PDA

View Full Version : quick bit of buying advice

chris16v
18-09-16, 21:14
hi

Seeing as this box only has one usb on the back, i just wondered if this model can happily support crossEPG download and PICONS within ram rather than on a USB stick ?

plus can a 2.5 in hdd happily sit internally without getting too hot?

thanks

danlou
18-09-16, 21:33
The advice is to not store EPG & PICONS on internal flash. So it would go on external USB or internal hard drive.

I have never owned a Xtrend 7500 but have used other internal HDD-capable boxes and no issues with storing epg/picons on internal drive. The USb would be sed for flashing or using as media player.

Andy_Hazza
18-09-16, 21:34
EPG data definitely a no no on flash. Thats not just this receiver either, EPG data should never be stored to flash on any receiver. Internal HDD will be just fine and store your EPG data to that. As for the Picons, should be ok to store to flash, but depends which ones. If the MK ones, you may struggle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chris16v
18-09-16, 23:02
thanks guys.
somehow i thought having crossepg on HDD would cause constant spinning of the disks, or maybe i have this confused with the picons.

i am looking for an entry level twin tuner box for my parents (hence i dont want any external hdd or usb stick dependency) to keep it simple. So i am looking for box to host internal hdd, removing the need for a usb plugged in the back for anything.

chris16v
18-09-16, 23:03
As for the Picons, should be ok to store to flash, but depends which ones. If the MK ones, you may struggle.

andy_hazza , what are MK picons?

Andy_Hazza
19-09-16, 05:48
These bad boys >> MK Picons (28.2 and UK cable) (DOWNLOAD ONLY)

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eworld-of-satellite%2Ecom%2Fshowthread%2Ephp%3Ft%3D41444&share_tid=41444&share_fid=12108&share_type=t

twol
20-09-16, 08:08
You should look at both the Edision Mini (internal WiFi capability) and the Xtrend ET7500, but neither come with internal hdd capability.
I always have always used a usb stick for picons (and also Crossepg when I use it) without any issues.
I tend to decide which picons I am using and then use my PC to copy the picons to each usb stick.

Using a usb has never been an issue, even for my in laws - who have broken everything else on my setup's but thats a different story:)

chris16v
21-09-16, 11:03
thanks guys
i have just taken delivery of both a Edision Mini and an Xtrend ET7500 to play with.

I built the Xtrend with latest VIX last night. Stuck the crossEPG on the HDD (internal), and picons in flash. Its running very nice so far and did the overnight epg update.

I will build the Edison Mini tonight.

blackvenom
21-09-16, 13:28
thanks guys
i have just taken delivery of both a Edision Mini and an Xtrend ET7500 to play with.

I built the Xtrend with latest VIX last night. Stuck the crossEPG on the HDD (internal), and picons in flash. Its running very nice so far and did the overnight epg update.

I will build the Edison Mini tonight.

I would be curious to know what you think between the two boxes. I went for the Edision over the ET7500 and so far have found if you don't point the remote directly at the receiver it doesn't pick up the signal. I got the twin sat model and also noticed the chipsets for the two tuners are by two different manufacturers which seems a bit odd to me but what do I know lol.

snootyfox
26-11-16, 23:47
Can some please tell me the sata spec for the 2.5" HDD for the ET7500. I've had a look in the manual but no mention if it is sata I, II, III.