PDA

View Full Version : username/password

nottsdeano
14-09-16, 17:09
Hi to everyone, I have just got a gigablue quad plus and everything works fine but I need to talk to the box via ftp and think it is password protected as the default does not work. Can anyone suggest how to bypass it or reset it back to default one..

Cheers Dean.

twol
14-09-16, 17:18
I guess it depends where you got it from?, but should be root and blank password

Larry-G
14-09-16, 17:53
On a clean untampered with ViX image (not the so called backup images other forums put out) there is no password as default. However some ftp clients still require you to input one.

In those cases any password will work, but it's always best for you to set your own as soon as you can.

nottsdeano
14-09-16, 18:43
Thanks for your replies guys, I got it second hand and has had the username and password changed. If I factory reset the box and start from scratch installing vix and channels ect will that go to default user and pass?

Larry-G
14-09-16, 18:51
Sadly factory reset on all E2 based receivers is very misleading, in that it won't return the receiver back to factory but rather erase the user area of the current installed image.

This may or may not reset the password but as it's secondhand I'd recommend you just reflash a new clean image your self. It does not have to be the absolute latest image you can even get the same one your currently using just to make sure it's clean and has no hidden nasties inside. But as always make a backup first so you don't loose any files you may need later.

jukkal2
14-09-16, 21:47
I'm surprised I haven't seen nobody suggest the following procedure to restore the settings without root password after the flashing, and I haven't tried it myself, but I think it SHOULD work:
:
1: make a settings backup, saving it to a usb stick (obviously you can't ftp it from the receiver when you don't know a user/password to do that)
2: extract the backup file to a temporary directory on a computer
3: delete etc/passwd from the directory structure of the extracted backup file
4: make a new tar.gz file so it doesn't contain etc/passwd, making sure it contains otherwise the same directory structure as the original one. Copy it back to the usb stick
5: reflash the receiver
6: restore settings from the modified settings backup file you copied to the usb stick

That way the newly flashed receiver should have otherwise all the previous settings, but the root password should be empty and there should be no other users.

ccs
14-09-16, 21:56
.... aren't passwords stored in /etc/shadow??

birdman
14-09-16, 21:56
3: delete etc/passwd from the directory structure of the extracted backup file
4: make a new tar.gz file so it doesn't contain etc/passwd, making sure it contains otherwise the same directory structure as the original one. Copy it back to the usb stickIn which case I'm surprised that you didn't just say to edit out the root password from etc/shadow.

nottsdeano
15-09-16, 07:17
Thanks for the advise I have reflashed the box and up and running ..

jukkal2
15-09-16, 15:40
In which case I'm surprised that you didn't just say to edit out the root password from etc/shadow.

Right, I forgot etc/shadow. That should also be removed from the edited backup copy.
Like I said, I haven't tried that myself..

birdman
15-09-16, 17:31
Right, I forgot etc/shadow. That should also be removed from the edited backup copy.
Like I said, I haven't tried that myself..It shouldn't be removed. You need to empty the password field for root in it and leave all files in place.

jukkal2
16-09-16, 15:58
Like I said, I haven't tried that myself..

It shouldn't be removed. You need to empty the password field for root in it and leave all files in place.

Remove FROM THE SETTINGS BACKUP COPY. So, when you flash the image, the file gets loaded from the image, and that one will remain on the box when there isn't another version in the settings backup to replace it. Isn't that how restoring the backup copy works?

birdman
16-09-16, 21:17
Remove FROM THE SETTINGS BACKUP COPY. So, when you flash the image, the file gets loaded from the image, and that one will remain on the box when there isn't another version in the settings backup to replace it. Isn't that how restoring the backup copy works?Apologies. Good point. You're right.
If you delete shadow and passwd from the backup and restore to a freshly flashed image it will work.

jukkal2
17-09-16, 08:35
If you delete shadow and passwd from the backup and restore to a freshly flashed image it will work.

Now that I think about it, you can also do it after after flashing when the password has been reset, so you can copy the backup file from the receiver to the computer and the modified version back to the receiver via the network connection, without usng the usb stick.
So, the procedure without using the usb stick:
- make a backup copy to the receiver's disk
- reflash
- copy the backup file to the computer
- extract the files from the backup file
- remove etc/password and etc/shadow from the backup directory structure
- make the modified backup file
- copy the modified backup file back to the receiver
- restore settings from that backup file

ferrarie
13-02-21, 15:53
go to your network settings, password - and put your password there (example: root) then you can do what you want user root, password root , good luck, stay save, and have fun

Huevos
13-02-21, 16:22
go to your network settings, password - and put your password there (example: root) then you can do what you want user root, password root , good luck, stay save, and have funThis thread is 5 years old.