PDA

View Full Version : rebooting solo

lumberjack
06-09-16, 21:24
A friend bought a vu+ solo from wos about 3-4 years ago and now has a problem.

He is ready to re order but I suggested I might post first and ask here.

It goes into a reboot almost all the time, he has never flashed it as it came ready so i suggested a new flash might help.

Thoughts please

thanks

Sicilian
06-09-16, 21:49
Old vu+ solo is a bit low spec'd for today's images. Try a USB reflash, but think it will struggle.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cactikid
07-09-16, 07:59
have to agree on that it will struggle,did he have swapfile enabled with a usb plugged into rear or hdd?

lumberjack
07-09-16, 20:44
I know he has told me that there is a 500gb connected for recording

Swap file wise, is there a setting he can check.

I have also asked that he check that it is not sitting on other stuff and running hot, he will know more friday as it is at his daughters
I will then help him flash it up via phone as he is 150 miles away.

thanks for help

have to agree on that it will struggle,did he have swapfile enabled with a usb plugged into rear or hdd?

Sicilian
07-09-16, 20:59
To create swap file, press blue button > ViX > Swap manager.

lumberjack
08-09-16, 00:31
Thanks

I am assuming that a swap file is used to help if one is running low on hdd space, if so I really feel my mate would not have
the know how to do that.

He bought the box as mentioned from w.o.s & he would not know how to "play" with it, which would also apply to his daughter
whom he bought the box for.

I guess that would rule out a swap file, I am as mentioned waiting to see if it is a heat issue.

thanks

To create swap file, press blue button > ViX > Swap manager.

abu baniaz
08-09-16, 00:35
a swap file is virtual memory, i.e extra RAM. Not HDD/storage space

lumberjack
08-09-16, 10:20
Yes mate I know

as mentioned used when hdd space is low I guess, just the same as a pc bites into your ram when running out of hard disk space as it runs out of space to put the temporary files (swap) so uses processor where possible.

I assumed the same thing must happen with a swap file on the solo, hence my comment

thanks

lumberjack
09-09-16, 10:45
Great

thanks for clearing that up

Vix wise, as it came from w.o.s about 3-4 years ago I guess 3 something

He is to let me know various stuff about it today as previously mentioned.

lumberjack
09-09-16, 22:30
I realised what I had posted but too late to edit.

Obviously a pc uses a swap file out to hdd when ram is struggling, expanding it via a swap file, not the other way round.

Considering the amount of systems I have built & repaired over the years I am beggered if I know why I stated it the way I did, I really should know better lol

cactikid
10-09-16, 09:07
i would also query if he has a working epg and where is it saving if not having a usb or hdd in use, ok read back and has 500 gb
in use and epg going to it?

lumberjack
10-09-16, 10:43
Agreed

he did say he would find out various things on friday and ring me

For me the most important question he yet to answer is if it is in a confined space & overheating.

I usually find that an iffy power supply not giving enough amps or a box overheating causes rebooting.

Will advise here once I know more thanks

i would also query if he has a working epg and where is it saving if not having a usb or hdd in use, ok read back and has 500 gb
in use and epg going to it?