PDA

View Full Version : Benefits of Xtrend ET7500 combo over Edison OS Mini combo?

blackvenom
06-09-16, 19:46
So I am a beginner and this will be my first box.

I already have hardware to run KODI so that's not an issue.

I currently have two Sky sat feeds into the house and one VM cable feed (with a subscription). To start off I didn't want to spend too much and shortlisted the Xtrend ET7500 and Edison OS Mini combo boxes. These also seem to be recommended together in various threads on WoS. Apart from the added benefit of being able to have an internal drive in the Xtrend I don't really see what the Xtrend has to offer that the Edison doesn't do.

If you guys can enlighten me I would appreciate it. Thanks

Sicilian
06-09-16, 19:52
Xtrend ET7500 has internal SATA HDD faclity, swappable 2nd tuner, Nice front display, rear eSATAp port. ET7500 does not have wifi that the Edision has but you could use a USB wifi adapter if needed.

blackvenom
06-09-16, 20:11
Xtrend ET7500 has internal SATA HDD faclity, swappable 2nd tuner, Nice front display, rear eSATAp port. ET7500 does not have wifi that the Edision has but you could use a USB wifi adapter if needed.

It does look like a nicer box from the pictures. The WiFi portion isn't a deal breaker as it'll be hard wired to the router. What about performance wise?

Sicilian
06-09-16, 20:14
Performance is comparable. Main point for me on the Xtrend ET7500 is nice front display and internal SATA HDD facility. If you're not bothered by those features save some money and go for the Edision OS Mini Combo.

blackvenom
07-09-16, 05:24
Performance is comparable. Main point for me on the Xtrend ET7500 is nice front display and internal SATA HDD facility.

Support also seems to be well given for both products too. My sticking point is also the HDD capability of the Xtrend ET7500.

twol
07-09-16, 07:19
I had one of the first ET7500 shipped in Europe and its still plodding away without any issues for me, so reliability has been excellent.

iain66
07-09-16, 10:24
I have the edision combo box running vix never misses a beat and does what it says on the tin no complaints here

Andy_Hazza
07-09-16, 11:25
Just a shame the os mini doesn't take an internal hdd, big deal breaker imo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

blackvenom
07-09-16, 12:22
Just a shame the os mini doesn't take an internal hdd, big deal breaker imo.

I was thinking that initially and was hoping there would be other compelling reasons to get the Xtrend but it seems there isn't. I've come to the decision that I'll be recording to a networked drive so missing the internal hard drive won't be much of an issue I don't think.

blackvenom
07-09-16, 14:48
It's just a shame there isn't a box in the same price range that has a dual sat input and a single cable input, or one of either with the possibility of upgrading in the future.

twol
07-09-16, 16:02
As you probably have read, the best you can get with the ET7500 is the onboard dvb-s2 tuner and plugin dvb-s2 or C/t2 tuner:)

blackvenom
07-09-16, 20:00
As you probably have read, the best you can get with the ET7500 is the onboard dvb-s2 tuner and plugin dvb-s2 or C/t2 tuner:)

The cheapest I could find that had a twin sat and single cable was the Xtrend ET8500 at £219 eeek

twol
07-09-16, 20:12
.... and thats heavily reduced since I bought my ET8500's, so really a good price:)

blackvenom
09-09-16, 07:39
Pay day is here [emoji1360] Will I need a USB stick with the Edison to store the EPG data etc? If so, how much room does this usually take up?

.... and thats heavily reduced since I bought my ET8500's, so really a good price:)

I noticed that too. Still out of my price range ATM though [emoji17]

Sicilian
09-09-16, 07:42
USB stick is handy to store picons and epg data, 2gb is more than enough.