PDA

View Full Version : Single cable and LNB output into reciver dual inputs

ALIEN1X
01-09-16, 21:29
Hi,
I'm thinking of buying a VU+solo2 and make use of dual recording when required.
The problem is that I only have one LNB and single cable. I do not want to run another cable or start drilling more holes through my walls.

The VU+ SOLO2 has only 2 LNB inputs at the back an no loop through or out put?

How can I make use of daul recording with a single cable?
Is there an internal loop trhough setiing?

Why can't I use satellite spliter ? Some say these can dmage your LNB and reciver so why are thee sold?

All I want to do is record 2 different channels at the same time using one single cable from my dish.

abu baniaz
01-09-16, 21:53
only way of doing independent recordings is to change LNB to unicable type. you can then use a splitter

if you use internal loop through, you will have limited features.

cactikid
01-09-16, 23:34
1 cable and 1lnb is old skool,when you add a bigger quad lnb and extra cables does open up your viewing and recording.

ALIEN1X
02-09-16, 12:03
only way of doing independent recordings is to change LNB to unicable type. you can then use a splitter

if you use internal loop through, you will have limited features.

If I change my LNB to unicable type, where would I out the spliter to avoid mass cables entering the house, would this be out side ?

I also have 3 x DVBT2 terrestrial tuner all lopped using one cable feed form 1 aerial, would this have the same issues of limited featrures, for example the new humax DVBT2 has 3 tuners an only 1 aerial input? Or is it different for satellite feeds?

ALIEN1X
02-09-16, 14:49
You can put the splitter where you want, right next to the box is fine. A basic Unicable set-up is under £17 and literally just requires you to remove the existing cable from the single LNB, swap the LNB over and re-connect the cable, go to the box end, attach the splitter and then two small fly leads from the splitter to the LNB's. Full job should take about 10-15 mins and cost under £20.

A set up diagram would help?

s2tephen
02-09-16, 20:41
Google Stacker DeStacker

ALIEN1X
02-09-16, 22:58
http://www.inverto.tv/guide/?p=12

Have a read :)

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=stacker+destacker+review&biw=1366&bih=614&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwih4vvA0_HOAhVnL8AKHQXJB5QQ_AUICCgD&dpr=1#tbm=isch&q=unicable+spliter+&imgrc=XPAX17HYwtM5LM%3A

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=stacker+destacker+review&biw=1366&bih=614&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwih4vvA0_HOAhVnL8AKHQXJB5QQ_AUICCgD&dpr=1#tbm=isch&q=unicable+spliter++set+up&imgrc=h8UoikMakON9tM%3A

The above links shows a unicable spliter with 2 cables from tuner into spliter with single cable out to dish LNB - Any thoughts on that?

abu baniaz
02-09-16, 23:07
the single wire is from lnb. it goes to splitter. from splitter, it goes to different tuners.

you can do this because it is a unicable LNB. You can't split a normal/standard/non-unicable LNB.

With a 4 channel/SCR unicable LNB, you can split and provide 4 tuners. If you want to connect to more than 4 tuners, get a 32 channel one.

You can use more than one splitter.

ALIEN1X
02-09-16, 23:49
the single wire is from lnb. it goes to splitter. from splitter, it goes to different tuners.

you can do this because it is a unicable LNB. You can't split a normal/standard/non-unicable LNB.

With a 4 channel/SCR unicable LNB, you can split and provide 4 tuners. If you want to connect to more than 4 tuners, get a 32 channel one.

You can use more than one splitter.

Thanks so that's just what I need to do without mass re-cabling. So all I need is One unicable lnb with single output and one 2 way or even 3 way unicable spliter conceted to dualtuner and tuner in tv....correct?

And that should allow me to dual record from my twin tunner I hope?

Will degrade the signal?

abu baniaz
02-09-16, 23:58
Thanks so that's just what I need to do without mass re-cabling. So all I need is One unicable lnb with single output and one 2 way or even 3 way unicable splitter connected to dual tuner and tuner in tv....correct?

And that should allow me to dual record from my twin tunner I hope?

Will degrade the signal?

Are you saying your TV has a satellite tuner?
Are you also saying that you will be connecting the satellite signal wire to the TV.

ALIEN1X
03-09-16, 12:58
Are you saying your TV has a satellite tuner?
Are you also saying that you will be connecting the satellite signal wire to the TV.

I will have a twin sat tunner hopefully, subject to advise and discussions before I buy.

My intentions so far is to change my Single LNB for a single unicable LNB connected by single existing sat cable to Unicable 3 way spliter.

From unicable 3 spliter I take 2 connections into a twin tuner sat box and the third connection I take into the tv inbuilt freesat tunner.

If the above is not possible I can always go for 2 way unicable spliter into the twin tunner sat box.

The reason for the above set up is so that I can dual record on twin sat tunner if and when I need to.

The connection to the in built TV sat tunner is so that my family members can use the TV sat channels which would be more simpler then using a Linux box and messing around with channels and settings etc or move the dish motor etc. All channels will be facing the same sat when used

abu baniaz
03-09-16, 13:18
You must establish whether the DVB-S tuner on your Television set supports unicable. If it does not, you will have problems.

or move the dish motor etc. All channels will be facing the same sat when used

I hope you are not planning to use a unicable LNB on a motorised dish and then using just one wire to that is split to multiple receivers. The unicable LNB is not designed for this. It was designed for connecting multiple receivers to the same satellite. If one receiver moves it, how are other receivers meant to know? In theory it is possible to design software for loop through, but that would only work on the same receiver. As it is not the logical usage of the LNB, nobody has designed/altered the software. Not even motivated to do so.

N.B
If you have configured the receiver properly (hardware and software wise) the receiver will do all the movements on its own.
In AutoBouquetsMaker, there is a Freesat provider. You can schedule ABM so that the channel list is updated daily.

ALIEN1X
03-09-16, 14:30
You must establish whether the DVB-S tuner on your Television set supports unicable. If it does not, you will have problems.

I hope you are not planning to use a unicable LNB on a motorised dish and then using just one wire to that is split to multiple receivers. The unicable LNB is not designed for this. It was designed for connecting multiple receivers to the same satellite. If one receiver moves it, how are other receivers meant to know? In theory it is possible to design software for loop through, but that would only work on the same receiver. As it is not the logical usage of the LNB, nobody has designed/altered the software. Not even motivated to do so.

N.B
If you have configured the receiver properly (hardware and software wise) the receiver will do all the movements on its own.
In AutoBouquetsMaker, there is a Freesat provider. You can schedule ABM so that the channel list is updated daily.

I Have a motorised dish and the intention was to use a unicable with single wire as above etc.
It will be connected to the same twin tuner sat receiver so when sat dish is turned the dual channels will face the same saterlite to record from. I will only have one twin tuner receiver?

So it will be 1 twin tuner sat receiver and 1 tv with built in freesat tuner.

The inbuilt tv freesat will not be used during that time when dish is moved and if it is, the dish will be turned for that freesat receiver function only?

The only time sat receiver and tv in built receiver will be used at the same time is when all are facing the same satellite 28e and recording from twin tuner the channels I want on that saterlite and also viewing from tv freesat tuner other channesl on same saterlite which will be all at 28e ?

Huevos
03-09-16, 15:06
There is no option in the software for Unicable on a motor.

ALIEN1X
03-09-16, 19:58
There are various types of Unicable LNB which is the best quality one I need for a twin sat receiver which has 2 LNB inputs and I want to use one cable from LNB as most unicable LNBS have 4 terminals?

Do I only use the one terminal on the lnb and leave the rest I know one should go to the sat motor?

abu baniaz
03-09-16, 20:09
you can't use a unicable lnb on a motorised setup.

ALIEN1X
03-09-16, 22:31
you can't use a unicable lnb on a motorised setup.

Oh dear dam now I'm really buggered. Guess the only dual sat tuner I can by is VU SOLO SE V2 which has one input and loop out

abu baniaz
03-09-16, 22:50
That wont work either.

To record two channels from two different transponders (on same device) you need either:

Two independent/direct/(i.e no splitter fitted) wires direct from conventional LNB to two satellite tuners.

A unicable LNB with a splitter and wires connected to the two tuners on the same device

Huevos
03-09-16, 23:56
If you have the motorised dish and just a single cable, use a Universal LNB. Plug the cable into socket B of the Solo2 and configure the motor. Link internally to tuner A. Tuner A will work for transponders on the same sub-band and satellite. This mean tuner A will be severely crippled.

Or if you are limited to one dish, point it at 28E and use the Unicable LNB. Connect the cable to socket B and link internally. No splitter needed.

Or do it properly and get 2 dishes, one for 28E (with Unicable) and one for motorised.

ALIEN1X
04-09-16, 17:38
That wont work either.

To record two channels from two different transponders (on same device) you need either:

Two independent/direct/(i.e no splitter fitted) wires direct from conventional LNB to two satellite tuners.

A unicable LNB with a splitter and wires connected to the two tuners on the same device

Yes I know, but as u have mentioned Unjcable will not work with motorised system.

So the Solo se v2 is the only box I can use but obviously not full dual recording with limited function.

Or I could go for VU+SOLO 2 and use one tuner and internally looped from B to A on a temporary basis and accept limited dual tuner function, until next summer during good weather I can have a go at re-cabling

Loking at the specs between both of those receivers the only diffence is twin tuner function and internal hardrive capability both on the solo 2

ALIEN1X
04-09-16, 17:50
If you have the motorised dish and just a single cable, use a Universal LNB. Plug the cable into socket B of the Solo2 and configure the motor. Link internally to tuner A. Tuner A will work for transponders on the same sub-band and satellite. This mean tuner A will be severely crippled.

Or if you are limited to one dish, point it at 28E and use the Unicable LNB. Connect the cable to socket B and link internally. No splitter needed.

Or do it properly and get 2 dishes, one for 28E (with Unicable) and one for motorised.

When u mean Tuner A looped form tuner B will be crippled you mean limited function or damaged?

Andy_Hazza
04-09-16, 18:12
You can split cable and terrestrial without loss of features, unfortunately you can't split satellite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

abu baniaz
04-09-16, 18:17
So the Solo se v2 is the only box I can use but obviously not full dual recording with limited function.

What makes you reach this conclusion? All twin tuner receivers can do this withone cable connected. The cable with no wore must be configured correctly. You need to connect wire to tuner B.

Reading between the lines, being able to connect the satellite wire to two devices (TV being the second device) is a must fro you. In that case you can use a splitter that stops voltage going between devices. Voltage must go from one device to the LNB. Only this device will be able to send commands to the LNB. All other devices will not know they cannot control teh LNB and you will get tune failed if tehy attempt to tune to a service that is not on the same quadrant of servces that a standard LNB can tune to.

A standard LNB can tune to horizontal, vertical, high and low planes. It switches mode when voltages are sent to it.

I wonder, is the Et8500 near this apparatus. If so, why not just use that instead of getting a new receiver.

Huevos
04-09-16, 21:00
Loking at the specs between both of those receivers the only diffence is twin tuner function and internal hardrive capability both on the solo 2Specs don't tell the full story. Solo2 has a much more professional finish, and a front display. I've had both and much prefer the Solo2. And internal HDD is a massive plus.

ALIEN1X
05-09-16, 15:57
You can split cable and terrestrial without loss of features, unfortunately you can't split satellite.

Thanks, that makes things a little clear although I have noticed signal degradation when I split my ET8500 PVR (3 X dvbt2) and the in built tv freeview tuner.

Andy_Hazza
05-09-16, 16:00
Thanks, that makes things a little clear although I have noticed signal degradation when I split my ET8500 PVR (3 X dvbt2) and the in built tv freeview tuner.

You may need an attenuator?

ALIEN1X
05-09-16, 16:15
What makes you reach this conclusion? All twin tuner receivers can do this withone cable connected. The cable with no wore must be configured correctly. You need to connect wire to tuner B.

Reading between the lines, being able to connect the satellite wire to two devices (TV being the second device) is a must fro you. In that case you can use a splitter that stops voltage going between devices. Voltage must go from one device to the LNB. Only this device will be able to send commands to the LNB. All other devices will not know they cannot control teh LNB and you will get tune failed if tehy attempt to tune to a service that is not on the same quadrant of servces that a standard LNB can tune to.

A standard LNB can tune to horizontal, vertical, high and low planes. It switches mode when voltages are sent to it.

I wonder, is the Et8500 near this apparatus. If so, why not just use that instead of getting a new receiver.

I have a ET8500 but only use it as Terrestrial PVR (3 X dvbt2).

I prefer the VU+ as sat receiver due to its support and development and features. Currently I have TM6800 hd supper using CCAM WITH usual problems of freezing and stutter, I guess the box was never designed to handle that.

Hence the preference for VU+ as it can handle CCAM better being LINUX and plugin options.

So my only hurdle like everyone mentions I need 2 cables or setlle for one on a temporary basis until I getthe chance to try and re-cable. I understand I can not use Unicable as I have A Motorised system.

ALIEN1X
05-09-16, 16:28
You may need an attenuator?

Possibly I assume that regulates or increases the signal?
All the pictures are fine but I can see lower signal bar on my in buit tv tuner when the ET8500 is switched on and recording other channels.
Quality of the dvbt2 tuners on the ET8500 appears better than my Samsung KS9000. Both devices are split via aerial splitter. Apologies from moving off topic here.

ccs
05-09-16, 16:34
An attenuator is used to reduce the signal if it is too strong.

Sounds like the splitter you're using isn't helping matters.

I use a 4-way variable gain signal booster to feed dvbt2 tuners independently, but a better quality splitter might be all you need.

I'm sure someone on here will soon advise.

ps. For me, Freeview signal quality is very variable at the moment due to weather/atmospherics, so now might not be the best time to be comparing signal levels.

abu baniaz
05-09-16, 16:50
Satellite set top box and Freesat receiver in TV = two satellite devices. As you intend to have two tuners on the satellite set top box, that is three tuners.

The answers to your questions have been given. Weather is still fine for you to run cables. I don't see the point in looping out/splitting to the TV satellite tuner apart from "not having to update settings" (a moot point if using ABM). Even if recording, your set top box can display the channels.

Note/Polite request:
People use question marks when asking questions. Your usage is out of context. It is difficult to understand whether you are asking a question or making a statement! Please only use the question mark when you are asking a question.

ALIEN1X
05-09-16, 20:14
Thanks noted