PDA

View Full Version : SD Picture quality help needed

walter_red
06-01-11, 23:37
Hi, very impressed with HD on the Duo but Sd is very blocky & banded. Any advice on the best settings ??

There seems to be a couple of 'scaler sharpness' in different places although I don't know what they do! Then block noise, mosquito etc, dynamic contrast, then the normal contrast & brightness !?:confused:

It seems everything I do makes it no better or worse - so I guess my 'base' is wrong to start with.

Sony Bravia LCD

thanks all

stuattravs
07-01-11, 00:44
Have you tried the auto-resolution plugin?

walter_red
09-01-11, 19:12
Have you tried the auto-resolution plugin?

Thanks - got that now and it has improved. I think also after watching HD whenever possible, SD on LCD does look awful most of the time anyway.

walter_red
21-01-11, 14:23
Ok after trying for a couple of weeks I now seem to have 'upset' the HD picture! 'Banding' is the main problem I just can't get rid of - like a light bulb in a dark room - instead of a glow there's loads of light-to-dark bands. And then huge moving 'blocks' in dark background scenery. Very irritating! If I check the same type of thing on the sly hd box through the same HDMI lead they are not there so I guess it's not TV settings so it must be the VU+ ?

I've turned off every enhancement feature on the TV settings (contrast, noise reduction etc) but nothing works. Is this just how it is with the duo? Shame if it is because on bright daylight scenes the picture is perfect.

canthackit
21-01-11, 18:09
some SD channels are frightingly appalling i'm talking about multisat channels here.

Nova, DigiAlb, even some on 28.2 can look pretty bad it's all about the low bitrate.

So give us some idea of some channels that you find bad?

regards: canthackit

walter_red
21-01-11, 21:13
some SD channels are frightingly appalling i'm talking about multisat channels here.

Nova, DigiAlb, even some on 28.2 can look pretty bad it's all about the low bitrate.

So give us some idea of some channels that you find bad?

regards: canthackit

Sorry, should have re-titled the thread. Sd has improved using autoresolution plugin, but I'm noticing 'banding' and blocky black backgrounds constantly moving around on some HD stuff - even on sky movie HD channels. I can't find a way to get rid of it. I was starting to fear my bravia lcd tv was dying but it's not like that with the proper sly box so I'm stumped.

If it's just the way it is with the VU+ then it's a small price to pay but I haven't noticed anyone mentioning HD picture quality being duff!

cheers

t.ph
21-01-11, 21:59
You dont say that you have tried adjusting the "Mode" & "Refresh Rate" in A/V Settings on the box?