PDA

View Full Version : Fan settings

dangerousmouse
27-08-16, 13:26
Hi All
I've noticed the fan is constantly running on this receiver unless you turn the receiver off at the switch on the rear. Before i go trying out the various settings for the fan control what have other users found to be an optimum setting.
Receiver would be in use from say 4pm to 11pm so i don't see the need for the fan to be running for 24 hours a day (unless i'm wrong)

Many thanks in advance

twol
27-08-16, 14:23
Have a look at http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?52585-Fan-Control-Xtrend-ET8500-!

Sicilian
28-08-16, 08:25
There is a setting to set 'fan off in standby'.

Once in standby its takes 2-3 mins for the fan to switch off.

dangerousmouse
28-08-16, 08:28
Right that makes sense now as it was running on a bit I didn't wait long enough to see it go off.
Thanks

Larry-G
28-08-16, 08:33
There is no harm in letting the fan run all day, especially in warm temperatures like we have had in the uk recently in fact thats what its built for. The fan should last the life of the receiver even if it's running all the time (unless its a cheap part like the technomates I have (The three E2 boxes not the two E1 boxes, there solid and always have been), the E2 boxes (mainly the Nano OE and Nano 2 super) their fans were dirt cheap and burned through almost instantly.

Rob van der Does
28-08-16, 08:42
Most E2 boxes actually don't even need a fan at all (provided there is no HDD built in). There are plenty of users (of all brands) who even disconnected the fan, as it's only a source of noise.
On top of that the temperature read-out that some boxes have is rather useless, as one has no idea where exactly the sensor is placed. if it's inside the SoC a temperature of over 100 degress would be normal, and if it's not in the SoC the value doesn't mean anything.
Also feeling the temperature of the casing doesn't mean anything, as that's only the heat that has left the components.

All in all: never worry about the STB's temperature.

Larry-G
28-08-16, 08:45
There is no harm in letting the fan run all day, especially in warm temperatures like we have had in the uk recently in fact thats what its built for. The fan should last the life of the receiver even if it's running all the time (unless its a cheap part like the technomates I have (The three E2 boxes not the two E1 boxes, there solid and always have been), the E2 boxes (mainly the Nano OE and Nano 2 super) their fans were dirt cheap and burned through almost instantly.

Don't get me wrong I am not knocking the TM's there overall solid receivers and the Nano 2 super is up there on par as my favorite overall receiver alongside the Solo2 but the fans really let my examples down and is why they are no longer being used as they sound like jet turbines once they get spun up.

Larry-G
28-08-16, 08:48
Most E2 boxes actually don't even need a fan at all (provided there is no HDD built in). There are plenty of users (of all brands) who even disconnected the fan, as it's only a source of noise.
On top of that the temperature read-out that some boxes have is rather useless, as one has no idea where exactly the sensor is placed. if it's inside the SoC a temperature of over 100 degress would be normal, and if it's not in the SoC the value doesn't mean anything.
Also feeling the temperature of the casing doesn't mean anything, as that's only the heat that has left the components.

All in all: never worry about the STB's temperature.

Agreed as long as they have a good airflow around the receiver and it's not just thrown in a enclosed cupboard and hidden away it will be fine, but I would still rather have the piece of mind of a working fan especially as we have had a run of extremely hot temperatures this past few weeks even as far north as Durham where I am.

Rob van der Does
28-08-16, 08:49
The fan of the TM N2S is rather annoying: it makes an enormous amount of noise, no matter how low I set the speed. Probably due to it's location.

Larry-G
28-08-16, 08:53
The fan of the TM N2S is rather annoying: it makes an enormous amount of noise, no matter how low I set the speed. Probably due to it's location.

Mine almost tore it self apart (literally) so I put the one out of the nano OE in it and it did the same again in less than a week (I always set my fans to a low speed as well so it's not like it was going too fast).

dangerousmouse
28-08-16, 10:54
Quite interesting these fans as I never really noticed the fan running in my mutant 2400HD, it's been great from the day I plugged it in, never really noticed it. It was only purchasing the 8500 that I started to notice how loud the fan is. I'll have a play around with the settings and adjust it to suit. My receivers don't get hammered with use so i'm sure tuning it down slightly won't effort the longevity of the receiver.