PDA

View Full Version : [TM-TWIN-OE] Any new boxes with upgradable RAM?

Piranha
26-08-16, 14:13
There is little doubt that my two old TM Twin boxes are starting to struggle with the newer images, despite having swap files set up.

A couple of years so they seemed pretty fast, but now, even with no additional plugins installed, other than Vix HD-Blue skin, they are slow to display the EPG and slow to change channels. There is the same marked delay switching between FTA channels, so it is unlikely to be a Softcam related issue.

I invariably flash a new image with no settings or plugins restore by preference and find that the boxes are quite responsive for a few days or so, then gradually slow down reaction time, by which time the spinning blue wheel demonstrates that the RAM is fully occupied!

I have scoured the logs and find nothing out of the ordinary, so I am starting to accept that it is time to upgrade to newer boxes!

Back to my original question - are there any new E2 boxes that have PC-like RAM slots so that one can increase the installed RAM?

Or - is it more a case of processor speed, as the old TM twin chipset is a bit tardy in comparison to newer boxes?

Thoughts anyone?

rossi2000
26-08-16, 14:16
there is nothing upgradable unfortunaltey, its all built into motherboard

Larry-G
26-08-16, 14:58
The twin OE was based directly on the original Duo so it's no real surprise that it's now starting to struggle with modern images (although some will no doubt contest that statement, even though I have two duo's and a twin OE setup here or at relatives but hey ho there you go).

the bare minimum spec I would go for Vu + wise would be a solo2 or the solo SE any thing else is getting on a bit (solo, duo, uno, ultimo and I have both a uno and ultimo in daily use). Although that said th Vu+ boxes can be a bit over priced. So try some of the above suggestions.