PDA

View Full Version : playing xvid/avi movies etc through the usb ports ?

BRAVEHEART
06-01-11, 22:06
is it possible to play downloaded movies like you get off the torrents etc and put them on a usb stick and play via the vu+duo or are those ports for entirley different things than that like flashing updates etc ?

Thanks and all the best for 2011 guys :thumbsup:

BRAVEHEART
06-01-11, 23:27
anyone know ?

Malcolm-X
07-01-11, 00:24
This has been asked before buddy and a quick search would have answered it for you.

Basically yes the VU+ will play .avi files to some degree (via Media Player), but some people have reported odd glitching / stutter etc on .avi files. I have watched some where it does this and some files work perfect so it must be something to do with resolutions and file properties etc.

.MP4 files work perfect with no issues and personally I am a bigger fan of .MP4 as the files seem to be smaller and also compatible with my iPhone / iPad & iTunes.

Also search VLC for VU+ for guides on streaming from PC to VU+.

Hope the above helps.

BRAVEHEART
07-01-11, 00:48
This has been asked before buddy and a quick search would have answered it for you.

Basically yes the VU+ will play .avi files to some degree (via Media Player), but some people have reported odd glitching / stutter etc on .avi files. I have watched some where it does this and some files work perfect so it must be something to do with resolutions and file properties etc.

.MP4 files work perfect with no issues and personally I am a bigger fan of .MP4 as the files seem to be smaller and also compatible with my iPhone / iPad & iTunes.

Also search VLC for VU+ for guides on streaming from PC to VU+.

Hope the above helps.

what you mean via media player though mate, i have a movie ready to play on a stick here, but i stick it in the slot it does nothing, can you help me or direct me to the tut please, thanks mate.

BRAVEHEART
07-01-11, 01:21
i had a look about but cant see where the section is that tells you how to do this, can someone help me please, i'm totally new to this so i dont know, i cant put it any more simple that, sorry i dont know the box inside out ? :(

Sicilian
07-01-11, 06:28
Press menu on you remote > Select Media Player > Navigate to your USB stick and try playing them. Another way is pressing your recordings button and navigating to them. I'd recommend HD mkv's with AC3 audio (pretty sure they play ok) rather than divx files. media file playback has improved a lot, but can still be hit and miss.

BRAVEHEART
08-01-11, 01:36
thanks for the instructions, i didnt know otherwise, and the wife is watchcing a usb stick movie now, so i will report back how it is, its the little fockers, we' shall see. thanks mate.

BRAVEHEART
08-01-11, 03:22
she watched it and said picture was fine but sound breakup every 5 minutes or so, now that could be down to the box, the movie and/or the usb stick, hard to tell, hmmmm. interesting, she still enjoyed it even with the sound creaking up, llol,

the movie was the little fockers, one of the first available decent versions.

maybe summit to do with the vix 1.3 image, i dont know, not got a clue.

BRAVEHEART
08-01-11, 06:55
anyone know if its the image and something that they are working on for version 1.4 ? sorry for asking, just wanted to know ? or is it just as sicilian says i need to get a larger usb stick and get mkv (blue ray) movies instead for on the usb stick ?

who actually writes the images, just anyone who can do it and has the knowledge, yea ?

Larry-G
08-01-11, 07:06
anyone know if its the image and something that they are working on for version 1.4 ? sorry for asking, just wanted to know ? or is it just as sicilian says i need to get a larger usb stick and get mkv (blue ray) movies instead for on the usb stick ?

who actually writes the images, just anyone who can do it and has the knowledge, yea ?

it's got nothing to do with the images to be fair, regardless of the claims on the side of the box support for AVI and other forms of video files are lacking from the manufacturers.

BRAVEHEART
08-01-11, 20:33
got her watching the new wall street movie, its AVi, so i will report back how it goes, and this time through my sound system.

tomthebomb1968
08-01-11, 21:01
I got the kidz Toy Story 3 Blu Ray mkv 720p DTS rip. Need to use amp for DTS sound but wow. Really impressed

BRAVEHEART
08-01-11, 22:03
really ???

so my sound system has dts, you saying i can play hacked blue ray files too (mkv) through the usb slot on the vu duo ???

edit:
also, could i in that case get a big external hard drive and download a load of mkv movies and plug the external drive into one of the usb ports and then the wife can watch mkv blue rays movies till her hearts content ?

edit two: shit, i just remembered my usb stick is only 4GB, so i would either need to buy a very large capacity usb stick or an external hard drive, hmmmm.

pooface
08-01-11, 23:41
You could convert xvid/avi files to MLB to work perfectly on the biz ;)

Sent from my HTC Vision using Tapatalk

BRAVEHEART
08-01-11, 23:46
no need to mate, my wife just got done watching a new cinema release on usb stick, it was an AVi file and it worked perfect, i really think its the source of the films that might cause some problems sometimes, thats what i think anyway.

BRAVEHEART
08-01-11, 23:48
TOMTHEBOMB1968, any chance you could answer my questions/points in posts 12/13 of this thread, thanks mate ?:D

p.s
got the wife watching robinhood avi/xvid on a stick again now, will report back if there was any problems at all.

Larry-G
08-01-11, 23:54
from what ive read .MKV's work almost flawless;y where the VU does have some problems with .AVI's.
and yes you can load them onto a external HDD. but you would know this if you spent a few seconds reading the forum instead of constantly begging for help and expecting all the answers given to you with no effort on your part.

BRAVEHEART
08-01-11, 23:54
got her watching the new wall street movie, its AVi, so i will report back how it goes, and this time through my sound system.

worked perfect.

BRAVEHEART
09-01-11, 00:03
from what ive read .MKV's work almost flawless;y where the VU does have some problems with .AVI's.
and yes you can load them onto a external HDD. but you would know this if you spent a few seconds reading the forum instead of constantly begging for help and expecting all the answers given to you with no effort on your part.

not into reading a lot of pages mate, my eyes get very sore a lot of the times and then i have to turn the thing off, dont get me wrong, generally when i am told something it stick in the brain forever, so i'm a great learner from that point of view but have never much been into trawling through endless pages of stuff till i find exactly what i need, thats why i prefer just to ask, i'm sorry if that offends you but thats just the way i am, once its learned i need not ask again and then the next time someone else asks the same question i can help them with that, so it goes both ways i guess.

anyways, thanks for your reply and i think i will be looking to buy an external hard drive now that just plugs straight into the usb port, do all the ports play all the same stuff or just the front port ? its cool if you dont want to answer me, i know where your coming from, thanks anyway.

Larry-G
09-01-11, 00:05
truthfully i have no idea as i dont own a VU.

BRAVEHEART
09-01-11, 00:44
sicilian, why are some of my posts being deleted without notification ?

BRAVEHEART
09-01-11, 00:46
another thing i have noticed when playing movies from the usb stick is that the picture is giant size, you know like zoomed in to full screen, is there a setting on the box that fixs that so that they play at the correct size of the original source video ?

Sicilian
09-01-11, 09:48
sicilian, why are some of my posts being deleted without notification ?

none of you posts have been deleted, I've checked the logs :trustme:

another thing i have noticed when playing movies from the usb stick is that the picture is giant size, you know like zoomed in to full screen, is there a setting on the box that fixs that so that they play at the correct size of the original source video ?

The media play side of things still need some improvements. The crackling you reported is most likely down to the pirate movie you where playing. Try playing mkv's with AC3 audio.

Stanman
09-01-11, 19:56
rather than buying usb drive, why dont you buy a NAS?
Will also keep us entertained as well:D:D

BRAVEHEART
09-01-11, 21:52
[Quote]none of you posts have been deleted, I've checked the logs[Quote]

yes there was, one post was deleted, for fact that i noticed within minutes last night, thats why i posted about it asking who done it and why, but anyway, thats no big deal, forget it, i'm not interested now.

what i am interested in is i notice you have a list of internal hard drives that will work in the box, if i was to buy an external one, does any old one do the job ? or is there better or worse ones, never bought one so i do not know. (and yes the media player needs worked on as all you get is a big daft picture that looks as though someone used the zoom in function on the tv remote, lol, shes happy enough with it the now anyway but i would prefer to see the movies the way they are meant to be, the way the guy made them when he put them on torrents for download etc, like widescreen etc, i hate that giant picture as its losing all the picture quality cause its zoomed in.

could i ask when we are likley to see a difference in the media player and/or are you saying mkv's play perfect size ?

cause i'm in two minds right now whether or not to buy a blue ray player machine that plays mkv too, one with usb ports etc that do the job, but thats just stupid if the vu duo media player will be perfected soon, you know what i mean ?

cheers mate.

thanks sicilian man.

Sicilian
09-01-11, 21:54
Personally I use a Mede8er for all my media files, plays everything I throw at it ;)

BRAVEHEART
09-01-11, 21:55
Personally I use a Mede8er for all my media files, plays everything I throw at it ;)

a what ? lol

Sicilian
09-01-11, 21:58
a what ? lol

One of theese

http://www.mede8er.eu/

but tbh one of these are just as good and cheaper

http://www.digitalpromo.co.uk/sumvision-cyclone-mkv-nas-ready-500gb-media-player-full-1080p-with-dts-and-many-more-features-p-5253.html

BRAVEHEART
09-01-11, 22:52
One of theese

http://www.mede8er.eu/

but tbh one of these are just as good and cheaper

http://www.digitalpromo.co.uk/sumvision-cyclone-mkv-nas-ready-500gb-media-player-full-1080p-with-dts-and-many-more-features-p-5253.html

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, both of those look very very good :), which one is the best you think ?

Sicilian
09-01-11, 22:57
If I'm honest I'd say save your money and go with the sumvision version. They both run on the same chipset. I've opened both up and both look pretty much identical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BRAVEHEART
09-01-11, 23:05
the sumvision looks good to me mate and i think thats what i will go for, but i see its optical audio out, and my optical audio input is already in use, can you recommened a splitter that would allow me to split the optical audio cable, unless theres a special cable i can buy that has optical one end and digital coax other end ?? cause i have both optical and coax inputs on my amp ???

plus please be honest, your opinion on the sumvision, on a scale of 1 to 100% ?

thanks again.

ohh, another thing, is it pretty portable for lifting from the living room setup to the other room when wanting to upload movies etc onto it ?

silverfox0786
10-01-11, 08:22
hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, both of those look very very good :), which one is the best you think ?

i brought the sumbvision off Sic and i love it its brilliant

Sicilian
10-01-11, 11:26
the sumvision looks good to me mate and i think thats what i will go for, but i see its optical audio out, and my optical audio input is already in use, can you recommened a splitter that would allow me to split the optical audio cable, unless theres a special cable i can buy that has optical one end and digital coax other end ?? cause i have both optical and coax inputs on my amp ???

Never used any, maybe have a google about.

plus please be honest, your opinion on the sumvision, on a scale of 1 to 100% ?

thanks again.

ohh, another thing, is it pretty portable for lifting from the living room setup to the other room when wanting to upload movies etc onto it ?

I'd defo give it 9/10, but thats just my opinion. You could network it and transfer you movies/media over your network, but yes its quite portable.