PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Duo2] Confused how to setup Ethernet extender.

sandiego69
25-08-16, 18:36
I have a Buffalo Ethernet extender which I have been happily using for some time. Unfortunately due to a new Router the settings don't work.

In the Vu+ Device setup section there is WLAN and LAN. The only one that is active is the LAN. This is where I am confused as I thought that originally the connection to my Router was via WI-FI.

Where am I going wrong? How do I make the Vu+ talk to my Router? I remember that somewhere I did not use DCHP and had a fixed IP address of 192.168.1.77

Please let me have the steps to make the Network work.

Ashley69
25-08-16, 19:17
If you have a ethernet cable going into your VU box you are using the LAN connection.
You may have to turn on your DHCP and reboot your box.
Then go back to device setup and reconfigure your settings. It could be your new router has a different ip range.

Sicilian
26-08-16, 05:56
The buffalo extender most likely needs to be setup to connect to your wifi first.

Which model is it, pretty sure it will have its own IP and web interface.

Rob van der Does
27-08-16, 03:06
Why you'd use such a sadistic system is beyond me when it's £4 or less for a wifi dongle for the Vu and removes a whole load of variables.
Because it's a perfect solution: stable, fast, reliable. Whereas a dongle always depends on functioning drivers, which aren't always available. Plus that the built-in antenna will provide minimal reception, due to a hidden location behind a box in a complex electrical situation (depending on local circumstances).
Once a bridge has been setup, which should be fairly easy and a once-in-a-lifetime job, you can connect as many devices as you want, and all of them will have a decent LAN connection to your home network.

And yes, obviously you would only use a bridge if no wired-LAN is available....

sandiego69
27-08-16, 07:00
Thank you Rob. I wasn't going to respond to the rudeness of the previous poster.
I did not have the manual to refer to but I remembered that it was defaulting to 1.1.1.1 as an address. which made it difficult to setup.

The other reason I use the Buffalo is I can connect my Vu+, TV, Freeview box and DVD player all talking to the Internet!

Good enough reasons Avalon.

Ashley69
27-08-16, 08:17
I had a feeling it might be the IP range. If I can find the manual(very unlikely due to my wife's OCD at binning everything) I will let you know how to resolve the IP issue.
If you just google buffalo setup there are plenty of instructions how to set up.

birdman
27-08-16, 09:00
Because it's a perfect solution: stable, fast, reliable.It's what I use, as I had a spare Edimax dual-band router lying around. It enables me to connect my TV. Blu-Ray player, MBTwin and a little Linux box onto my network.
Mind you, in my case I had to totally ignore the Edimax instructions as to how to set it up to do this, as there was no way it could work - the wrong configuration input boxes showed up..., but another set-up option for it did work.

Rob van der Does
27-08-16, 11:43
@Avalon: please have it your way. It's quite obvious that you know it all far better then we do :rolleyes: