PDA

View Full Version : Using an HDD and USB pen together - is it necessary?

danlou
25-08-16, 16:00
Hi

I'm gauging peoples thoughts on whether to have both a HDD and USB pen in use.
I have purchased a Xtrend 8500 and set it up with hard disk for programme record and USB for EPG data.
Is it really necessary to have the USB drive as I could store the EPG data on the internal hard disk too?

is there any impact if I was recording a TV programme,running ABM and then an EPG update from same HDD?

Thanks

Ashley69
25-08-16, 16:34
Don,t need both. Some people like to store their picons on Usb. Never understood why.

Andy_Hazza
25-08-16, 16:51
Picons either to be stored on usb or your Internal Flash NOT THE HDD!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Larry-G
26-08-16, 15:03
Don,t need both. Some people like to store their picons on Usb. Never understood why.

A USB thumb drive was a vital addition for all older systems with smaller amounts of flash available, not needed so much these days though. If you have enough flash and a HDD already installed a USB thumb drive is no longer really needed.

Larry-G
26-08-16, 15:04
I've been wondering about this. If the HD is already doing timeshift then I don't see the problem with keeping PICON's on the HD, it's not like it gets to spin down when the box is in use. That said I still have them on USB.

correct, if you already have PTS activated then your ok with picons on a HDD, but if you don't it could easily add 5 or 6 seconds to the zap time.

1554leslie
26-08-16, 16:37
I only use the hard drive and store epg there and have no problems and very quick to respond when using remote

ccs
26-08-16, 16:59
.... when you say flash, do you really mean usb, otherwise you'll kill the box in no time at all.

Larry-G
26-08-16, 17:06
.... when you say flash, do you really mean usb, otherwise you'll kill the box in no time at all.

Agreed .

Larry-G
26-08-16, 17:08
I only use the hard drive and store epg there and have no problems and very quick to respond when using remote

Thats because EPG data is live data, in that it is held in the ram while the receiver is running. It is only read from or written to the HDD / USB when the receiver is shut down / booted up or when it is being updated.

Rob van der Does
27-08-16, 05:07
I've been wondering about this. If the HD is already doing timeshift then I don't see the problem with keeping PICON's on the HD, it's not like it gets to spin down when the box is in use.
Even the it's slower then when in flash.

That said I still have them on USB.
Why not in flash? Not that it matters much, but I'd just like to know.