PDA

View Full Version : Tuner Problem

Alan Pee
25-08-16, 11:48
For some days now one of my tuners has always been permanently occupied as if I was recording when actually I haven't engaged it. I have 3 tuners (A gets its feed from a motorised dish and set to positioner usals, B and C get their feeds from a multi lnb set up). I have been using this for about 3 years without issues until about 2 weeks ago when I noticed this. Previously I could record from 2 channels of 2 different satellites and watch another from a 3rd satellite but now I can only record one and watch another.
I have tried re-flashing with 5 different images and the problem still persists. I have also tried swapping the feeds it still didn't change anything.

ccs
25-08-16, 12:06
If your router is open or port forwarding to the box then it sounds like someone is accessing it from the internet.

Alan Pee
25-08-16, 12:08
Its open to port forwarding but I have a password on the box and enabled authentication for http and streaming.

ccs
25-08-16, 12:10
... that won't stop unauthorised access.

Easiest test is to unplug the VU from the router, or disable wireless if that's what you're using.

ccs
25-08-16, 12:21
If you're familiar with telnet, the command 'netstat -a' will show you which connections are established into and out of the box.

Alan Pee
25-08-16, 12:24
Thanks I will carry these tests when I get home.

Rob van der Does
25-08-16, 13:10
Or on the GUI of the STB: info --> streaming clients

abu baniaz
25-08-16, 13:24
Your receiver may be wide open to anyone on the internet.

See this post:
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?52924-Port-57596-What-is-it&p=413803&viewfull=1#post413803

Alan Pee
25-08-16, 17:24
I disconnected the box from the internet and everything was fine. Reconnected and the issue came back. Ran the netsat command and found foreign connections. Checked steaming clients on the box GUI and found an address streaming Sony Max. This means that someone has be streaming from my box all this time. Scary stuff. How do I block this? I am a network novice. Help plse.

Rob van der Does
25-08-16, 17:26
Simple: stop the portforwarding in your router.
This advise has been repeated dozens of times.

Alan Pee
25-08-16, 17:34
But if I stop the port forwarding it means I can't do remote streaming myself. isn't it?

grantdavey91
25-08-16, 17:56
But if I stop the port forwarding it means I can't do remote streaming myself. isn't it?

I would personally take the advice the other guys on this thread have been suggesting

I was a victim of someone hacking into my box not too long ago because of port forwarding

Enigma2 wasn't built with security in mind and still isn't

I'm not whizz and I am not sure how people manage to do it, but port forwarding any ports from your router to your box and leaving it wide open on the internet leaves it available for software/skilled people who regularly look for these boxes over the air, password protected or not they can get in

I have now took a different approach with mine - I have set up an account at dyndns - check them out - google dyndns and try it - its not free but they do give you a trial

You could also look at the possibility of VPN - there are plenty of tutorials on this forum about setting it up

Opening any port on your router is a no no, trust me! i had to reflash because someone was stealing my box info/files

Alan Pee
25-08-16, 18:03
I would personally take the advice the other guys on this thread have been suggesting

I was a victim of someone hacking into my box not too long ago because of port forwarding

Enigma2 wasn't built with security in mind and still isn't

I'm not whizz and I am not sure how people manage to do it, but port forwarding any ports from your router to your box and leaving it wide open on the internet leaves it available for software/skilled people who regularly look for these boxes over the air, password protected or not they can get in

I have now took a different approach with mine - I have set up an account at dyndns - check them out - google dyndns and try it - its not free but they do give you a trial

You could also look at the possibility of VPN - there are plenty of tutorials on this forum about setting it up

Opening any port on your router is a no no, trust me! i had to reflash because someone was stealing my box info/files

I have a dyndns account and address that I use outside my home network but can I still connect with that to my box outside my network without port forwarding?

DaMacFunkin
25-08-16, 18:18
Don't think so you would need a vpn setup on the router.

grantdavey91
25-08-16, 18:19
I have a dyndns account and address that I use outside my home network but can I still connect with that to my box outside my network without port forwarding?

As far as I am aware it shouldn't be a problem, on your dyn account just create new url and set up with your box settings; dyn opens ports but as far as I know they are all protected/encrypted

Alan Pee
25-08-16, 18:59
For now I have to go for security first by deleting all the port forwarding. I will research other means of connecting remotely without port forwarding. Thanks a lot guys for your help and advice.

Ashley69
25-08-16, 19:11
dynds does not give you any protection as you still have to open ports. dynds is basically used to sign in to your wan ip from outside your network instead of using your ip address.
Its designed so if your wan ip changes your dynds stays the same so no messing about changing IP's. Even with a dynds account you can still log into your network using your WAN ip address as you have opened the ports.
A router with VPN or SSH is your best set up.
Here is a guide to SSH http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?46802-Guide-Setting-up-SSH-with-public-private-keys

Alan Pee
25-08-16, 19:20
dynds does not give you any protection as you still have to open ports. dynds is basically used to sign in to your wan ip from outside your network instead of using your ip address.
Its designed so if your wan ip changes your dynds stays the same so no messing about changing IP's. Even with a dynds account you can still log into your network using your WAN ip address as you have opened the ports.
A router with VPN or SSH is your best set up.
Here is a guide to SSH http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?46802-Guide-Setting-up-SSH-with-public-private-keys
Thanks a mil Ashley I will follow this post carefully to create a new and secure connection.

Huevos
25-08-16, 22:32
Simple answer is don't allow any incoming requests from the public internet. Create a virtual private network. Once you have done that the external device connects to the private network and can access all the devices as if it were on the private LAN, but no one else can.

Alan Pee
26-08-16, 01:48
I have created a vpn with PIA. Is it safe for me to now forward ports on my router in other to be able to do remote streaming from my box?

Ashley69
26-08-16, 05:59
No. A PIA account is used for when you want to spoof what country you are in, or you want to mask your IP address. It will give you encryption between your device and the outside wifi you are using. (i.e. Free wifi spots).
You would still have to open ports for outside your network.