PDA

View Full Version : is it better to use USB or HDD for time shift?

fastford
22-08-16, 16:02
is there any difference between using usb or hard drive for time-shift which give the best results?

thanks

Huevos
22-08-16, 16:56
What type of usb device?

Hard drive is best... and internal hard drive even better.

john doe
22-08-16, 16:57
everyone says the usb. I use hdd for years with no issues at all. when I;ve used usb I've had issues

Larry-G
22-08-16, 16:57
Unless you have a large USB thumb drive and by large I mean 64 gig plus then I would recommend a HDD.

Larry-G
22-08-16, 17:33
It depends on the application and type of drive. In general an internal HD will perform better as USB2 is a lot slower (real world it maxes out at 30-40Mb/s) than SATA, where an external drive has the advantage is where you need to physically move the recordings to a PC for example or take them with you for some reason. Realistically a decent size USB drive will do most people. Also if you are using a USB drive your power usage is generally lower, produces less heat and you don't have the pause while the drive spins up if you use PICONS for example. Personally I use both, EPG/PICON/Swap etc. is on the USB flash drive, internal SATA drive for recording.

There is no real advantage to housing the EPG on a external USB thumb drive over a internal HDD. EPG data is live data in that it is stored in the flash while the receiver is running and only written to or read from the storage media on start up / shut down or when it is being updated.

Larry-G
22-08-16, 17:48
It's the same heat sink as has been in all Vu+ boxes all the way back to the original solo and duo. I have run 5 Vu+ boxes for five years and never once overheated one of them. As long as you have a decent airflow around the box and don't stuff it in a closed cupboard it will be fine. I have two stacks of boxes with 4 to 6 boxes in each stack and still never managed to over heat one of them.

birdman
22-08-16, 19:15
is there any difference between using usb or hard drive for time-shift which give the best results? There is an option in Vix to stop timeshift to a USB drive when a recording starts.
There must(?) be a reason for this....

Larry-G
22-08-16, 19:45
There is an option in Vix to stop timeshift to a USB drive when a recording starts.
There must(?) be a reason for this....

If I remember correctly it was put there because many users were using USB thumb sticks for timeshift and soon discovered that if their recording went over the allotted size it would default to the flash which would fill up super fast and crash the receiver. Requiring either a reflash or FTP session to delete the recordings from the flash to allow the receiver to boot up again.