PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Solo2] Change Hard Drive

bartjunited
22-08-16, 13:48
I would like to change my internal hard drive that i have in my Vu Solo 2.
As i want to keep the contents, what is the best way to swap the drives out?

should I?

- copy any media to the new drive via FTP
- turn off the box , swap out drive, initiate new drive, set up swap drive and im good to go?

TIA

Bart

abu baniaz
22-08-16, 15:58
Do you have a hdd caddy?

bartjunited
22-08-16, 16:10
Yes I do

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

abu baniaz
22-08-16, 16:24
You could...

Remove old drive, place in caddy and leave to one side.

Connect new drive and initialise.

Once done, connect USB Hdd (old drive) and use command line to copy/move contents over.

bartjunited
22-08-16, 16:26
Thanks for that. I'm useless with command line. Once the old drive is connected back could I ftp to box and copy the contents to from old to new drive?

Huevos
22-08-16, 16:50
Yes but it would be slow because you would have to move all the data across your home network to your pc and back again to the new hard drive.

Best fit the new drive, put the old drive in a usb enclosure and copy across using the command line.

bartjunited
22-08-16, 16:53
Ok thanks
What would the command line be if say new drive is A and old drive is B?

Larry-G
22-08-16, 17:05
The best and fastest Watford be to buy a external HDD cradle and just clone the original drive. Every other way is going to take a age depending on how much data you have saved.

abu baniaz
22-08-16, 17:38
It depends on what your devices are mounted as. Issue following command after you have connected USB drive and post back results.

df -h

bartjunited
22-08-16, 17:41
Thanks will do.
And so I'm clear I would use putty or similar to connect to the box and issue the command?

bartjunited
22-08-16, 17:46
Also when I put the new drive in when I set it to initialize does this format it to Ext 4 or do I need to do that 1st

Larry-G
22-08-16, 17:50
The intitialzation process will format the drive to ext4 by default.

bartjunited
22-08-16, 17:53
Great I thought so.
The new drive is currently partitioned so I just need to remove those before I connect it up so we have 1 large drive

bartjunited
25-08-16, 12:31
So I have finally made some headway.
However I found that the new drive I have is smaller than the existing one and seeing as I don't need either drive for anything else I thought I would put the new drive internally and have the old drive as external USB just to use to hold stuff I've recorded.
I've set up the new drive and initialized it.
This did not create all the folders I expected such as picon, cross epg etc so have created those via Ftp.
However I can't set up the epg
When going into the epg settings I want to choose the location /media/hdd/crossepg.
However the only location I have is internal flash and /media/sda5 which makes no sense. I can't seem to locate anything else.
I have also copied the cross epg files from the old drive to the new drive.

Please help

P.s the reason for the drive swap is that I found that with recordings they were freezing now and during playback and you would hear audio but the picture wouldn't move and I would have to press forward to continue playing

bartjunited
25-08-16, 13:08
So I rebooted the box and now on the cross epg section I can see /media/hdd as my location.. However when u try to download the epg I get the error
Cross epg error timeout for tuner lock?

abu baniaz
25-08-16, 13:21
Double check your tuner configuration.
Check your OpenTV EPG providers in Cross EPG downloader

bartjunited
25-08-16, 13:26
Just resolved this.
Rescanned the channels, and then tried epg and it worked.

How can I copy from media/usb to media/hdd?

Or can I make a shortcut in media/hdd to media/usb to folders that I would want to access a lot so that I don't need to bother copying?

bartjunited
26-08-16, 07:32
Managed to copy stuff across using the box itself and the options within the vix image itself

Larry-G
26-08-16, 10:42
So I have finally made some headway.
However I found that the new drive I have is smaller than the existing one and seeing as I don't need either drive for anything else I thought I would put the new drive internally and have the old drive as external USB just to use to hold stuff I've recorded.
I've set up the new drive and initialized it.
This did not create all the folders I expected such as picon, cross epg etc so have created those via Ftp.
However I can't set up the epg
When going into the epg settings I want to choose the location /media/hdd/crossepg.
However the only location I have is internal flash and /media/sda5 which makes no sense. I can't seem to locate anything else.
I have also copied the cross epg files from the old drive to the new drive.

Please help

P.s the reason for the drive swap is that I found that with recordings they were freezing now and during playback and you would hear audio but the picture wouldn't move and I would have to press forward to continue playing

Initializing It won't create picons or crossepg folders as they are not essential system files they created when you create them for example when you setup the EPG for the first time. Also why are you copying over epg files in the first place when they will be created by the system when you set it up ?.