PDA

View Full Version : Simple FTP in Windows

gab2001uk
13-05-10, 00:57
For those of you not familiar with FTP, you can use Windows XP built-in FTP client:

1) Double-click "My Network Places"
2) Select "Add Network Place"
3) Click Next
4) Click Next
5) Type in the IP of your Linux box, e.g ftp://192.168.1.100 then click Next
6) Un-tick "Log on anonymously"
7) Enter the box's user name. (usually "root") click next
8) choose a name e.g VU+ Duo. click next
9) click "finish"

You should now log on to your receiver. If you set a password you can enter it now and it will be saved for future use.

If you want a shortcut on your desktop, right-click on the icon in "My network Places" and select "Create Shortcut" It will be automatically placed on the desktop

The resulting explorer window can be used for drag'n'drop and any other Windows file activity without running any FTP software.

pege63
13-05-10, 09:04
Windows XP's FTP service installs as part of Microsoft Internet Information Services (IIS) 5.1; the FTP host is available only in XP Professional Edition, and the command-line client is available in both XP Pro and XP Home Edition. To reach the FTP client, click Start, then click Run. Type

ftp
in the resulting dialog box.

A useful command-line function available through the Windows FTP client lets you write scripts that execute FTP file transfers and automate FTP tasks. The command

ftp -?
returns the line

ftp [-v] [-d] [-i] [-n] [-g] [-s:filename] [-a] [-w:windowsize]
[-A] [host]
where -v suppresses the display of remote server responses, -d enables debugging, -i turns off interactive prompting during multiple file transfers, -n suppresses auto logon upon initial connection, -g disables filename globbing (see information about the Glob command below), -s:filename specifies a text file containing FTP commands (the commands will automatically run after FTP starts), -a lets you use any local interface when binding data connection, -w:windowsize overrides the default transfer buffer size of 4096, -A enables anonymous logon, and host specifies the host name or IP address of the remote host to which you're connecting.