PDA

View Full Version : Looking For Some Advice

maxal
15-08-16, 13:58
Hi, I am looking at buying a VU+ Solo 4k soon to complement my 4k tv. I am using a Zgemma H2s utiising the 2 satellite feeds from my Sky setup.
I have read many threads on this great forum but there is one thing I am not sure about, I have read that people are able to record more than 2 channels with just to feeds is this correct?

duoduo
15-08-16, 15:00
Yes, depends on the frequencies of the channels as to how many are available. Basically record any 2 channels at the same time and then look at your epg to see which channels are blanked out, these are still viewable. I hope that makes sense??

abu baniaz
15-08-16, 15:05
To get the most out of the solo 4k, you need to have a unicable LNB

maxal
15-08-16, 15:36
To get the most out of the solo 4k, you need to have a unicable LNB

Thanks for the advice could you explain what the difference is compared to my standard Sky lnb please.

abu baniaz
15-08-16, 15:45
Not easily. One of the guys will post. The long thread in the solo 4k thread should have all the details.

Andy_Hazza
15-08-16, 15:47
I have an Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and I am able to record 7 different programmes on different transponders. With a traditional LNB like yours you will be limited to what you can record.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

maxal
15-08-16, 16:36
I have a standad Sky lnb with 6 cables coming of it, 2 to each bedroom with a Sky box for free channels and 2 feeds in the lounge for the Zgemma box so replacing the lnb could be a problem I think.

Andy_Hazza
15-08-16, 17:31
We're not saying you have to have a Unicable LNB or anything, just to fully utilise the Vu+ Solo4K's potential thats all. Would work perfectly fine with the traditional Sky LNB. Or you could wait a while longer and see what Mut@nt and Xtrend offer in terms of 4K receivers. What we do know is they are still using the traditional tuners not FBC that Vu+ are using.

maxal
15-08-16, 17:40
Thanks Andy, I have looked at the Mut@nt box and it looks really good as is the price and is available in the UK this week. I have been looking at the VU+ Solo 4k for a while now and really like the help and support available here.

Andy_Hazza
15-08-16, 17:43
We do have a good bunch of peeps on this forum and with everyones knowledge and input you can't go far wrong buddy. [emoji4]

Bangord30
15-08-16, 17:53
OP, I've just seen someone selling a solo 4k, 2 weeks old. PM me if want more info.

maxal
15-08-16, 18:33
OP, I've just seen someone selling a solo 4k, 2 weeks old. PM me if want more info.

Thanks for the heads up I have sent a PM

skronk
15-08-16, 20:39
I have an Inverto Unicable II/JESS LNB and I am able to record 7 different programmes on different transponders. With a traditional LNB like yours you will be limited to what you can record.

For gods sake dont tell my wife. We have 2 boxes full of utter dross with 4 inputs.

Ncis, Unforgettable, CSI Miami, Billions, Criminal Minds, Blue Bloods, etc.etc.

Give me strength

Andy_Hazza
15-08-16, 21:29
For gods sake dont tell my wife. We have 2 boxes full of utter dross with 4 inputs.

Ncis, Unforgettable, CSI Miami, Billions, Criminal Minds, Blue Bloods, etc.etc.

Give me strength

hehe, that made me chuckle. [emoji4]

maxal
17-08-16, 09:08
We're not saying you have to have a Unicable LNB or anything, just to fully utilise the Vu+ Solo4K's potential thats all. Would work perfectly fine with the traditional Sky LNB. Or you could wait a while longer and see what Mut@nt and Xtrend offer in terms of 4K receivers. What we do know is they are still using the traditional tuners not FBC that Vu+ are using.

Hi Andy, Another question sorry, If I change my lnb like you suggest and then fit a splitter in the loft to feed the 2 Sky boxes plus the VU+ Solo 4k box will the Sky boxes still work ok with a Unicable lnb

Andy_Hazza
17-08-16, 09:14
Hi Andy, Another question sorry, If I change my lnb like you suggest and then fit a splitter in the loft to feed the 2 Sky boxes plus the VU+ Solo 4k box will the Sky boxes still work ok with a Unicable lnb

Yeah they will work just fine buddy.

Andy_Hazza
17-08-16, 09:36
You can even get Unicable LNB's with Legacy ports for your 2 sky boxes. Just a thought.

maxal
17-08-16, 09:49
That's interesting, thanks for all your help.

gibbletts
17-08-16, 12:38
The only question I would have is why buy a 4 k box when there is nothing in 4K to watch on it, if you are just using a fixed dish you'll need sky q to watch anything, even with a motorised dish there is very little

maxben
17-08-16, 14:32
This is my my solution to enable unicable II on the Solo 4k and various other STBs that use universal LNBs, probably a bit more expensive but very versatile and of course can be adjusted/changed very easily if all the cables terminate in the loft as mine do.

I have a quatro LNB on the dish pointing at 28.2 which connects with multicore coax cable to an Inverto Unicable II multiswitch

as the Inverto has passthrough ports I use these to connect to the Ankaro legacy/universal multiswitch which has 8 ports out so effectively an octo LNB.

The inverto switch needs power, the Ankaro doesn't

As I said a very versatile setup able to adapt to any STB configuration.

maxben
17-08-16, 14:58
Unicable II LNBs with 4 legacy ports were not available when I set mine up, I need 3 minimum, can you give a link to them ?

Andy_Hazza
17-08-16, 16:27
The only question I would have is why buy a 4 k box when there is nothing in 4K to watch on it, if you are just using a fixed dish you'll need sky q to watch anything, even with a motorised dish there is very little

Quite a few 4K channels with a motorised dish setup.

Andy_Hazza
17-08-16, 16:28
Other brands not going the FBC tuner route, just Vu+. Thank god we have Vu+ for innovation eh?........ [emoji13]

twol
17-08-16, 16:37
Other brands not going the FBC tuner route, just Vu+. Thank god we have Vu+ for innovation eh?........ [emoji13]

More like thank you Arm & Broadcom for the design and chips :):)

Andy_Hazza
17-08-16, 17:52
Yes Vu+ are releasing FBC tuner slots this year.

twol
17-08-16, 18:51
Yes Vu+ are releasing FBC tuner slots this year.
Is that on-board or separate tuners? Because Broadcom do a chip for the board otherwise I guess its our Samsung friends (hope not:) )

Andy_Hazza
17-08-16, 18:53
I'm just going on info from Anga Show and FBC tuners were separate on display. [emoji4]

dfox
18-08-16, 10:02

Andy, can you explain how this works and how you are able to record 7 different channels on different transponders? Is this from one STB? Would it work with a HD2400 or would it just work with a 4K receiver? :)

TIA

Andy_Hazza
18-08-16, 10:36
Andy, can you explain how this works and how you are able to record 7 different channels on different transponders? Is this from one STB? Would it work with a HD2400 or would it just work with a 4K receiver? :)

TIA

It will only work on the Vu+ Solo 4K receiver as that has the FBC tuners. FBC standing for Full Band Capture. The soon to be released Vu+ Ultimo 4K and Vu+ Uno 4K also uses FBC tuners whereas the new Mut@nt @ Xtrend 4K receivers have gone the traditional tuner route.
Basically it depends what Unicable LNB you use too. My LNB is an Inverto Unicable II LNB or better known as a JESS LNB. My version is a 32 channel one so in my tuner configuration setup I have tuner A to SCR 1, tuner C to SCR 2 right through to SCR 7. At the moment tuner B is still hooked up to my traditional Sky Zone1 dish but am looking at hooking a motorised dish setup at a later date. So 7+1 gives be basically 8 tuners from a twin tuner setup. So I can record 7 channels using different transponders and watch another. SCR means Satellite Router Channel I think.
My JESS LNB only uses one cable so I have that fed into my loft, and I have a splitter that feeds 2x Vu+ Solo 4Ks.

dfox
18-08-16, 11:16
It will only work on the Vu+ Solo 4K receiver as that has the FBC tuners. FBC standing for Full Band Capture. The soon to be released Vu+ Ultimo 4K and Vu+ Uno 4K also uses FBC tuners whereas the new Mut@nt @ Xtrend 4K receivers have gone the traditional tuner route.
Basically it depends what Unicable LNB you use too. My LNB is an Inverto Unicable II LNB or better known as a JESS LNB. My version is a 32 channel one so in my tuner configuration setup I have tuner A to SCR 1, tuner C to SCR 2 right through to SCR 7. At the moment tuner B is still hooked up to my traditional Sky Zone1 dish but am looking at hooking a motorised dish setup at a later date. So 7+1 gives be basically 8 tuners from a twin tuner setup. So I can record 7 channels using different transponders and watch another. SCR means Satellite Router Channel I think.
My JESS LNB only uses one cable so I have that fed into my loft, and I have a splitter that feeds 2x Vu+ Solo 4Ks.

Cheers Andy, understand it now.