PDA

View Full Version : ET8500 Newbie

thomaskierom
15-08-16, 12:11
Morning All,

I will be receiving my ET8500 sometime tomorrow.
I currently have a Zgemma H2H running both Sly and Virmin.
and have a few questions as follows..

1/ If I back up my settings on the H2H to USB, (channel lists, LNB info, satellite info, CCcam file etc) are these transferable to the ET8500?
2/ Will the unit record from two tuners whilst watching the third? (2 cable and one satellite tuner will be fitted)
3/ Is OpenVIX natively supported for software updating or is it patched a la Zgemma?

Cheers

Kieron

Andy_Hazza
15-08-16, 12:24
Zgemma uses a hacked version of ViX. ViX do not offer any support for Zgemma receivers. Your Xtrend ET8500 will come preloaded with ViX 4.2.001 if you have gone for the ViX software to be installed option, and unfortunately that requires to be setup from scratch no settings or plugin restores allowed. Save your CCcam files to your computer and transfer back over when you have installed CCcam via plugins etc. Tuner configs are straightforward, as are channel lists if you use ABM?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thomaskierom
15-08-16, 12:36
Thanks for the reply.
I was planning on installing OpenATV, as that's what I'm used to on my H2H.
I only asked about OpenVIX as my H2H can't update it OTA, whereas it can with OpenATV.
Once OpenATV is installed would i be able to flash the settings from my H2H?
Channel lists have been created with ABM and updated with DreamBoxEdit, i have them on my PC so can always transfer those over via ftp anyway.

Ta
Kieron

cactikid
15-08-16, 12:37
and when you get the et up and running you might see what the difference is:D

dont advise taking anything from zgemma as things will be different.

Andy_Hazza
15-08-16, 12:42
Start from scratch like cactikid says. You have your channel list saved and just save your CCcam files. Everything else setup as new. ViX far superior image imo. Why are doing your own channel list when you have something like ABM that does it all for you?

thomaskierom
15-08-16, 12:56
[QUOTE=Andy_Hazza;413095]Why are doing your own channel list when you have something like ABM that does it all for you?

QUOTE]

Because I have a bit (actually quite a lot of) of OCD and have to have channels in the right order, and then foreign bouquets in a set order!
Just personal preference!

Kieron

Andy_Hazza
15-08-16, 13:01
hehe, we all have some OCD in us. Thats fair enough as regards your channel lists etc. [emoji4]

twol
15-08-16, 13:23
[QUOTE=Andy_Hazza;413095]Why are doing your own channel list when you have something like ABM that does it all for you?

QUOTE]

Because I have a bit (actually quite a lot of) of OCD and have to have channels in the right order, and then foreign bouquets in a set order!
Just personal preference!

Kieron
I started out like you by managing all my channels (a mixture of UK and German) mainly because my German relatives expect everything in set order and in front of anything else.
However, I now use a combination of ABM to create the basic lists for both UK and Germany and Echannelizer to do the final manipulation of Bouquets before writing out in one go to my receivers.

I have messed with most of the images over time but still find OpenViX the most complete image.

thomaskierom
15-08-16, 13:44
Seems there's a lot of love for OpenVix here. I've only used OpenATV due to having a Zgemma before opting to upgrade to the et8500.
What are the fundamental differences between the two?

Kieron

twol
15-08-16, 13:58
Best answer is try and see, if you have any questions then just ask although quite a few stickies on how to do what ever, including setting up (which you probably don,t need but useful to read).
I believe that atv has ViX ancestry so you wouldn,t find it too difficult to transition :)

If you are into CI+ then OpenAtv is the only image I am aware of that supports it on various receivers (not all), and as you are probably aware it helps to understand German:)