PDA

View Full Version : recording files and tuner connections

ALIEN1X
14-08-16, 21:53
:confused: Hello, I'm thinking of buying a genuine VU+SOLO SE v2 and have a few questions which I need confirming:

This model comes with hybrid DVBT2 Tuner to watch Freeview Testrial.

a) Can it record 2 different channels at the same time?

b) when recoding freeview channels can the recorded HD channesl like BBC 1 for example be exported edt as .TS file to an external hardrive so it can be played on other devices? Is the HD file decrypted as these cannot be done on other PVR recivers?

c) Will it puck up BBC red button services or at lest scan them in? Especially when sporting events are on?

d) will it support catch tv services similar to YouView?

e) What is the max harddisk size that can be connected fro PVR recording and dose it have to be powered or not?

f) what is the maximum number of plugin tuners that can be installed?

Andy_Hazza
14-08-16, 22:20
:confused: Hello, I'm thinking of buying a genuine VU+SOLO SE v2 and have a few questions which I need confirming:

This model comes with hybrid DVBT2 Tuner to watch Freeview Testrial.

a) Can it record 2 different channels at the same time?

b) when recoding freeview channels can the recorded HD channesl like BBC 1 for example be exported edt as .TS file to an external hardrive so it can be played on other devices? Is the HD file decrypted as these cannot be done on other PVR recivers?

c) Will it puck up BBC red button services or at lest scan them in? Especially when sporting events are on?

d) will it support catch tv services similar to YouView?

e) What is the max harddisk size that can be connected fro PVR recording and dose it have to be powered or not?

f) what is the maximum number of plugin tuners that can be installed?

Hi. Answers are; a/ Yes it can record two channels at the same time or watch one and record another. b/ Yes you can watch the recorded .ts file on another device/external source etc. c/ ABM (ViX's AutoBouquetsMaker) can generate you a channel list and yes you can receive your red button events like the BBC Olympics, Glastonbury etc. d/ Do you mean Catchup service? If yes then No. e/ I know of someone using a 6TB HDD and for the best results powered is best. f/ You can add an additional usb tuner, but I don't advise the Vu+ Turbo tuner.
Hope this helps and anything else just post here.[emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

abu baniaz
14-08-16, 22:55
For all receivers,

When asking about how many channels you can record, this is question is difficult to answer accurately.

Number of tuners = number of frequencies you can record from.

If you have one tuner, you can record many channels from the same frequency. Each frequency/transponder/multiplex has different number of channels, so it is not simple to answer the question about number of channels you can record.

For example, the Crystal Palace transmitter, 546000 has 8 channels. If you have one tuner and locked onto this frequency, you can record 8 channels.

538000 only has 3 channels. If you have one tuner and locked onto this frequency, you can only record 3.

ALIEN1X
15-08-16, 10:10
Many thanks for the feed back, its a bit more clearer to help me decide what to buy for my purpose.

For re-clarification the recorded Freeview channels in HD, when transferring out to external hard drive as .ts file, will the HD recording still be decrypted?
My understand that only SD recordings are decrypted on Freeview?

This is one of the main reasons why I'M looking at a Linux PVR.

abu baniaz
15-08-16, 10:17
Here is a recording for you.

ALIEN1X
15-08-16, 12:43
Ah thanks just tested it on pc it works. :)

ALIEN1X
15-08-16, 15:23

Hi did these recordings come from VU+ SOLO SE v2?

Andy_Hazza
15-08-16, 15:26
I wouldn't have thought so but doesn't matter as all receivers will be the same. Why you ask?

ALIEN1X
15-08-16, 20:09
I wouldn't have thought so but doesn't matter as all receivers will be the same. Why you ask?

The reason for asking, is that I need to do my research before I buy a product. To be honest, I'm stuck between 2 of them VU+SOLO SE v2 and Extent ET8500.

The question about the Freeview/FTA HD recording, is that from what I have heard and mainly form Humax etc is that there is no receiver on the market that allows a transfer of HD recording on to harddisk and play the files using other devices as they are encrypted because its HD? .
I was looking at the 2 models mentioned above as they are LINUX and have good developer support so was making sure it dose what I want before I purchase.

ALIEN1X
15-08-16, 20:23
I Only have 1 aerial and cable coming off the wall socket so how to I connect this up if the tuner has multiple input connections form its multiple tuners?
Do I connect to Ariel input tuner one then use loop out/loop thro to input of tuner 2 and so on and the last connection will be to input Ariel connection of my tv?

The reason for connection to TV in built aerial connection is that I wish to use the TV in built tunner for watching live programmes and the ET8500 for recording 2 different channels at the same time.

Or do I need spliter which from what I have heard degrades the signal ?

Andy_Hazza
15-08-16, 20:34
The recordings on these linux receivers are not encrypted and will be viewable on your pc, external hdd etc. With the Vu+ Solo SE v2 it doesn't take an internal hdd, whereas the Xtrend ET8500 will take an internal hdd. I am a big Vu+ fan and love the remote but for value for money the ET8500 looks to be a good buy.

abu baniaz
15-08-16, 20:47
Yes.

See this
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?44799-Loop-RF-out-for-Cable-Terrestrial

ALIEN1X
15-08-16, 21:19
Yes.

See this
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?44799-Loop-RF-out-for-Cable-Terrestrial

I looked at the link and the posts show 2 options one using splitter like you say, the another using loop cables?

Trying to get my head round what the pros and cons are between them?

All I want to do is record 2 different Freeview channels at the same time, so would I need 1 x twin tuner or 2 x twin tuner connected to a single aerial wall socket.

abu baniaz
15-08-16, 21:24
You can use a splitter or loop through cable to daisy chain. Take your pick. Loop through is neater.

1 x twin tuner = 2 tuners > You can record from two frequencies
2 x twin tuners = 4 tuners > You can record from four frequencies

ALIEN1X
15-08-16, 21:29
So if I go for ET8500 ( I know this is a VU section thread) and I want to record 2 different freeview channels at the same time would I go for 1 x twin tuner or 2 x twin tuner?

With the multiple tunners can I use a loop cable raher then spliter to avoid degradikng the signal, as I only have one aerial wall socket and cable?

abu baniaz
15-08-16, 21:32
The Xtrends do not do twin hybrid tuners AFAIK. You will have to buy 2 x single hybrid tuners.
The Sole SS has only one tuner module slot.

The xtrend will be the better buy.

birdman
15-08-16, 21:36
Or do I need spliter which from what I have heard degrades the signal ?You can also get powered splitter/amplifiers. Which you need depends on what quality of signal you have (which may well differ across frequencies).

I use to run mine through 3 amplifiers in order to get the HD channels (the SD ones were no problem). After a few visits from aerial engineers and AT800 (4G interference testing) it transpired that the reception with an aerial at ground level in front of my house is significantly better than that at the roof apex. The aerial is now on the fascia board by the guttering.
The problem really affected reception around channel 30. Just a pity that corresponds to COM7, and HD channels seem to need a better signal than SD ones.

Andy_Hazza
15-08-16, 21:39
A twin receiver will let you record one and watch another, but if watching and recording on same frequency you can record more. If you bought the receiver with 2x twin tuners, that effectively lets you record 3 channels on different frequencies and watch one.
With terrestrial/cable loopthrough is just fine. So you would have main cable into Tuner A and with loopthrough cables you would go from Tuner A to B, Tuner B to C etc etc. You won't lose any quality.
Xtrend ET8500 with 1x twin tuner found here >> http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/satellite-and-terrestrial/digital-receivers/xtrend/Xtrend-ET8500-2x-DVB-C-T-T2
Xtrend ET8500 with 2x twin tuner found here >> http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/satellite-and-terrestrial/digital-receivers/xtrend/Xtrend-ET8500-4x-DVB-C-T-T2

ALIEN1X
15-08-16, 22:40
A twin receiver will let you record one and watch another, but if watching and recording on same frequency you can record more. If you bought the receiver with 2x twin tuners, that effectively lets you record 3 channels on different frequencies and watch one.
With terrestrial/cable loopthrough is just fine. So you would have main cable into Tuner A and with loopthrough cables you would go from Tuner A to B, Tuner B to C etc etc. You won't lose any quality.
Xtrend ET8500 with 1x twin tuner found here >> http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/satellite-and-terrestrial/digital-receivers/xtrend/Xtrend-ET8500-2x-DVB-C-T-T2
Xtrend ET8500 with 2x twin tuner found here >> http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/satellite-and-terrestrial/digital-receivers/xtrend/Xtrend-ET8500-4x-DVB-C-T-T2

ok so I have this right on the ET8500 1 X Twin tuner which is 2x-DVB-C-T-T2.....will allow me to record 2 difrent freeview channels at the same time?
So the above setup will also allow me to loop out to the input of my tv tuner too so I can watch a 3rd channel?

If my above understanding id correct then that's the way to go for me. This leaves the issue that I prefer 2tb hardrive but only 1tb is available, not sure what type of 2tb drive I need ?

Andy_Hazza
15-08-16, 22:54
Yeah that's right. You need to get a 2.5" 2TB HDD as WoS don't stock them. A 5400RPM HDD would do just the job. [emoji4]

birdman
16-08-16, 00:28
ok so I have this right on the ET8500 1 X Twin tuner which is 2x-DVB-C-T-T2.....will allow me to record 2 difrent freeview channels at the same time?Or more.
You can record multiple TV channel using a single tuner if they are all on the same Mux (the box knows about this).
e.g. the HD versions of BBC1, BBC2, ITV, C4 and Channel5 are all on the same Mux, so you could record all of them at the same time and still have a free tuner.

ALIEN1X
16-08-16, 08:04
Yeah that's right. You need to get a 2.5" 2TB HDD as WoS don't stock them. A 5400RPM HDD would do just the job. [emoji4]

I would have thought a faster ' AV drive ' would have been better like 7200 or 10,000 rpm would the unit support it?
And the type of drive would it be IDE or something as they all have difrent pins/connections ect I need to know the specification of the one WOS sup supplys so that I can find a equivalent drive but faster it it works?

Andy_Hazza
16-08-16, 08:07
No point in faster and its a 2.5" Sata HDD.

ALIEN1X
16-08-16, 08:33
No point in faster and its a 2.5" Sata HDD.

With case/CADE/cartridge or with out?

Or could go for external 2tb drive via USB and record straight onto that if the unit allows that method?

Andy_Hazza
16-08-16, 08:55
Internal HDD method far superior to External imo. All you need is a 2.5" 5400RPM Sata HDD. The receiver will come with a caddy n screws for the HDD to fit in.

ALIEN1X
16-08-16, 09:01
Internal HDD method far superior to External imo. All you need is a 2.5" 5400RPM Sata HDD. The receiver will come with a caddy n screws for the HDD to fit in.

SATA type I, II, III etc?

Andy_Hazza
16-08-16, 09:14
Doesn't matter. I tend to go for SATA 6 Gb/s interface ones. But really doesn't matter. If you want a 10000RPM or 7200RPM one then get one. I go for the 5400RPM ones as they generate less noise n spin less imo.

ALIEN1X
16-08-16, 09:27
Doesn't matter. I tend to go for SATA 6 Gb/s interface ones. But really doesn't matter. If you want a 10000RPM or 7200RPM one then get one. I go for the 5400RPM ones as they generate less noise n spin less imo.

Thanks or the support and advise

twol
16-08-16, 09:32
And fitting the 2.5 hdd on the xtrend is really so simple and easy, you don,t have to open up the receiver, just pull out the caddy on the right side, fix and slide back in.

Larry-G
16-08-16, 10:02
The reason for asking, is that I need to do my research before I buy a product. To be honest, I'm stuck between 2 of them VU+SOLO SE v2 and Extent ET8500.

The question about the Freeview/FTA HD recording, is that from what I have heard and mainly form Humax etc is that there is no receiver on the market that allows a transfer of HD recording on to harddisk and play the files using other devices as they are encrypted because its HD? .
I was looking at the 2 models mentioned above as they are LINUX and have good developer support so was making sure it dose what I want before I purchase.

Thats because humax and the other "mainstream" receivers use a closed source operating system.

Enigma 2 which is used on these third party or hobbyist receivers as they used to be known as, are open source and all E2 based receivers by default record the transport stream in an unencrypted form.

Larry-G
16-08-16, 10:06
I would have thought a faster ' AV drive ' would have been better like 7200 or 10,000 rpm would the unit support it?
And the type of drive would it be IDE or something as they all have difrent pins/connections ect I need to know the specification of the one WOS sup supplys so that I can find a equivalent drive but faster it it works?

The disadvantage with faster drives would be a increase in heat generated by the drive, as already stated a 5400 rpm Sata drive is more than sufficient.

skronk
16-08-16, 12:51

Look at the 8500 thread at bottom of list. You will note a few people (myself included) concerned about tuner settings and recordings which don't happen as in "no free tuner". I have set up a few boxes so set up is not the problem.

I have an old Vu Duo and pic quality is much better than 8500. Not that the 8500 is bad but.....just the Duo has better resolution, sharpness, vibrance.

If I were buying again it would be a Vu without the slightest shadow of a doubt.

If the niggles re 8500 tuner persist....you will regret buying it !

Standing up against wall with tin hat on.

ALIEN1X
16-08-16, 15:21
Look at the 8500 thread at bottom of list. You will note a few people (myself included) concerned about tuner settings and recordings which don't happen as in "no free tuner". I have set up a few boxes so set up is not the problem.

I have an old Vu Duo and pic quality is much better than 8500. Not that the 8500 is bad but.....just the Duo has better resolution, sharpness, vibrance.

If I were buying again it would be a Vu without the slightest shadow of a doubt.

If the niggles re 8500 tuner persist....you will regret buying it !

Good job I caught these messages before buying. So IO need to make a decision between the ET8500 or SOLO SE v2. Nothing will be perfect and both appear to have pros and cons.

The only question I have on both models id how to I know if its in standby or recording mode, for example the VU SOLO SE v2 has no front screen?

ALIEN1X
16-08-16, 21:53

You may be able to help or point me in the right direction -between the ET8500 or SOLO SE v2, how to I know if its in standby or recording mode, for example the VU SOLO SE v2 has no front screen?

birdman
17-08-16, 01:07
For re-clarification the recorded Freeview channels in HD, when transferring out to external hard drive as .ts file, will the HD recording still be decrypted?
My understand that only SD recordings are decrypted on Freeview?Sort of.
Freeview had no restrictions.
FreeviewHD does, as there is a "limited copy" flag available (no sure whether any broadcaster uses it). The only way to control this is to encrypt the recording and keep the decryption key a proprietary secret.

OpenVix boxes are not Freeview(HD) boxes (so they don't handle the MHEG5/6 part of red button services either - but you can view the channels) - they are boxes with DVB-T2 tuners in them. They record the broadcast stream as-sent, which is unencrypted for Freeview(HD) broadcasts.

ALIEN1X
17-08-16, 08:52
Sort of.
Freeview had no restrictions.
FreeviewHD does, as there is a "limited copy" flag available (no sure whether any broadcaster uses it). The only way to control this is to encrypt the recording and keep the decryption key a proprietary secret.

OpenVix boxes are not Freeview(HD) boxes (so they don't handle the MHEG5/6 part of red button services either - but you can view the channels) - they are boxes with DVB-T2 tuners in them. They record the broadcast stream as-sent, which is unencrypted for Freeview(HD) broadcasts.

Thanks, the only reason I mentioned it is that most terrestrial PVR's will not allow transfer of HD recording or conversion, accept SD content. Some like Humax had custom firmware by developers which could do it by a long complex process using software called FOXY, but only for the older FOX T2 models which are discontinued. The newer models have no developer support. Hence my reasons for looking at advanced LINUX based receivers .

so my understanding is that the Enigma 2 receivers do have the red button but can scan the channels for example HD Olympic 1-8 , Glastonbury events etc.

birdman
17-08-16, 11:11
Hence my reasons for looking at advanced LINUX based receivers .The Humax is likely Linux-based. My Sony TV is Linux-based... Just that neither makes things accessible to the end user directly.

so my understanding is that the Enigma 2 receivers do have the red button but can scan the channels for example HD Olympic 1-8 , Glastonbury events etc.The red button itself won't work (so you can't get the BBC red button information service either - but you use your TV for that). It can get all of the Red Button TV channels though (currently I have 600 to 608 for the Olympics).
Note that it also can't get the streaming channel (200+ range).

ALIEN1X
17-08-16, 12:33
The Humax is likely Linux-based. My Sony TV is Linux-based... Just that neither makes things accessible to the end user directly.

The red button itself won't work (so you can't get the BBC red button information service either - but you use your TV for that). It can get all of the Red Button TV channels though (currently I have 600 to 608 for the Olympics).
Note that it also can't get the streaming channel (200+ range).

Thanks,
Was typo error from me, I was ment to say that that my understand is that Enigma 2 Linux boxes to not have the red button service but can scan the channels

Larry-G
17-08-16, 12:37
Thanks,
Was typo error from me, I was ment to say that that my understand is that Enigma 2 Linux boxes to not have the red button service but can scan the channels

yes that's correct.

Sicilian
17-08-16, 12:56

I've got both a solo se in bedroom and et8500, no difference in pq on either on hd. Sd is crap on any receiver and latest model tv's imo.

I use 2x sat tuner and 2x hybrid tuner and never had any issues with tuner. Have daily timers recording and daily Abm scans.

My preference would be Et8500 all day long, better spec and more versatile. Comes down to personal preference imo. Btw both receivers use the same cpu.

ALIEN1X
17-08-16, 14:30
I've got both a solo se in bedroom and et8500, no difference in pq on either on hd. Sd is crap on any receiver and latest model tv's imo.

I use 2x sat tuner and 2x hybrid tuner and never had any issues with tuner. Have daily timers recording and daily Abm scans.

My preference would be Et8500 all day long, better spec and more versatile. Comes down to personal preference imo. Btw both receivers use the same cpu.

What about specialist support and development for ET8500/ all Extrend range, are there dedicated ones like VU+ Community or similar?
How reliable is the hardware as this is the first time I have come across Extrend since seeing this forum compared to VU?

Sicilian
17-08-16, 14:38
What about specialist support and development for ET8500/ all Extrend range, are there dedicated ones like VU+ Community or similar?
How reliable is the hardware as this is the first time I have come across Extrend since seeing this forum compared to VU?

OpenXTA is Xtrend only, they do have a forum. All depends what image you settle for. Openvix, openatv, openpli, openxta and more.

All manufacturers have their good and bad. I never had an Xtrend or vu fail on me.

ALIEN1X
17-08-16, 19:57
OpenXTA is Xtrend only, they do have a forum. All depends what image you settle for. Openvix, openatv, openpli, openxta and more.

All manufacturers have their good and bad. I never had an Xtrend or vu fail on me.

Well there a a lot of receivers out there, some known some unknown, as along as it dose what you want it to do

Larry-G
17-08-16, 20:25
Well there a a lot of receivers out there, some known some unknown, as along as it dose what you want it to do

Xtrend has been around for just as long if not longer than Vu+.

ALIEN1X
18-08-16, 19:58
Xtrend has been around for just as long if not longer than Vu+.

I have just order the ET8500 triple Terestrial tuner version, purely as a freeview channel recorder, with latest Vix image.
I have gone for with out internal drive as I have an external 2TB usb drive.

Are there any set up instructions and how to use the device and PVR?

ALIEN1X
21-08-16, 12:00

Hi How did you do this, I'm having problems transferring recordings to external USB drive?

My System is setup to record on to external USB drive initialised/formated by the unit and I want to copy/move the .ts recordings another external USB drive which is formatted to NTFs as I want to play it on other media players etc

The PVR will not detect my other USB drive that I want to copy/transfer to?

Andy_Hazza
21-08-16, 12:15
Use ftp to transfer from box to pc/external hdd.

ALIEN1X
21-08-16, 13:27
Use ftp to transfer from box to pc/external hdd.

ftp is enabled, but how do I use it?