PDA

View Full Version : TM-5402HD CI+ Super+ thoughts

sssboa
06-01-11, 03:41
Hi
Just bought this one for FTA. Changed s/w to the newest official 1.03.
I had before Humax, Echostar and boxes from sat packets providers so I will compare to them.
In terms of picture quality, speed, editing, size, this box is amazing. Never had technomate before.
The downside is cheap build of light plastic like cheap receivers. The display is very bad, the numbers tremble with visible frequency that would give you headache if you stared at them for 10 seconds. The box gave out loud buzzing noise with fan control option on that is default position, so I changed to off in the menu and it's quite now. This noise + flickering display is recipe for nausea. Maybe it is only my unit?
What fan are they talking about, external, internal? For CPU, HDD? Is the fan already there?
I would appreciate some other users' comments.
Andrew

Sicilian
06-01-11, 06:06
Got to admit this is the first post I've seen of someone saying the build quaility is cheap, I'd say thats a bit unfair. Regards fan, theres a small fan in the unit. Shouldn't be noisy and theres a few settings, cant remember exactly what the settings are right now though. Flickering display? Cant comment about that one it only has a four digit led type display. If you think theres an issue with the unit contact where you purchased.

sssboa
06-01-11, 07:58
Hi
Well comparing to my Humax bought in the late 90s it is typical made in China build. I have a Ferguson sat receivers that is this type of build. The front panel looks fragile.
I just switched the fan on and the noise is gone for some reason. What is it cooling though, the cpu of the box? Do I risk something by switching the fan control to off? I put my ear close to the top and really it seems like something is spinning inside :) I would not like to send it back, my general perception is positive. I would like to hear from other users.
Regards
Andrew

Sicilian
06-01-11, 08:06
The fan is just for general airflow. I'd say its safe to switch fan off in menu otherwise TM wouldn't give that option ;)

In the days of the humax things where built heavier I agree, but nowadays everything comes down to cost and unfortunatly things are made lighter. I've seen a few receivers on the market and imo I think the build quality of Technomates has always been great, the only downfall of late was the TM800 fiasco.

silverfox0786
06-01-11, 08:12
The fan is just for general airflow. I'd say its safe to switch fan off in menu otherwise TM wouldn't give that option ;)

In the days of the humax things where built heavier I agree, but nowadays everything comes down to cost and unfortunatly things are made lighter. I've seen a few receivers on the market and imo I think the build quality of Technomates has always been great, the only downfall of late was the TM800 fiasco.

i agree only a few months ago i was having troublw with my dads actuator and i grabbed his old echostar ad3600ipva and smashed it over the table my dad started laughing and said that wasnt very nice and started winding me up i was already strugling to get it sorted and then had my dad egging me on [me and him have these laughs often mind you] so i smashed it against the wall and it didnt break i thuought well lets connect it up and apart from a cracked front face it works just fine

so yes build has become lighter but by no means has the quality deteriated they are still good boxes now my DUO is a light machine and the Solo i thought was a match box when it arrived but they have the brilliant quality that they deserve and so does the TM5402

Larry-G
06-01-11, 09:08
i have to agree with both sic and silverfox here. yes compared to boxes made 20 years ago, the new generation receivers feel lighter and as a result feel less well made which is not the case in my opinion, which in all honesty is down to us as consumers. after all were the ones wanting cheaper and cheaper goods, forcing the manufacturers to use different blends of alloys and plastics for things like the outer shell. just look at a tv made 20 years ago and one made now, its the same thing.

on the whole TM's in my opinion are very well made receivers i my self have 2 TM600's and there rock solid boxes.

sssboa
06-01-11, 12:27
Is it possible to unplug that little buzzer and plug a high quality fan? Is it pluggable?

Stanman
06-01-11, 13:46
You only have to look at mobile phones, compare the size of the Motorola brick with some of the phones today and there worlds apart. Technology has miniaturized but its doesn't necessary mean its poor quality - only if you buy knock offs

vvvlvd
25-02-11, 01:18
i just boughted this 5402 and it seems to have the same problem: the fan noise. i dont know if this is normal or not . some help from some other owners? i dont want to send it back.

vvvlvd
25-02-11, 02:45
can u please tell me where is that option to turn the fan off because i couldn't find it in my menu. thanks

Sicilian
25-02-11, 05:57
Off the top of my head I'm pretty sure its under display menu, its in one of them cant remember exactly which.

Sicilian
26-02-11, 06:43
can u please tell me where is that option to turn the fan off because i couldn't find it in my menu. thanks

The fan it can be turned off by Pressing Menu > System Settings > Front Display Settings > Set Fan Control to OFF.

vvvlvd
27-02-11, 23:55
foud it. thank you.!

cfipro
28-02-11, 15:13
Have the 5402hd as well, and quite honestly cannot complain about the fan noise, it's barely noticeable...

vvvlvd
28-02-11, 23:00
something else about my box: on the left side it is missing the "remote" writing and the "led" light that it should have been opposite the "stand by" writing. somebody else with this issue? is it everything fine with my box? thank you.

world-of-satellite.co.uk
28-02-11, 23:22
something else about my box: on the left side it is missing the "remote" writing and the "led" light that it should have been opposite the "stand by" writing. somebody else with this issue? is it everything fine with my box? thank you.

If you look at the box that your receiver came in you will notice that the word 'remote' is not shown in the picture of the front panel. The word 'remote' is in some of the images released by Technomate. In production the word 'remote' was removed from the front panel. This is not an issue, as advised in an email please contact Technomate direct for more information, they are the only ones who know why and decided to remove the word 'remote' from the front panel in production. If you would like the direct number please email us and we will be happy to pass it on to you :)

At the same time you can give them the serial number of the receiver and they will confirm its authenticity :)

vvvlvd
01-03-11, 21:28
thnk you. everything is fine , u are right.

If you look at the box that your receiver came in you will notice that the word 'remote' is not shown in the picture of the front panel. The word 'remote' is in some of the images released by Technomate. In production the word 'remote' was removed from the front panel. This is not an issue, as advised in an email please contact Technomate direct for more information, they are the only ones who know why and decided to remove the word 'remote' from the front panel in production. If you would like the direct number please email us and we will be happy to pass it on to you :)

At the same time you can give them the serial number of the receiver and they will confirm its authenticity :)

vvvlvd
01-03-11, 21:36
i dont know if this is the right tread. but can i have some help please? i am a relly newby in this so please try to undestand me. thanks. how does it really woks everythig about patching? i have this tm 5402 with a viacces card for maxtv. if i would like to watch the adult chanels on sirius or hotbird13 what exactly i have to do? how does it works ? (patching , clines , i really dont undesrtand to much about it). do i have yo pay for this clines? to ho? or where i can find the info that i need ?
can anybody give me a stap by step guide? thank you !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

bassethound
01-03-11, 21:53
Sorry we cant talk about c/s on the site use google to find all your answers!

Sicilian
01-03-11, 23:33
Rough guide here http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?4174-How-to-patch-and-use-CCcam-on-the-new-Technomate-HD-receivers-TM-5402-TM-6902-TM-7102

Anything else you will need to google.