PDA

View Full Version : New receiver advice

lufc1992
08-08-16, 13:32
Hi guys,I'm looking into getting either the Edision mini or vu zero.My questions are (1) would these boxes run dreamplex and kodi direct adequately (2) do either of the boxes stand out as a better performer than the other ?.Thanks for any help you can give.

lufc1992
10-08-16, 14:07
Thanks for the reply,I'm currently running my plex and kodi on a fire box but was hoping to get everything running through one box but it's pointless if I'm downgrading so I will keep the fire tv and concentrate on a sat box for sat only.As far as the sat side goes which of the 2 boxes is the better if any.Taking into consideration present and future support,reliability and speed and ease of use.

Andy_Hazza
10-08-16, 15:00
You would need either the Vu+ Solo SE v2, Vu+ Solo2, Vu+ Duo2 or the Vu+ Solo4K if you want to run Kodi on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lufc1992
10-08-16, 15:44
Brilliant,thanks for your advice mate it's much appreciated

Andy_Hazza
10-08-16, 16:28
Both have 512MB RAM, the Edison has 512MB flash though compared to 256MB on the Zero, that's handy for EPG data etc. The Edison also has wifi and Bluetooth built in, to add wifi on the Vu's cheap enough (£4ish via ebay) and personally I don't need bluetooth, but it takes up a USB port. Edison are very quick to release new drivers as/when required, Vu aren't, but they have been doing it long enough that they don't need to. Vu's quality isn't as great as they'd like you to think and over the years they have had issues (cap on the Duo for example), but the user base is large and that tends to mean solutions are found quickly. Personally if you were willing to spend Zero money (£99) then i'd consider the twin S2 tuner mini for the same price, WoS sell it on pre-order for the end of the month, or if you want it ASAP it's available on Amazon with a 1-4 day lead time. If you do buy from Amazon remember to order a euro plug adapter. If you only want a single tuner and are happy with a USB HD then the single s2 os mini from WoS is hard to beat at £79.

No no no no. It most certainly isn't handy for EPG data to be stored to the flash at all. Completely giving out the wrong advice there. EPG data to be stored either on a HDD or a USB stick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lufc1992
10-08-16, 16:47
No worries on the epg side mate,I had a venton a couple of years ago and the epg on usb has stuck in my mind,thanks for the advice guys much appreciated :)

Bangord30
10-08-16, 18:29
Picons yes

Stanman
10-08-16, 18:32
Plex/Kodi on MIPS based hardware without a decent GPU is not a great user experience and neither of the boxes you mention are particularly quick MIPS based boxes. You would have a much better time using something more suitable for Plex/kodi like a FireTV4k/Shield/Pi etc. depending on what other features you'll make use of. For example Kodi on my Solo2 (1.3Ghz dual core) isn't fluid or quick using IPTV or streams, it's really not the best tool for the job.
I would disagree and imho depends on build. I gave orroo on FT4K and solo2 whilst the S2 is slightly slower and akin errors occasionally it's more than. Use able for viewing

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

mrxbox360
13-08-16, 23:22
i use 2x vu solo 2 boxes for my sat needs & never had an issue, i have just bought & set up a Edision os mini from wos store for a customer & I'm very surprised how good a box it is for the price £79.