PDA

View Full Version : User interface position needs resetting every day

sarntech
07-08-16, 15:52
With Vix-night-HD, I have to keep resetting the interface position, by moving it up.
This needs to be done at least every day. Is there a way of making it staying in position?

Andy_Hazza
07-08-16, 16:26
Yeah turn overscan off on your tv. This has been covered umpteenth times on the forum. E.g. If you have a Panasonic tv it will be call "overscan", if you have an LG tv it will be called "Just Scan" etc etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sarntech
07-08-16, 16:51
Yeah turn overscan off on your tv. This has been covered umpteenth times on the forum. E.g. If you have a Panasonic tv it will be call "overscan", if you have an LG tv it will be called "Just Scan" etc etc.

Turned overscan off on Panasonic TV but the problem remains. I still can't see the bottom of the EPG.

Andy_Hazza
07-08-16, 16:54
Make sure your Position Setup is set back to default. Menu > Setup > System > User Interface > Position Setup, then press yellow button to Defaults and then green button to save.

Rob van der Does
07-08-16, 17:09
(How) do you close/power-down/switch-off the box?

sarntech
07-08-16, 17:18
Make sure your Position Setup is set back to default. Menu > Setup > System > User Interface > Position Setup, then press yellow button to Defaults and then green button to save.

That did the trick. :thumbsup:

thanks

sarntech
07-08-16, 17:20
(How) do you close/power-down/switch-off the box?
press the power switch on remote

sarntech
08-08-16, 10:35

The problem has returned. I've pressed yellow to default but the EPG is not displaying properly. It is too far left.
Please help. :confused:

Andy_Hazza
08-08-16, 10:49
Looks like your tv has defaulted back. Try a different HDMI port on your tv and turn overscan off again.
Please note, turn your tv n satellite receiver off/standby when swapping HDMI cables etc.

Rob van der Does
08-08-16, 11:05
Sounds like my brand new and expensive Philps TV that I've returned for this (and other) reasons; the demented TV forgot most of it's settings after a day or so :(

sarntech
08-08-16, 11:59
Looks like your tv has defaulted back. Try a different HDMI port on your tv and turn overscan off again.
Please note, turn your tv n satellite receiver off/standby when swapping HDMI cables etc.

Turned off overscan on TV again (not sure why it turned on again) and all is well again.
Thanks again. :thumbsup:

birdman
08-08-16, 18:24
Yeah turn overscan off on your tv.When I do this on my Sony (set the picture to Full, which seems to be the only relevant option) I still need to use a positioner to position the menus (which seem to be overlaid in a separate frame buffer?).

Rob van der Does
08-08-16, 19:39
What's the type of your Sony?

birdman
08-08-16, 22:23
What's the type of your Sony?It's a KDL-32EX723 (2011??).

Once I set the menu position all is fine.

Rob van der Does
09-08-16, 04:11
Hmmm, manual as usual: hardly any info. What are the display settings you can choose? Fo rmy Sony the not-overscan mode is '+1', but naming may differ per type.

Anyway: you have overscan turned on atm, and you should not be happy with that.

birdman
09-08-16, 10:50
Hmmm, manual as usual: hardly any info. What are the display settings you can choose? Fo rmy Sony the not-overscan mode is '+1', but naming may differ per type.

Anyway: you have overscan turned on atm, and you should not be happy with that.Hmmm...
Display->Screen->Display Area.
Not found that before.
It's now on +1 (previously was "Normal").
Now to see what happens to the menus...

EDIT:
Not so simple....
The SD channels on the TV, with the +1 setting, have small black bars on the left and right (so it's back to Normal).
The HD channels have a Full Pixel setting, and this was already on (so perhaps I've been here before and just forgotten...).
When I switch to an HDMI input I get no control over any Display setting at all, and by comparing the scrolling news feed on BBC NEWS HD on this setting with that on the TV directly, it does have overscan on.

So I'll just continue to live with it...

Rob van der Does
09-08-16, 11:46
When I switch to an HDMI input I get no control over any Display setting at all,
Sony only allows you control when an active input is actually present.
And yes: some SD-services show some things they shouldn't show (some HD-servives as well); that's really a fault of the contents provider. But better that, than being in the situation that every screen pixel actually shows 0.95 video pixel.

So for your TV the setting 'no overscan' is also the '+1" setting.

birdman
09-08-16, 13:42
Sony only allows you control when an active input is actually present.Not in my case. If I'm switched to an HDMI input I have no access to the relevant configuration menus.

ccs
09-08-16, 14:04
Not in my case. If I'm switched to an HDMI input I have no access to the relevant configuration menus.My Sony tv allows the hdmi display area to have the values Normal, -1 or -2.:confused:

Rob van der Does
09-08-16, 14:58
Not in my case. If I'm switched to an HDMI input I have no access to the relevant configuration menus.
Then there must be an other setting forbidding this I guess.

Rob van der Does
09-08-16, 14:59
My Sony tv allows the hdmi display area to have the values Normal, -1 or -2.:confused:
Yep, all brands and even in a brand all kinds of names are being used. For reasons unknown to me, there is no TV-manufacturer (that I know of) that simply calls 'overscan' by it's own name :confused:
Highly confusing.

Valiant
09-08-16, 15:36
Yep, all brands and even in a brand all kinds of names are being used. For reasons unknown to me, there is no TV-manufacturer (that I know of) that simply calls 'overscan' by it's own name :confused:
Highly confusing.

Hisense does

Rob van der Does
09-08-16, 16:19
Never heard of 'Hisense', but that would be the exception to the rule than.

twol
09-08-16, 16:43

Chinese tech company tv,s phones etc etc ..... actually not bad, big in Asia, presence in usa.

Rob van der Does
09-08-16, 16:49
Well, if they indeed call 'overscan' by it's proper name, they have my sympathy already :)

Valiant
09-08-16, 17:00

Chinese tech company tv,s phones etc etc ..... actually not bad, big in Asia, presence in usa.

They sponsored UEFA Euro 2016 - easy to miss I suppose :)

Andy_Hazza
09-08-16, 22:15
Hmmm...
Display->Screen->Display Area.
Not found that before.
It's now on +1 (previously was "Normal").
Now to see what happens to the menus...

EDIT:
Not so simple....
The SD channels on the TV, with the +1 setting, have small black bars on the left and right (so it's back to Normal).
The HD channels have a Full Pixel setting, and this was already on (so perhaps I've been here before and just forgotten...).
When I switch to an HDMI input I get no control over any Display setting at all, and by comparing the scrolling news feed on BBC NEWS HD on this setting with that on the TV directly, it does have overscan on.

So I'll just continue to live with it...

What are your a/v settings?

birdman
09-08-16, 22:17
What are your a/v settings?I'm not sure what you are asking here.
My settings where?
I have an HDMI input to the TV - I haven't set anything, anywhere.

Andy_Hazza
09-08-16, 22:23
I'm not sure what you are asking here.
My settings where?
I have an HDMI input to the TV - I haven't set anything, anywhere.

Sorry. Menu > Setup > System > AV Settings. Do you have Automatic Resolution 'Enabled'?

birdman
10-08-16, 01:52
Sorry. Menu > Setup > System > AV Settings. Do you have Automatic Resolution 'Enabled'?Yes. With the output set to 1080i (the MBTwin can't do 1080p).
Changing this (just tried it) makes the picture worse - including a strange attempt to try 2160p (according to the InfoBar at least) on a channel change which resulted in a fixed green cast to the picture (needed a GUI restart to clear).
I'm actually quite content with how things are, so will leave them alone now.

Andy_Hazza
10-08-16, 07:44
I would personally change Automatic Resolution to "Disabled" that is why your SD n HD picture keeps altering with borders etc.

Rob van der Does
10-08-16, 07:50
Automatic resolution "Disabled" = using the STB's upscaler.
Automatic resolution "Enabled" = using the TV's upscaler.

On all my TV's I've tried to identify any quality difference between the two, but I never managed. So I use 'disabled' to prevent the annoying scaling-change artefacts (TV switching to other modes).

Andy_Hazza
10-08-16, 08:54
Yes and in Birdman's case he will get the annoying scaling-change. Now that he has turned the overscan feature off on his Sony TV, disabling Auto Resolution is his best option.

Rob van der Does
10-08-16, 13:47
That's my opinion (and setting) as well.

birdman
10-08-16, 18:41
I would personally change Automatic Resolution to "Disabled" that is why your SD n HD picture keeps altering with borders etc.It doesn't keep altering. It's constant. Just minorly different between HD directly on TV (no overscan) and HD via the mbtwin (slight overscan).

And, if you read #31 (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?52750-User-interface-position-needs-resetting-every-day&p=412383&viewfull=1#post412383), you'll see that "Disabled" doesn't actually work well for me at all!

Joe_90
11-08-16, 17:31
@birdman - when you say "HD directly on TV" do you mean when it is using its internal tuner?

If so, it could be that the settings for overscan/just scan on the TV are separate for each input. I know my Sony (and my Samsung) TV has settings that are configurable for each HD input (component and HDMI). The only input (as regards overscan) that I can't configure on my Sony is the composite video - you just have to accept a certain level of overscan.

Rob van der Does
11-08-16, 17:48
It's quite normal; that overscan (and other settings) are per input.
And indeed: AFAIK all TV's only allow 'overscan' settings to be turned off for digital inputs.

PS: How can you be sure that for (internal) TV overscan is zero? Seems difficult to establish to me.

birdman
11-08-16, 20:26
@birdman - when you say "HD directly on TV" do you mean when it is using its internal tuner?

If so, it could be that the settings for overscan/just scan on the TV are separate for each input.They can't be set for any input - only for direct TV viewing (where SD and HD channels allow separate settings).

birdman
12-08-16, 01:48
They can't be set for any input - only for direct TV viewing (where SD and HD channels allow separate settings).WAIT!!

It turns out that the blue HOME button is inactive for external inputs.
BUT I've now discovered I can get to the same menus via a different route (so why the blue HOME button is disabled is a mystery...). The relevant setting there was "Auto", so I've changed it to "Full pixel" and it might have made a difference. More testing will be done when I'm not actually watching things....

birdman
12-08-16, 13:42
The relevant setting there was "Auto", so I've changed it to "Full pixel" and it might have made a difference. More testing will be done when I'm not actually watching things....Yes - it has made a difference! I can now change my Position Setup in the user interface settings to be 0/720/0/576 (rather then the previous 12/696/10/557) and still see the menus on-screen.

Rob van der Does
13-08-16, 05:41
Good: real HD at last for you as well :D

Joe_90
17-08-16, 13:20
@birdman - you got there in the end :cool:

Joe_90
17-08-16, 13:44
It's quite normal; that overscan (and other settings) are per input.
And indeed: AFAIK all TV's only allow 'overscan' settings to be turned off for digital inputs.

PS: How can you be sure that for (internal) TV overscan is zero? Seems difficult to establish to me.

If you can receive one of those pesky channels with the visible VBI lines via your internal cable or satellite tuner (Horror +1 / Forces TV are ones that spring to mind) and the lines are visible, then the TV is not overscanning in internal tuner mode. My Sony TV has an internal sat tuner and on TV mode I am not able to set the screen area to full pixel. There is a slight overscan default and you can set higher overscan (-1 and -2). On the default overscan in TV mode it just pushes the VBI lines off the top and the picture looks ok on SD and HD channels. I really can't say the quality difference between the slight overscan on HD through the internal tuner and that on the HDMI input (with exact pixel setting) from the STB is noticeable.

Rob van der Does
17-08-16, 16:02
If you can receive one of those pesky channels with the visible VBI lines via your internal cable or satellite tuner (Horror +1 / Forces TV are ones that spring to mind) and the lines are visible, then the TV is not overscanning in internal tuner mode.
True .

Rob van der Does
17-08-16, 16:05
BTW: you did notice that in the last ViX-build there is an option to hide that line (per service)?

Joe_90
17-08-16, 17:38
Yes - I've commented on it in another thread. The hide VBI doesn't work very well on my main TV as it only partially obscures the data and the effect varies as the broadcaster switches from 4:3 to 16:9 etc. I'd consider it a "gimmick" really as it affects only a small number of channels (on 28.2 specifically) and these are ones I would rarely watch. I'd rather have my permanent time shift working reliably on my GB Quad+ ;)

Rob van der Does
17-08-16, 17:41
Yes - I've commented on it in another thread. The hide VBI doesn't work very well on my main TV as it only partially obscures the data and the effect varies as the broadcaster switches from 4:3 to 16:9 etc.
On which services is that?
And there has been an update for that (in dev, not in release yet).

Joe_90
17-08-16, 17:45
All or any of them - and I'm on dev on the GB Quad+ As I said - it's no biggie. I think most users won't see VBI lines anyway as they have the TV on overscan (this is the default mode).

Bangord30
17-08-16, 19:04
Guys, I've the same issue i think. But only since I got my Xtrend 8500 a few weeks ago and happening on Vix and ATV. My telly is a 720p Sony Bravia. Settings not been touched in years. And my STB has same A/V settings I've always used. I don't use HDMIrec or anything.
What is going on here exactly??? Why suddenly?? I'm on latest Vix but happened on .16 too.

What's the answer in layman terms lol?

twol
17-08-16, 20:00
What issue?, I think you need to be more precise:) and explain

Bangord30
17-08-16, 21:16
As per post 1. User interface position changing itself after set

Bangord30
18-08-16, 08:03
On a slightly similar note, does anyone know if it's possible to adjust the light grey/black rectangle that overshadows your Tv picture on your LCD screen. It never touches the sides. I've tried numerous LCD skins and other OSs.

Andy_Hazza
19-08-16, 06:33
On a slightly similar note, does anyone know if it's possible to adjust the light grey/black rectangle that overshadows your Tv picture on your LCD screen. It never touches the sides. I've tried numerous LCD skins and other OSs.

Aup. The light grey/black rectangle problem is to do with the display positioner. You can find this in Menu > Setup > System > User Interface > Position Setup.

Bangord30
19-08-16, 08:07
Ah ok so the one place does your Tv and lcd box? I'd set for my tv it still seems way out on the LCD? Re the original issue, i changed my skin again and that seems to have solve the interface on the tv resetting itself daily. Weird

Rob van der Does
19-08-16, 08:16
Aup. The light grey/black rectangle problem is to do with the display positioner. You can find this in Menu > Setup > System > User Interface > Position Setup.
He's talking about the LCD on the frontpanel; the OSD-positioner is for the OSD on the TV.

Bangord30
19-08-16, 08:26
Ah ok, sorry, thanks guys. Hopefully my osd situation is solved then but not sure why suddenly happened

Bangord30
19-08-16, 19:43
He's talking about the LCD on the frontpanel; the OSD-positioner is for the OSD on the TV.
Sorry where's the OSD positioner on Vix? Before the days of an lcd screen I'd use position setup for my tv?!

Rob van der Does
19-08-16, 19:52
In user interface.

Bangord30
19-08-16, 20:19
I've only position setup, settings, 3d setup, position setup(for lcd now we're saying) and skin setup? As usual..I'm.lost.

abu baniaz
19-08-16, 20:30
Take a picture and upload it so others are not lost about what you are talking about.

darren28
21-08-16, 07:13
I had the same problem with the VIX image that was pre-installed I had to re-flash in the end and it is now ok
It just keeps freezing now so need to look into that?

skronk
21-08-16, 09:19
I cannot get the info box on xtrend 8500 lcd screen to actually fill the screen. There is always a border of about 3mm all around the edges. This persists with reflash and skin changes. Quite disappointing. I now have the lcd switched off permanently as constant tv content movement is shown in the 3mm gap around the edge. Seems a strange feature to add when annoyance overcomes usability.
Perhaps could be repaired in any update ?

cactikid
21-08-16, 09:50
what settings can be adjusted for front led display?

Bangord30
21-08-16, 10:12
Yeah I still can't figure this out! If I put tv interface to default it seems to make LCD screen fuller around the sides but then the tv is way off.

Andy_Hazza
21-08-16, 10:41
No option to turn overscan off on tv?

Bangord30
21-08-16, 10:59
Line Birdman think it was I've an older 720p Bravia. Maybe. No remote though! Broke ;)

Andy_Hazza
21-08-16, 11:36
Can you not use the menu button on the side of your tv etc to navigate to settings on tv etc?

Bangord30
21-08-16, 12:52
Whatever it turned out to be called on the Bravia, maybe I could, yes. It seems fine on the confluence skin though now. Still not understanding how to sort out the LCD screen positron though

twol
21-08-16, 14:06
I cannot get the info box on xtrend 8500 lcd screen to actually fill the screen. There is always a border of about 3mm all around the edges. This persists with reflash and skin changes. Quite disappointing. I now have the lcd switched off permanently as constant tv content movement is shown in the 3mm gap around the edge. Seems a strange feature to add when annoyance overcomes usability.
Perhaps could be repaired in any update ?

For some reason when you change the size displayed on the TV, (because of overscan) on a power off/on or full restart Enigma also changes the size of the frame buffer used by the skin.

So I guess its a bug in the code that sets up the. framebuffer

When you have overscan on the TV and reduce it to fit, you find that if you do a full restart, then skin in the Front lcd display is also reduced by "x" mm and you can see the tv picture behind.

A temporary bypass:- :):) As long you only use standby or gui restart:)
Always take a settings backup with the screen display at default.
Make a note of the settings when you change the TV display!
Then when I flash, I run through the wizard, restore backup settings then go to the menu/system/user settings and change the TV display settings using the recorded figures.

Provided you never reboot the receiver, it will keep the changed TV settings and not reset the front LCD display.

Meant to have a look before my hols, but as it only impacts my test receiver, not a big issue (for me)!
I guess beware Overscan!

skronk
21-08-16, 15:34
This can be fixed. Using blue hd skin.i set user interface position to default, kept pressing ok on remote to see where channel info box located on tv screen while changing aspect option on my lg tv. Just scan was the one for me. 8500 lcd screen now full....well, for now anyway !
Tv was factory set at original.

twol
21-08-16, 15:51
This can be fixed. Using blue hd skin.i set user interface position to default, kept pressing ok on remote to see where channel info box located on tv screen while changing aspect option on my lg tv. Just scan was the one for me. 8500 lcd screen now full....well, for now anyway !
Tv was factory set at original.

Just scan is the option on many TV,s to remove any overscan, hence the front lcd skin is also OK.

glenyang
24-10-16, 12:40
Hello,

If you can access your STB via telnet, could you give a information on below matter?

1) Check your IP-address
2) Telnet [IP-address]
3) Change the position on Setup Menu
4) Check values on terminal
cat /proc/stb/fb/dst_height
cat /proc/stb/fb/dst_width
cat /proc/stb/fb/dst_left
cat /proc/stb/fb/dst_top
5) REBOOT
6) Check again values on terminal
cat /proc/stb/fb/dst_top

Could you give us these information?
It is very helpful to support you.

Thank you.

abu baniaz
24-10-16, 12:50
Glenyang is part of the Manufacturer's development team. Please assist him.

twol
24-10-16, 13:40
Hello,

If you can access your STB via telnet, could you give a information on below matter?

1) Check your IP-address
2) Telnet [IP-address]
3) Change the position on Setup Menu
4) Check values on terminal
cat /proc/stb/fb/dst_top
5) REBOOT
6) Check again values on terminal
cat /proc/stb/fb/dst_top

Could you give us these information?
It is very helpful to support you.

Thank you.
So setup with default values in Position setup
Your 4 settings read 00000240, 000002d0, 0,0
change settings to in Position Setup:
Your 4 settings are: 0000021F, 000002a5, 00000016, 00000011
TV screen is now fine and LCD display is fine

Reboot

Your 4 settings are same values
But LCD screen has 3 mm gap around skin........ restarting E2 Gui keeps full skin across whole of LCD screen

Hope this is what you want :)