PDA

View Full Version : [ET8500] Is it possibly for the STB to turn itself on - and why?

Flyingpig
04-08-16, 11:48
Hello All,

Came down this morning and my ET8500 was turned on. This is tne 2nd morning in a row where I have come downstairs and it is on?

I have checked with the wife and kids and they never turned it on. So 2 mornings in a row, come down stairs and it is on. Why would it do this, would it turn itself on to download the EPG?

THanks,

James.

ANywas, as I am typing this, the box has gone into loop when I tried to change the LCD skin. Come back my ET9000 which was no trouble... nothing but littel niggles with this... Help..,.!!!!!!!

Andy_Hazza
04-08-16, 12:04
May have failed on the CrossEPG downloader, thus why it was still on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Andy_Hazza
04-08-16, 12:06
Out of curiosity where are you storing your EPG data to?

Flyingpig
04-08-16, 12:07
Would that possibly make it lose its network connections and prevent my box upstairs connecting to it via a mount?

Thans,

Flyingpig
04-08-16, 12:09
Out of curiosity where are you storing your EPG data to?

On my USB,, it is set in the menu to use my USB mount, but when the EPG is downloaded it shows up on my USB and my HDD.

Andy_Hazza
04-08-16, 12:12
Why using a usb. Use your HDD to store your EPG data. I can understand if your receiver can't take an internal HDD then a usb is the only option, but as you have an ET8500 with internal HDD capacity use your HDD for storing the EPG data.

Flyingpig
04-08-16, 12:14
I will change it to that... I was under the impression that Picons and EPG was to be stored on the USB.

Should I keep picons on the USB or HDD?

Andy_Hazza
04-08-16, 13:37
I will change it to that... I was under the impression that Picons and EPG was to be stored on the USB.

Should I keep picons on the USB or HDD?

Looking at the ET8500 flash memory specs which is 512MB, I would personally do away with the usb and install your Picons to the root (flash).
Picons are not suitable to be installed on a HDD.

dfox
04-08-16, 14:18
Looking at the ET8500 flash memory specs which is 512MB, I would personally do away with the usb and install your Picons to the root (flash).
Picons are not suitable to be installed on a HDD.

Just out of curiosity, why should they not be installed in the HDD?

Andy_Hazza
04-08-16, 14:28
Your HDD tends to spin constantly when installed to the HDD and they tend to be slower at loading the pictures, whereas on flash they are instant.

bellejt
04-08-16, 15:00
question concerning : I keep picons in root and epg on usb.Does the HDD not spin up everytime you access EPG ?

Larry-G
04-08-16, 16:13
Just out of curiosity, why should they not be installed in the HDD?
Because every time you pull up the EPG or change a channel the HDD would have to spin up to access and display the picons. This can easily add 5 to 8 seconds to the zap time. Just place picons in the internal flash or a USB stick.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Larry-G
04-08-16, 16:14
question concerning : I keep picons in root and epg on usb.Does the HDD not spin up everytime you access EPG ?
Because the EPG is stored in live flash and is only read from or written to the HDD when updating or when the receiver is shutdown or powered on. All other times its in the ram and instantly available.

bellejt
04-08-16, 16:22
ok thx then I practically do not need usb stick anymore on my DUO2. :p

Larry-G
04-08-16, 16:48
ok thx then I practically do not need usb stick anymore on my DUO2. :p
Agreed.

1554leslie
04-08-16, 16:56
Just out of curiosity, why should they not be installed in the HDD?You could end up deleting your epg by mistake on the hard drive when you are deleting old recordings,If the epg is stored on its own usb stick then that cant really happen

Flyingpig
04-08-16, 17:02
Just checked the Picon folder on my USB and it is 232Mb,, It does contain MK Picons, and some for 13 east? Is it okay to put this much into the Flash?

Also, how do I transfer these into the flash memory of the ET8500?

Thanks,

James.

Andy_Hazza
04-08-16, 17:16
You could end up deleting your epg by mistake on the hard drive when you are deleting old recordings,If the epg is stored on its own usb stick then that cant really happen

Eh.......... And it can easily be generated again. Pretty useless statement that is. [emoji13]

dfox
04-08-16, 17:55
Your HDD tends to spin constantly when installed to the HDD and they tend to be slower at loading the pictures, whereas on flash they are instant.

Thanks will change to flash now then. Cheers for that

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

dfox
04-08-16, 18:00
You could end up deleting your epg by mistake on the hard drive when you are deleting old recordings,If the epg is stored on its own usb stick then that cant really happen
Unless you change location on the HDD you shouldn't delete epg.dat as it is not stored in MEDIA/HDD/MOVIE, but I will change the location of picons now.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Larry-G
04-08-16, 19:15
That's not really going to happen though. EPG data is live data in that it's held in the flash while the box is running. It is only saved to or read from its storage media on startup shutdown or when updating.

Flyingpig
04-08-16, 20:44
How do I transfer picons from my file into Flash Memory ?

Thanks,

Larry-G
04-08-16, 21:26
I can't remember the exact location on the flash you have to ftp them to but some one will.

Ashley69
04-08-16, 21:32
How do I transfer picons from my file into Flash Memory ?

Thanks,

Put your folder(ftp) named picon into the root folder.

Ashley69
04-08-16, 21:38
And for anyone downloading picons from the plugins it will give you the option as to where to install them.

Flyingpig
04-08-16, 21:58
Do I treat SNP and LCD picons the same or put in a different folder? They cant be in the same folder as it asks if it needs overwriting?

THanks,

James.

Ashley69
04-08-16, 22:04
I have only one folder in root with the SNP Picons. These picons show on my LCD and on the epg/banners etc.

Bangord30
05-08-16, 08:07
To the OP, without a power timer set, if his ABM is last thing to update then his box won't go back to sleep will it?

Andy_Hazza
05-08-16, 08:39
To the OP, without a power timer set, if his ABM is last thing to update then his box won't go back to sleep will it?

Why's that then?

Bangord30
05-08-16, 08:44
That's what I'm asking/trying to clarify. Maybe a setting I missed but if box in standby before you go to your pit, is there not one of them, CrossEPG or ABM, that will update but not put box back to sleep? I set a standby timer in case after them.

Andy_Hazza
05-08-16, 08:54
No timer needed on both. I have ABM to scan first n CrossEPG 15 mins after and all my boxes are in standby.

rikesh
11-08-16, 13:43
Do you have Openwebif or streaming ports open? If so, check your Internet router logs. I had a similar issue a while ago and it turned out that some rat was connecting and streaming from my box. This could trigger the standby on / off.

FYI - the default for streaming authentication on Vix images is set to off (not sure why, I think it should be default on).