PDA

View Full Version : kinda stuck dont know which one to buy

pgtips
12-05-10, 12:21
First can i say a big hello to everyone on here i have just joined.

i have been out of the sat scene for some years as i joined the cable gang lol

anyway i am trying to get back into this

i am after some advice really on a reciver box to get whats a linix with the ccams etc
and of course hd i guess eveentually everything is going to be hd so i
see the sd boxes being phrase out.

these new technomate mate hd 800 boxes look a good price and the
brand name has been around for a long
time.
just wondering about future support as always with these type of things, images etc
are the ccams on it as standard does anyone know

and also its been put back for software issues which does not sound good, any news on a release date

i was wondering if anyone else is tempted to take the plunge n buy one or am i just better off
buying the v+ duo
just thinking about ease of use setting up etc

i understand and the duo is a dual tuner, n all
my setup is going to be when all sorted a 90cm dish, and a motor on it so im kinda do i go for a
twin tuner or not i dont record anything now lol

and the price

im in the uk

kind regards

pgtips

Monty
12-05-10, 12:31
Hi pgtips.
I'd say it all depends on what you want from the box.
If it's just a means to watch TV, then there are pretty simple boxes out there, but if you want to play a bit and experiment, Linux boxes are they weay forward.
I will say, that from personal experience, the VU+ is excellent kit, and real easy to setup, and this is echoed by many other.
Good luck in search for the perfect box. :)

Chunkey
12-05-10, 12:39
Hi pgtips
I can't really speak from experience as I am only just dipping my toe into the sat scene myself. My personal choice was to try and future proof my purchase as much as possible (HD, PVR, Twin Tuner etc, etc). Having joined this forum and viewing post on the many other forums I frequent it had to be the VU+ Duo for me. The guys on here are very very helpful and the site sponsor ********* is very honest helpful and trustworthy.

Hope this helps and good luck

Chunkey

bobonthejob
12-05-10, 13:00
Hey Pgtips, welcome to the crowd dude.

Im a newbie to the sat scene too. My first ever box has been the Vu Plus duo. To date i cant say i have found anything bad about the box. Monty us sopt on with the point of 'What you want from the box?'.

Linux box the way forward if you are willing to play, read, try and learn. Ofcourse it takes some time but i can say so far for me it has been a great adventure. If you want simplicity and 'i just wana watch tv' then stick to the other boxes. I.e. technomate.

Let use know if you have any other questions.

Sicilian
12-05-10, 13:13
Ello there Tetley, oops meant pgtips :p

Personally I think this is down to budget and how much you want to future proof your purchase.

The TM-800 HD, now I've been told this is using a specially ported OpenPLi image, for the price it defo looks good enough for what it state's it can do. I'm hoping to test one out soon. So hold my judgement until then.

The other alternative Single Tuner HD Enigma 2 receivers are the DM500HD and the soon to be released VU+ Solo, which should have support from VTI, Dream Elite and OpenPLi.

Now if a a budget of £399 is not too high I'd recommend the VU+ Duo all day long :) Dual tuner, option to fit SATA drive, fully open source Enigma 2, superb fast receiver, best I've ever owned. So far there's images from the VTI team, Dream Elite (ex nabilosat team) and OpenPLi. The support for this receiver has just been getting better and better. Just look in our downloads sections to see the amount of new images/improvements that have been released. With this baby you could have a motorised dish on one tuner and a fixed dish on the other ;) Your choice m8, remember your going to own it for a while so buy the best you can afford.