PDA

View Full Version : Ready to buy ET8500

tiger
03-08-16, 00:24
Hi All,

I'm new to this. Was looking to purchase a receiver (box, as i call it), thinking of the vu solo 2.
I've been put onto this receiver as it is a better spec and cheaper.
The hdd caddy will be good for me as i have loads of hdd's lying around.
I also have 2 apple time capsules so will try to record on those via usb.

Ready to buy from world of sat's with openvix.
There are not as many threads on this make of receiver, will people here
be able to guide me through setting it up?

I have 2 X sky hd boxes and a freeview hd box in 3 rooms.
I will buy this for my living room and needs to record, the others don't really need to record.
so i will buy the 'best' one now which could be this Xtrend ET8500.
I have a fixed sky dish and no subscription to sky for years!

Also i am limited to how much i can download, i have a spare 10 - 20gb per month
available to use but that's about it, so streaming or internet TV will eat this, i dont mind too much
and as the months pass my limit increases.
I no longer use broadband with a telephone line, i use a mobile broadband router, it's perfect for me, very fast
(50mb download / 18mb upload) and i can take it anywhere i go as i also have a mobile router.
However i am limited to 50Gb on one sim and 20gb on another, the 20gb sim soon to be closed.
so at the moment i have a good amount spare but 20gb less in a couple of months.
I think this will be a bit of a problem but should be fine for me, i dont watch too much TV in any case.

I'll have to see if i can work out how much internet it will use per hour of tv say, very roughly of course!
if not in HD, it shouldn't be too much but i guess would add up if watching a lot of TV. I'm more interested in
certain programs such as motorsport, other sports and films which interest me, i dont need to watch every
crap film made when it comes out.

any advice on this receiver would be helpful, it is easy to set-up / use?
Owners reviews would be great.
Anyone who can help me set this up for use with openvix please PM me!
i would like to know how to use this machine fully and about these new things to me such as the card slots, what they are for etc
and any other info would be great.

thanks

Tiger

Huevos
03-08-16, 01:37
:confused: watching satellite tv doesn't require the internet.

gibbletts
03-08-16, 09:57
i think you're confused the boxes are connected to your sat dish they don't stream channels, you need an active sky sub to view sky channels. What I think you want to know about we don't discuss on this forum. Suffice to say without an active sky subscription you will legally only receive freesat.

Delboy181251
03-08-16, 12:33
Hi tiger,
I have recently purchased the Xtrend ET8500 receiver from World of Sat and am very happy with it. Like every new box, there is a learning curve but you will find all you the help you need on W.O.S website even before you purchase it. You just have to look for it. Also the Xtrend and OpenVIX websites are helpful. You can google the stuff we are not allowed to talk about. That 's what I did. But as was pointed out it does link to your satellite dish unless you order one with a RF tuner as well in which case you can pull in FTA digital channels via that. I think it may be possible to stream content using the ET8500 with OpenVIX, but that is not what I bought it for. In my opinion, as value for money, this can do everything the VU solo 2 can do and I would thoroughly recommend it. Good luck.

tiger
03-08-16, 16:10
Hi All,

I understand it does not stream channels but i was told this can be done for some channels / programs, also maybe some streaming involved in
on demand services. I was just trying to add as much info so people understand what i have and what i want to do.
Also as i am limited to how much data i can download i was interested how much data it would use as it need to be connected to the internet.

thanks for the help delboy181251, I think i will order this receiver.
guess i need to look at WOS website more than i have,
i guess it's like looking for love, i've been looking in all the wrong places!

thanks

Tiger

Larry-G
03-08-16, 17:03
You do not need a Internet connection to watch or receive satellite TV channels. You also don't need a internet connection for EPG data especially if your only interested in sky uk. The only reason you need a internet connection for is to access the images plugin feeds or to stream channels / certain catch up services and of course the illegal stuff too which can't and won't be discussed here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk