PDA

View Full Version : VU+ Solo 2

tiger
01-08-16, 09:37
Hi All, i'm new here!

I'm looking to buy a VU+ Solo 2, checking i'm in the right place. World of satellites have this
on their website at £229.00.

I have copied the next bit from my introduction thread:

I have a Sky dish which gives me FTA in 3 rooms. I use a humax freesat PVR to record and sky hd boxes on the other 2 which are junk.
Not really too bothered about recording, with a VU+ i can add a hdd later if i need but i have 2 large usb hdd (apple time capsule's) also
which if work with a VU box would be great.

So any advice would be great, i guess i should plant myself in the VU section!

anyone recommend any other receiver as 'the best' or 'better' than a VU+ Solo 2.
Anything easier to use??

I will be buying from world of satellite and was thinking of having 'openvix' pre-installed.
Would this be a good choice?

The only thing i dont want is to use the internet to stream the programs as i am limited to how much
i can download, i have a spare 10gb per month available but not enough to watch streams.

Would be nice to know peoples opinion on which image to use Open PLi, Blackhole or OpenVix.
What is the difference?

Thanks

Tiger

abu baniaz
01-08-16, 09:54
Best to try the different images yourself and decide which your household likes most. This being the ViX forum, most people here use ViX.

tiger
01-08-16, 10:18
Hi Abu,

Yes thanks, i just found that out and was about to edit my post but thanks for that.
I will try a few of them as it seems to be personal taste which sways the decision.

Thanks

Tiger

tiger
01-08-16, 10:20
Hi,

It would be nice to hear what people like about OpenVix.
And also it's bad points.

thanks

Tiger

Trial
01-08-16, 11:07
Hi,
I would say if you are are from
UK/Irland OpenViX is the best image to start
Germany VTi or OpenATV is the best to start
Italy (I think) BlackHole or OpenBlackHole is the best to start.

ciao

tiger
01-08-16, 21:07
Hi Avalon,

Thanks for that info. Which other models have better spec boxes?
How long have you had your solo 2?

i understand these boxes need to be connected to the internet. How much downloading is involved?
I am limited but have a spare 10gb per month i can use. Will it be less than 10GB / month?
Also what would happen if i unplugged the ethernet cable? does the picture vanish?

I'm interested to know and also limited to my usage.

Thanks

Tiger

cactikid
01-08-16, 22:45
please leave lan connection in as extras are nice:D meaning kodidirect or tsmedia,unsure of how much they use:confused:

Trial
02-08-16, 08:10
Hi,
you can of course use the box without internet but then it looses a lot of their posibilities.

ciao

tiger
02-08-16, 14:51
Hi Avalon,

Yes the Xtrend E8500 does have a better spec than the VU. A little big but cheaper also!!
always helps.
Think i'll go for that instead then.

Thanks for the other info, it's settling in. I can spare some internet maybe even upto 20gb per month
but not too much more so streaming would cause me an issue. I see now, the EPG uses the internet.
great info.

thanks

Tiger

Trial
02-08-16, 15:02
Hi,
if EPG needs internet depends on what provider you have. Some provider use OTA EPG.

ciao

tiger
02-08-16, 23:48
Hi Avalon,

Another question! I hope you can help with.
Will i get the freeview HD channels in HD!!
So do you get freeview hd channels with your vu box?

Thanks again

Tiger

Larry-G
03-08-16, 05:00
Some but not all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tiger
03-08-16, 15:59
Hi,

What is OTA EPG and which providers use it??

thanks

Tiger

Larry-G
03-08-16, 17:21
OTA or over the air.

This is what sky them selves use, the EPG is broadcast via the same satellite the channels are, the image uses the same data (OpenTV) in conjunction with CrossEPG to generate the EPG.

Hence no internet needed.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Trial
03-08-16, 18:03
Hi,
OverTheAir which mean through the program transmission so no need for internet. I am not from the UK so I cannot say who.

ciao

bellejt
03-08-16, 21:18
on the air epg.CD NL ,german fta and others uses it .