PDA

View Full Version : Novice needing help on which box to buy

dafro77
30-07-16, 16:27
Hello there, new to the forum and hoping you can help. I am looking to cancel my Sky subscription and buy a box which is basically the same as a Sky box with live pause and the ability to record and watch another channel and have access to all the channels. Which box would you recommend? I have also heard that you cannot get HD channels if you are connecting to a Sky connection, is this true and would I need to get Virgin TV in to access the HD channels. Any help is appreciated

Regards dafro77

Ford1
30-07-16, 16:33
There is no box that "give" you pay-tv, you cannot watch sky channels without a valid subscription, the same goes for the HD virgin channels.

Just about any twin tuner box with the addition of a HDD will give the function to watch and record separate channels, and to series link and the such like.

Most box's are able to be "skinned" to replicate the look of a sky set top box.

You need to come at us with a budget and more specific requirments and existing infrastructure / subscriptions

Larry-G
03-08-16, 17:43
What your asking for is illegal and you won't get help here to steal pay TV channels.

That said any E2 based receiver will do pretty much every thing you need but you will have to go else where for help getting access to pay TV channels for free.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

dafro77
04-08-16, 18:29
What your asking for is illegal and you won't get help here to steal pay TV channels.

That said any E2 based receiver will do pretty much every thing you need but you will have to go else where for help getting access to pay TV channels for free.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I worded it wrongly sorry, I will be paying for a subscription but just wondering what is the best box to get, are the VU+ recievers good for the recording of channels whilst watching another and live pause etc, basically just looking for the right box. Thanks in advance

Ford1
04-08-16, 19:26
Just about ANY Linux E2 receiver will do what you want, It all boils down to user preference and budget. As I said if you give more info on your existing infrastructure, satellite / cable requirements, you would get some help.

I run a xtrend et8000 and Edison os mini, both twin tuners and both have storage, enabling me to watch, record, pause, series link, and program a graphical epg, that is skinned to look like a standard sky box.

Andy_Hazza
04-08-16, 22:58
The Vu+ Solo2 is an excellent receiver.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dafro77
06-08-16, 20:36
Thank you all for the info, I was looking at getting a Vu+ Solo2 as my budget works around that. I currently have Sky in but Im gonna get that out and will probably have a Virgin media connection as I already have Virgin Broadband in. What type of firmware is best? USB Storage, Fitted HDD options, USB WiFi Option, Networking Powerline Homeplugs and VU+ Additional USB Tuner options would I need any of these. Sorry again for all the questions but I have no clue when it comes to this sort of thing.

cactikid
07-08-16, 00:20
vu solo2 twin sat receiver.
i use openvix as choice you can decide.
i use 8gb kingston micro for epg.
i use 1 tb internal hdd your choice of size needed.
dont use wifi as preferred hard wired.
people have used vu usb tuner turbo for cable.
or
newer models of xtrend receivers can have 2 sat + 1 cable tuner or more,choices choices.

skronk
14-08-16, 19:26
I run a xtrend et8000 and Edison os mini, both twin tuners and both have storage, enabling me to watch, record, pause, series link, and program a graphical epg, that is skinned to look like a standard sky box.

By series link....do you mean Autotimers. Wife is constantly on about "SKY series link is great"....She does not rate the autotimers. Don't ask. On the (very) rare times I watch the box its live footie. Timers don't matter. Might there be a likelyhood of Sky like timers which automatically change a series like if programme times change ?

Thanks