PDA

View Full Version : Sky q

JamieV
29-07-16, 20:47
Hi guys
Got a technomate se plus with an additional cable tuner.
I don't use the sat tuner and was wondering if I ran a cable in from my Skyq dish would it work?

I only ask as the sky installer said the sky+had boxes wouldn't work with the lnb and I didn't really know what the difference was :s

If anybody could explain that'd be great!

Thanks
Jamie

Andy_Hazza
29-07-16, 21:15
SkyQ uses a new type of LNB. It will be a Unicable LNB most likely.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DaMacFunkin
30-07-16, 07:10
As Andy says if your LNB has been upgraded for Skyq you would have to have a spare 'legacy' output to use the dish with anything other than Skyq or solo4k.
Whether the lnb that has been fitted to your house has a legacy output you would only be able to find out by inspecting it.

Huevos
30-07-16, 09:19
No, not unicable. Unicable only uses one cable.

Sky q lnb is wideband, i.e. it sends the two horizontal subbands down one cable and the two vertical subbands down another. This means it is not compatible with conventional satellite tuners.

Unicable on the other hand is fully compatible with all satellite hardware and just needs correct software to get it working.

Using wideband means the system is no longer compatible with receivers that use conventional technology, like Freesat. So is this just a ploy to force you to use their equiment throughout your house.

iliko
30-03-17, 09:40
Does this mean soon Sky will port everything to new LNB and none of the freesat device sold via world-of-satellite stop working? My Xtrend ET8500 stopped working for example with new SKY-Q LNB, so wondering do I need to update my card? If yes which one do I need to buy so Xtrend ET8500 would support it?

nibbenjamin
30-03-17, 10:22
You need a hybrid LNB for normal boxes to work if you have sky q fitted! Request it from the installer at the time of fitting

Larry-G
06-04-17, 03:21
You need a hybrid LNB for normal boxes to work if you have sky q fitted! Request it from the installer at the time of fitting

best to request the installer bring a hybrid lnb when he or she rings the night before to confirm your appointment as it's not something they carry on the van as standard.