PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed

Robinsonrobbo
24-07-16, 13:40
Hi I've posted previously but unfortunately didn't really get much help, I'm totallying new to this and was given a zgemma by a friend of a friend but after reading on here and my own experience it doesn't seem very good with no support so I am wanting to upgrade asap.
I've got a sony 4k tv so was wanting a decent box as well.

I've got so many questions but if anyone can point me in the direction of a decent box as there seems to be so many out there.

I've got a sky 2 wire feed and have an externally hdd so can I plug that directly in to record ?.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

Larry-G
24-07-16, 16:27
Recommending a receiver is like recommending a car, while they all largely do the same thing what's rite for me may not be rite for you. So you need to give a little more detail about the kinds of things you want from the receiver and leave out talk about the zgemma here, even just mentioning them tends to get threads closed down.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Robinsonrobbo
24-07-16, 16:37
thanks for the reply, we watch a lot of tv as 3 children and would like to get as many hd channels as poss,somethnig ease of use and reliable. is it worth getting a motorised dish to receive the footy etc in hd. im assuming i can plug my external 1tb hdd in to a usb? as i said im a newbie at this. any advice really to point me in the right direction. budget of maybe £300.

cheers

Larry-G
24-07-16, 16:43
You won't get much in the way of HD content via the sky uk platform with any third party receiver these days due to their hardware pairing system in place for their own receivers. But if you can live with SD you should be fine. And yes pretty much all e2 Linux based receivers will allow you to use a external HDD as well as a internal one for that matter. I can't assist with 4K content as I have yet to invest in 4K yet my self (I barely even watch to these days as it is). Have a look at some of the Vu+ range of receivers but stay away from the really old ones like the original Duo / solo / uno or ultimo. Try something like a solo2 or one of its younger brothers. You could even look at some of the new extrend range but I'm not a fan my self so I can't help you there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Robinsonrobbo
24-07-16, 17:57
Thanks again it's the vu I've been looking at so may go for one of them .

obo110x
24-07-16, 18:07
I can recommend the Solo 2, small, takes a 2.5" Sata HDD and very fast. Paired with my LG 4K TV I get everything upscaled to 1080p. Bought from the sponsor with Vix already flashed an excellent purchase.

Robinsonrobbo
24-07-16, 19:09
Thanks again it's the vu I've been looking at so may go for one of them .

Robinsonrobbo
24-07-16, 19:13
I was lookong at the VU solo 4k would that upscale better?

Stanman
24-07-16, 20:56
No box will upscale as well as the TV and imho it's not all its cracked out to be. I have 4K tv and SD still looks crap with upscaling.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Robinsonrobbo
24-07-16, 21:36
Thanks for that .