PDA

View Full Version : File Permissions Read Only / Write

grantdavey91
17-07-16, 07:12
Hi, All.

I have a rather complicated barrier in my way of having read and write access to my external hard drive, which is plugged into my VU+ DUO2.

I have set up the server folder via ftp ( ftp://username : password@192.168.0.X (ftp://username:password@192.168.0.X) ) and I have enabled READ + WRITE for all users inc admin in system preferences.

But when I right click on the file in the finder/explorer and choose 'get info' (equivalent of properties for windows) it says 'you can only read'

However, here's the really confusing part, if I supposedly can only read, why is it I am able to delete and copy files from the FTP folder??

I am wanting basically to access my iTunes library via my VU box where my hard drive is plugged into.

I can access the files on the HDD via the VU on my mac, I can rename, change, copy or delete them, but I then get faced with the error

'The iTunes Library.itl file is locked, on a locked disk, or you do not have write permission for this file.'

I really am unsure as to whether this is an issue with the settings or file permissions on the VU or the MAC, so I do apologise if I have posted this in the wrong place, but I am at my wits end trying to find a solution to this;

I do have a windows machine too, and I set it up there, and it seems to all work on windows, but not on mac.

I have spent the past few days reading various forum posts and possible solutions to this but I am getting absolutely nowhere.

I have even tried running through all the settings on the VU box itself but it seems there is no settings on the VU for folder properties/settings or file permissions.

Telnet and FTP are both enabled; I can also SSH into the VU fine, and I can access the files on the VU from my mac, I can edit them, copy them and delete them, but I can't run iTunes as it is telling me I do not have the permissions!!

If anybody can help me out here, I would appreciate it a lot!

Many thanks