PDA

View Full Version : Best Linux Box to buy.

harty63
15-07-16, 11:54
Hello all, I am about to plunge in to the world of Linux, after using a spiderbox and a openbox v8.... i am not totally savvy with linux boxes but im willing to learn, i have about 150ish to spend,
i want to be able to watch one channel and record another, be able to put kodi on but not essential, be able to add a internal or external hard drive, all your help with this dilemma would be appreciated. thanks.

danlou
15-07-16, 12:08
If you can extend your budget to £169 go for the extrend et8500 for £169 from World of Satellite. The links are plastered all over this forum :)
I don't have one but if I was purchasing a new receiver that's the one I would go for. It has decent specs and reviews are positive. This receiver supports internal HDD.

Lower down your budget then entry-level twin-tuner receiver is Edison OS-Mini for £107 delivered - I have setup many of these boxes and can definitely recommend. It comes with built-in WiFi so may be useful to some. You will have to use USB pen or USB HDD for external recording.

harty63
15-07-16, 12:16
Hi Danlou, thanks for your reply, i have been offered a VU+ SOLO2 super fast twin tuner + 500GB HDD that is a year old for 130 is that a good price and a good box...

john doe
15-07-16, 12:20
Hi Danlou, thanks for your reply, i have been offered a VU+ SOLO2 super fast twin tuner + 500GB HDD that is a year old for 130 is that a good price and a good box...

snap it up mate. you wont be disappointed.

harty63
15-07-16, 13:22
Have just bought it, waiting for it to be delivered, bought it of flea bay so hope i have not been stung...... will be on asking loads of help questions so please be patient with me, thanks again...:)

danlou
15-07-16, 13:38
You have got a an amazing deal at that price - they cost around £200 new without any hard drive. Just make sure it's genuine. If there is more going send me the link :)

Stanman
15-07-16, 18:03
Have just bought it, waiting for it to be delivered, bought it of flea bay so hope i have not been stung...... will be on asking loads of help questions so please be patient with me, thanks again...:)
Be careful it's not a clone?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Andy_Hazza
15-07-16, 18:13

Flebay full of clones. Hope you have a genuine one or you are buggered!! We don't offer support for cloned receivers here and also ViX can't be run on cloned receivers! Hope you asked your questions n did your research before you bought it......

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

john doe
15-07-16, 18:22

oh dear me:( NOT Fleebay. ask the seller if its original or clone, if clone ask for a refund

harty63
16-07-16, 12:21
Well folks you were right, i checked on clones on google and yes it was a clone, but good news is the person i bought it off did not know either and have refunded my money(one lucky person)and they are trying to get in touch with the person who sold them it... good luck with that. i will definitely take more care next time.

so i will start again, anyone recommend a good linux box for me to start of with for about 150ish..... THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR HELP.

Andy_Hazza
16-07-16, 13:12
Could you stretch your budget to one of these >> http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/satellite-and-terrestrial/digital-receivers/vu-plus/VU-Plus-Solo-SE-V2-2x-DVB-S2 and you can have the full vuplus-kodi app running on it then. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Willmoore
16-07-16, 13:13
Lucky boy :D
Given your budget and requirements this would just about fit (no Kodi though) Comes in at just under £160 (assuming sat tuners and 320gb hdd) never used one but as WOS sell it I'm sure it's decent.
http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Technomate-Linux-HD-Receivers/Technomate-TM-Nano-SE-Plus

harty63
16-07-16, 14:28
Hi Andy i probably Could but the more i read about linux the more nervous i become about adding things like images and firmware...:confused: but need to make my mind up soon.

twol
16-07-16, 14:45
Hi Andy i probably Could but the more i read about linux the more nervous i become about adding things like images and firmware...:confused: but need to make my mind up soon.
Firmware? You only need the image and then run setup .... Plenty of guides to do all that, and also WoS will flash the image of choice for you, what could be simpler:)
I would go for the Xtrend ET8500 and buy a Kodi stick, better to choose products that are designed for their purpose... also as I keep reading in the forums there is no guarantee that Kodi will be always available on Vu+

Linux ..... was always a windows guy, now my main system is Ubuntu and have E2 receivers .... its like everything until you try it you don,t realise how easy it can be :)

harty63
16-07-16, 15:05
Twol, i already have a Android box but was thinking of putting all on one box, what i am needing is something i can use like i would my sly box as i'm going to cancel it as it's to expensive, like series link, watch and record another channel, i was looking at the ET8500 but don't seem to see much help on them at the moment with them being pretty new, most things i look at are in germam...:confused:

Willmoore
16-07-16, 15:43
Your overthinking it. Operation wise an Enigma2 box with Vix image will all work the same.

twol
16-07-16, 15:44
Have a look here http://www.world-of-satellite.com/forumdisplay.php?301-ViX-Team-Images-Guides-Here
on how to .......
ET8500 is just another E2 receiver that is setup like the rest.

"what i am needing is something i can use like i would my sly box as i'm going to cancel it as it's to expensive, like series link, watch and record another channel"
That's all possible on an E2 receiver :)