PDA

View Full Version : exfat WD book

grantdavey91
14-07-16, 17:29
Hi all.

Need some support please with my external HDD on VU Duo2

I have had my Duo2 for a little over a week now, I bought with a 1TB HDD built in, which I am using for my recording/timer purposes.

I already had a 3TB USB Western Digital 'My Book' external HDD

When I set up the box I installed the exfat plugin onto my box and then inserted my 3TB HDD, it found it immediately and I mounted it.

the HDD has lots of tv shows and movies on it and I was able to watch my movie files from it the past few days, however today it is not recognised

I went into the media browser and tried to change the location but it wasn't there, so i went into system setup storage devices and it was in there but did not have any info , said 'unavailable', so I tried to mount it but it came up 'mount failed'

I don;t want to 'initialise' the HDD because this formats it and I don't want to lose all my stuff

But i don't understand that it was working and now its not?

I unplugged the HDD and plugged it back in but it still doesn't want to work.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks.

ccs
14-07-16, 17:47
Is the exFat plugin still installed? I can't see why it wouldn't be, but "unavailable" is what you might see.

grantdavey91
14-07-16, 18:09
Is the exFat plugin still installed? I can't see why it wouldn't be, but "unavailable" is what you might see.

Hi, thanks for your reply, yes, it is still installed, should i try uninstalling and re-installing?

grantdavey91
14-07-16, 19:05
This is what comes up:

Im not sure why but on the above screenshot of mount manager i have 2 options for my external 3tb hdd, there is no partition on it as i have checked it in disk utility on my macbook; it lets me mount the 1st one and is 206 or so mb and has a list of files in it that i do not recognise :

anyway it wont let me mount the main hard drive where all my movies are stored.

it's like there's been a ghost that has changed some settings somewhere because as I said, it has been working over the last week or so and I have been able to playback the video files on it to my Vu box, but now it will not let me access or mount the drive.

I checked that I still had exfat driver installed from the plugins menu, it is, I uninstalled it, then restarted my box, I then re-downloaded it, and inserted the drive, but its the same result!!

pulling my hair out over this any help is appreciated.

many thanks.

ccs
14-07-16, 23:11
Sorry, I can't be any more help - I used a usb exfat drive a couple of days ago, but I wasn't confident enough to mount it "as required", so took an image backup, got it working ok to copy some files and then undid everything by reflashing.

grantdavey91
14-07-16, 23:23
Sorry, I can't be any more help - I used a usb exfat drive a couple of days ago, but I wasn't confident enough to mount it "as required", so took an image backup, got it working ok to copy some files and then undid everything by reflashing.

ok, not to worry, i've been racking my brain about it but i don't want to mess about with the box too much as i may risk breaking something else, i think i may just have to transfer everything from my ext hdd to another location so that i can then plug it back in and initialise it in the hope that it will work and mount itself; although i will need to unplug it again after initialisation to transfer all my movie files back on to it

it will be time consuming i suppose, but its the only other option i can think of, i just really hope it works !! :)

birdman
15-07-16, 00:43
Login to the box (telnet) and run these commands:

mkdir -p /mnt/tmp
mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt/tmp
mount -t exfat /dev/sdb2 /mnt/tmpand report the output here.

The first one is just to create a directory for the test mount and the last one is just in case it needs to be told about the file-system type (which it shouldn't, but that might be the issue).

grantdavey91
15-07-16, 20:47
Login to the box (telnet) and run these commands:

mkdir -p /mnt/tmp
mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt/tmp
mount -t exfat /dev/sdb2 /mnt/tmpand report the output here.

The first one is just to create a directory for the test mount and the last one is just in case it needs to be told about the file-system type (which it shouldn't, but that might be the issue).

hi thanks for your help and reply...here is the result by typing the above :

vuduo2 login: root
Password:
root@vuduo2:~# mkdir -p /mnt/tmp
root@vuduo2:~# mount /dev/dsb2 /mnt/tmp
FUSE exfat 1.1.0
ERROR: failed to open '/dev/dsb2': No such file or directory.
mount: mounting /dev/dsb2 on /mnt/tmp failed: No such file or directory
root@vuduo2:~# mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt/tmp
FUSE exfat 1.1.0
root@vuduo2:~# mount -t exfat /dev/sdb2 /mnt/tmp
FUSE exfat 1.1.0
WARN: volume was not unmounted cleanly.
fuse: mountpoint is not empty
fuse: if you are sure this is safe, use the 'nonempty' mount option
mount: mounting /dev/sdb2 on /mnt/tmp failed: No such device
root@vuduo2:~#

Ford1
15-07-16, 21:05
your mount command is wrong?
mount /dev/sdb2
You have got /mount/dsb2 ???

ccs
15-07-16, 21:13
... but he did correct it.

grantdavey91
15-07-16, 22:08
your mount command is wrong?
mount /dev/sdb2
You have got /mount/dsb2 ???

yes, sorry i mis typed the command first off, but underneath i did retype it.

birdman
16-07-16, 01:53
root@vuduo2:~# mkdir -p /mnt/tmp
root@vuduo2:~# mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt/tmp
FUSE exfat 1.1.0So it was happy to mount the file system - and recognized it as exfat.

root@vuduo2:~# mount -t exfat /dev/sdb2 /mnt/tmp
FUSE exfat 1.1.0
WARN: volume was not unmounted cleanly.
fuse: mountpoint is not empty
fuse: if you are sure this is safe, use the 'nonempty' mount option
mount: mounting /dev/sdb2 on /mnt/tmp failed: No such device
root@vuduo2:~#That failed because /mnt/tmp already had a file system mounted on it. I'd meant to say only run this if the previous mount failed.

Anyway - this shows that the disk can be seen and that the OS is happy to mount it on the command line, so the problem now is to discover why it isn't happening via the Vix menus

birdman
16-07-16, 02:23
I've just tested on my own box with an exfat partition.
It wasn't recognized at first, but then I remembered I didn't have I didn't have enigma2-plugin-drivers-exfat installed, so I installed that. Still not recognized.
So I then rebooted the box and all is now fine. The file-system is automatically mounted as /media/cf (it happens to be an old CompactFlash card I had lying around - actually an IBM microdrive...).

Do you leave your box permanently running? if so, try rebooting it.

grantdavey91
16-07-16, 19:52
I've just tested on my own box with an exfat partition.
It wasn't recognized at first, but then I remembered I didn't have I didn't have enigma2-plugin-drivers-exfat installed, so I installed that. Still not recognized.
So I then rebooted the box and all is now fine. The file-system is automatically mounted as /media/cf (it happens to be an old CompactFlash card I had lying around - actually an IBM microdrive...).

Do you leave your box permanently running? if so, try rebooting it.

thanks for your reply, much appreciated.

I'm not sure how I did it, but it seems to be re-mounted all by itself!!?

The only thing I have done is updated my skin, I was using 'Slyk1' skin and last night I updated to V4 Slyk and its now re-mounted itself and can now access it like before!

Thank you for your help