PDA

View Full Version : Intrested in the Xtrend ET8500 - will kodi ever be released for it?

irishbiker
03-07-16, 08:25
Hi All

As the title says with the new discount on the ET8500 I'm wondering if full fat Kodi will ever be released for it? Or is it the old drivers released issue.

Andy_Hazza
03-07-16, 08:32
If you want Kodi you'll need one of these; Vu+ SoloSE v2, Vu+ Solo2, Vu+ Duo2 or the Vu+ Solo4K.
Won't be released for any of the Xtrends, not this current generation of boxes anyhow, but doubt it would happen with the new range of boxes either. Mut@nt HD2400 was supposed to have an all singing and all dancing Kodi, but never happened.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twol
03-07-16, 09:21
@Irishbiker ... Andy is absolute correct ... but nothing to do with older drivers, the ET7x00 and ET8500 drivers were updated again last week ... it was just never a Kodi receiver

irishbiker
03-07-16, 09:35
Thanks for the replies guys, then pardon my ignorance but my train of thought is:

Kodi can run on linux boxes, we know it works on Wetek and Vu+ units for example. If we have the latest drivers (assuming they are open source) then can it be ported to Xtrend? Looking at the ET8500 it looks like it would make a nice all singing and dancing media hub.

twol
03-07-16, 10:39
Thanks for the replies guys, then pardon my ignorance but my train of thought is:

Kodi can run on linux boxes, we know it works on Wetek and Vu+ units for example. If we have the latest drivers (assuming they are open source) then can it be ported to Xtrend? Looking at the ET8500 it looks like it would make a nice all singing and dancing media hub.
Don't have a VU+ so don't know Kodi on that ... but on Wetek you really have one or the other ...eg you boot Enigma and then switch to Kodi.... going back from Kodi is like an E2 restart... they don't run at the same time:)

Rob van der Does
03-07-16, 10:42
Well, it is related to drivers. Kodi requires GLS-drivers, and for the Xtrend they are not available AFAIK.
And drivers are not 'Open source'; they are the manufacturers secret (and bound to remain so, due to the licences from the SoC-manufacturers).

irishbiker
03-07-16, 10:55
Shame I really liked the look of the unit and your new price would have been very tempting.

Andy_Hazza
03-07-16, 11:01
Don't let the lack of Kodi put you off buying the Xtrend ET8500 though. It is a great price n looks super cool. Just buy an Amazon Fire TV or the new Apple TV and side load Kodi on to it. [emoji4]

Rob van der Does
03-07-16, 11:05
IMHO it is tempting. It is tempting me :)
I doubt you can find a cheaper box in this league.

And for what it's worth: I have no interest whatsoever in Kodi on any STB. It's a plugin, and doesn't integrate in normal STB usage.
As I've always said: if you want a mediaplayer (Kodi or otherwise) buy one (especially as they are not expensive these days and there is a lot of choice). If you want a receiver, buy an E2-box.

twol
03-07-16, 11:30
IMHO it is tempting. It is tempting me :)
I doubt you can find a cheaper box in this league.

And for what it's worth: I have no interest whatsoever in Kodi on any STB. It's a plugin, and doesn't integrate in normal STB usage.
As I've always said: if you want a mediaplayer (Kodi or otherwise) buy one (especially as they are not expensive these days and there is a lot of choice). If you want a receiver, buy an E2-box.
Rob ..... and for you as a ß tester, its a superb receiver with the multi boot feature and a couple of lines of additional code to be able to flash either image from a couch flash :):)

Rob van der Does
03-07-16, 11:48
I never use multiboot, especially not as tester.

twol
03-07-16, 15:57
I never use multiboot, especially not as tester.

its not using the multiboot plugin, but through the built in facility on the ET8500 just offers you the ability to have 2 pure vanilla images to boot from so you can keep one "working" and one "test" image.... apart from selecting OS1 or OS2 its no different from other receivers.
I always try to keep one working image and the "latest" image, by flipping between OS1/OS2 when I flash an image.
I certainly find it useful when testing new builds.

Rob van der Does
03-07-16, 16:18
Ah, OK, didn't know that.

irishbiker
03-07-16, 16:47
Don't let the lack of Kodi put you off buying the Xtrend ET8500 though. It is a great price n looks super cool. Just buy an Amazon Fire TV or the new Apple TV and side load Kodi on to it. [emoji4]

:)
I already have a Xtrend ET10K and a rooted FTV box for Kodi. It just would be nice to combine the both in one nice media hub. I really like my ET10K box and having the transcoding option is really handy for streaming around the house. I am tempted by the 8500 but I'll stick with what I have till I get something that replaces both in one box.

Rob van der Does
03-07-16, 16:52
I won't count on that ;)

I've been waiting for my TV to make coffee, but in the end I gave up :eek:

twol
03-07-16, 16:56
:)
I already have a Xtrend ET10K and a rooted FTV box for Kodi. It just would be nice to combine the both in one nice media hub. I really like my ET10K box and having the transcoding option is really handy for streaming around the house. I am tempted by the 8500 but I'll stick with what I have till I get something that replaces both in one box.

I don't use transcoding but if the ET8500 had been given it (I guess a decision by Xtrend not to kill the ET10000), the ET8500 would have been a real super receiver ... which for me it is (I sold both my ET8000 and ET10000 receivers)

rossi2000
03-07-16, 19:32
Twol have you got the mods for imagemanager, backup manager for the et8500 multi boot please?

twol
03-07-16, 20:40
Imagemanager, yes (settings backup.is,the same)... although I am sure someone with a bit more python knowledge could clean the code up significantly. It just modifies the call to betacentauri,s ofgwrite flashtool.
Apart from the code, I have no test in it for whether the ET8500 is setup for single or multi-boot, I just ask whether you want to flash OS1 or OS2 ... and don,t think there is a way of testing for,it.... although it possibly doesn,t matter :)
Will post it to you tomorrow.... watching the France/Iceland game!