PDA

View Full Version : Need help deciding which receiver

plodge
28-06-16, 23:31
I have read all the specs, I have limited knowledge but for 3 days now I have been trying to decide what to buy, I need to buy a new receiver and after bits of advice here and there, for my budget I have narrowed it down to Xtrend ET8500 or the Vu+ Solo SE V2. I have both a cable and a satellite feed but having used an Icecrypt 3500 for the last 4 years I wanted to try using both.

Can I get some more experienced opinions as to which way to go, Thanks in advance.

Sicilian
29-06-16, 04:32
Between the Solo SE and ET8500 I'd got with the ET8500.

ET8500 can mix and match up to 4 tuner modules. Fantastic front display, internal HDD facility. Solo SE can only have up to 1x twin tuner module of either satellite or hybird cable / terrestrial, no display on solo se and no internal HDD facility.

twol
29-06-16, 06:24
I have had the ET8500 since its release in January 2015 and for me have been perfect boxes, not only with a super LCD screen but multiboot is a super way of ensuring you always have a working image.
At the current WoS price it's a no brainer.

Andy_Hazza
29-06-16, 07:10
I'd recommend the Xtrend ET8500. Looks fantastic and a steal at that price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twol
29-06-16, 08:52
... and if you go for the ET8500 and need any help then ask, I probably know this box like the back of my hand, warts and all:)

imish
29-06-16, 08:57
... and if you go for the ET8500 and need any help then ask, I probably know this box like the back of my hand, warts and all:)

interesting form factor - can you (and other owners) share a pic of how it looks in your living room.

twol
29-06-16, 09:08
interesting form factor - can you (and other owners) share a pic of how it looks in your living room.
I think that has been the issue for this receiver, it looks totally different from other receivers - so you either love it or hate it, from a technology point of view it is excellent, as are the design points to access the hdd or get into the box (10 secs). Most receivers have a lot of empty space in the box ... this doesn,t
There are plenty of pics on the internet, but basically from the front it's a small black box with the LCD occcupying 12 of the 18cm width.
On mine, I run with a Rossi skin that shows the channel information, channel log and temperature (Yes, I know I can look outside:) ) but LCD is set to dim after 60 secs to black, so often you just see a black shape.

plodge
29-06-16, 09:14
If I went for the ET8500 this (http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Xtrend-ET8500-COMBO-1x-DVB-S2-1x-DVB-C-T-T2?filter_name=et8500&filter_category_id=63&filter_sub_category=true) is the one I would go for can someone tell me if the cable tuner would be a twin tuner (not sure if I asked that right but I only have one cable from my dish and one cable feed which wanted to watch one channel and record another and was led to believe a twin tuner would handle this on the cable side not the satellite). thanks for the replys by the way I thought someone would have gone with the Vu+ as I see very little said on forums about the 8500

twol
29-06-16, 09:28
If I went for the ET8500 this (http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Xtrend-ET8500-COMBO-1x-DVB-S2-1x-DVB-C-T-T2?filter_name=et8500&filter_category_id=63&filter_sub_category=true) is the one I would go for can someone tell me if the cable tuner would be a twin tuner. thanks for the replys by the way I thought someone would have gone with the Vu+ as I see very little said on forums about the 8500

As said, people either love the form factor or hate it :):) also most references you will see are in German, as this box has mainly been sold in Continental Europe, where Xtrend has been stronger..
I build my own (ViX) image and my office receiver has been (& still is) used as a test box, so has had all sorts of horrible things done to it (like dropping power) and (touch wood) is still perfect.
Drivers are also current, having been updated again recently.
Each tuner card ( and is the same tuner card as the ET7500) has one input ..... e.g. need two DVB-S2 sat inputs -> 2 cards

plodge
29-06-16, 09:44
As said, people either love the form factor or hate it :):) also most references you will see are in German, as this box has mainly been sold in Continental Europe, where Xtrend has been stronger..
I build my own (ViX) image and my office receiver has been (& still is) used as a test box, so has had all sorts of horrible things done to it (like dropping power) and (touch wood) is still perfect.
Drivers are also current, having been updated again recently.
Each tuner card ( and is the same tuner card as the ET7500) has one input ..... e.g. need two DVB-S2 sat inputs -> 2 cards

I was only counting the satellite input as a bonus/backup I want to primarily use the cable input but with only one cable I wanted to be able to as I said watch one channel and record another , something which I was told the Vu+ mentioned could do out of the box?

twol
29-06-16, 10:19
So not into cable, but my understanding is that the vu+ solose v2 has a twin tuner, which has one input but built in splitter giving signal to both tuners.
With non dual twin tuner cards, you need a signal splitter to provide multiple feeds into separate cards.

plodge
29-06-16, 10:27
That was my understanding of the Vu+ too, the question is, is the xtrend the same? if not then that's the decision made as this is a deal breaker.

twol
29-06-16, 11:33
That was my understanding of the Vu+ too, the question is, is the xtrend the same? if not then that's the decision made as this is a deal breaker.

The xtrend has single input/tuner so you need a signal splitter about 5 -6 pounds sterling on Amazon for your cable input to be split into 2 cards

plodge
29-06-16, 12:11
Doesn't splitting the feed weaken it? I'm not sure I understand totally how that works and I will probably end up buying the wrong type of splitter unless you can pm a link or post one, it seems easier to admit defeat and go for the Vu+. Thanks again.

Andy_Hazza
29-06-16, 12:18
I wouldn't use a splitter. I would loopthrough with cable.

plodge
29-06-16, 12:32
This all seems to be adding weight to going with the Vu+, I need things simple with minimal mess with wires and boxes.

I thought the Vu+ boxes were very good, apart from the extra tuner options (which I don't need) and the LCD screen which again I don't need, I don't understand what multiboot does for me so I would probably not use it, I have a 1TB external HDD I dont mind using but I use Kodi on the Nvidia Sheild so no real need to record stuff.

Are there some glaring differences between the two boxes apart from what I have mentioned why everyone is saying Xtrend? as spec for spec CPU and RAM they look very similar?

I know I will need to buy an extra tuner if I want to use the satellite feed which takes the Vu+ to £20 more but without the experience you guys possess the Xtrend seems like taking a hand grenade to a blocked toilet.

Sicilian
29-06-16, 13:03
Both receivers have the same setup procedure.

plodge
29-06-16, 13:13
Both receivers have the same setup procedure.

I thought the twin Tuner on the Vu+ handled splitting the signal on the Vu+ meaning I didn't need to "loop through" (which I have no idea how to do by the way, but sounds like I have the LNB/Cable input connected to the "RF in" then run a cable from that tuners "RF out" to the next tuners "RF In" or is my assumption too simple?)

Sorry for all the questions I just wish there was a beginners guide from start to finish.

twol
29-06-16, 13:26
As much as I think that the Xtrend is the better receiver, for what you are describing - simplicity, your experience level, no aggro, then the Vu+ meets your needs at the current time. ... especially as it would allow you to play with Kodi on an E2 box if you wanted....
You can always upgrade later when you have more experience :)

plodge
29-06-16, 13:41
As much as I think that the Xtrend is the better receiver, for what you are describing - simplicity, your experience level, no aggro, then the Vu+ meets your needs at the current time. ... especially as it would allow you to play with Kodi on an E2 box if you wanted....
You can always upgrade later when you have more experience :)

The Nvidia sheild covers all my Kodi needs at the minute so no need to play around with an inferior/workaround version for want of a better expression, I do like the look of the ET8500 but the need to loop through worries me a bit as I have no idea what it entails or how much knowledge it requires to get right. I have been using an Icecrypt S3500HDCCI for the past 4 years and managed to set that up and keep it working so I have some limited experience but just need to gain an understanding in more layman's terms.

DaMacFunkin
29-06-16, 13:45
Buy the extrend with 2 single cable tuners.
Plug your cable feed into tuner 1 (you may need a f plug to rf adaptor).
Loop through from tuner 1 to tuner 2 with the loop through cable included in the box.
Simples.

plodge
29-06-16, 13:48
Buy the extrend with 2 single cable tuners.
Plug your cable feed into tuner 1 (you may need a f plug to rf adaptor).
Loop through from tuner 1 to tuner 2 with the loop through cable included in the box.
Simples.

There's a loop through cable included in the Box? that makes life easy am sure I can manage that.

twol
29-06-16, 13:59
There's a loop through cable included in the Box? that makes life easy am sure I can manage that.

Yes, have 2 unused somewhere in the house

plodge
29-06-16, 14:39
Thanks for all the advice guys I have just placed the order here and went for this one, Xtrend ET8500 2x DVBC/T/T2 + 1x DVB-S2 COMBO Linux Enigma 2 Linux HD Digital Receiver PVR Ready, I got the extra Sat tuner as it may take me a little while to get my cable set up the way I want and as I already have a satellite setup this should tide me over.

twol
29-06-16, 16:12
Wish you greatviewing in the future:)

plodge
29-06-16, 16:16
Haha thanks you know I'll be back soon, it gets delivered tomorrow so my guess is Friday :D

Andy_Hazza
29-06-16, 16:22
Loopthrough is just short rf in n out cables. So basically main cable into Tuner A and short cables from Tuner A to Tuner B etc. Couldn't be any simpler. [emoji4]