PDA

View Full Version : [ET9x00] Creating Hardlink to Timeshift Failed - Error Message

Flyingpig
28-06-16, 17:43
Hello All,

I have recently encounted an issue with the message popping up saying the following

'Creating Hardlink to Timeshift file failed!
The Filesystem on your timeshift device does not support hardlinks.
Make sure it is formatted in EXT2 or EXT3!

{Erno 2} No such file or directory'

This has only just started since I came back from holiday. I have reflashed with and without setting restore and cant figure out what is causing it. My HDD in my ET900 which is used for timeshift is ext4 R/W - my USB which is not the location for timeshift is Vfat R/W.

I have double checked my timeshift settings and it is definately set to record to my HDD after 4 secs.

Thanks,

FP.

Rob van der Does
28-06-16, 17:46
I have double checked my timeshift settings and it is definately set to record to my HDD after 4 secs.
How did you do that?

Flyingpig
28-06-16, 18:34
Went to settings > Timeshift ?

Timeshift Location = /media/hdd/timeshift
Automatically start timeshift after = 4 seconds.

Thanks.

Rob van der Does
28-06-16, 19:36
Now please have a look in ViX-mountmanager if HDD is mounted as HDD.

Flyingpig
28-06-16, 21:33
Yes, in Vix Mount Manager

Hard Disk WDC5000AACS-0
Device /dev/sda1
Mount: /media/HDD

USB:Cruzer Blade
Device /dev/sdb1
Mount /media/usb

THanks - hope this helps.

Rob van der Does
29-06-16, 04:59
OK, can you telnet "blkid" and post the result here please?

Also please see what the result is if you set timeshift to "media/hdd/timeshift"

Flyingpig
29-06-16, 15:37
Hello,

Restuls of blkid

/dev/sda1: UUID="f2195053-5707-488e-9ad6-9d886112b33b" TYPE="ext3"
/dev/sdb1: UUID="069B-3BAF" TYPE="vfat" PARTUUID="0003ede6-01"
/dev/ubi0_0: UUID="b1ea2774-7f04-4ced-a8a5-c39eac8b102d" TYPE="ubifs"

It is already set to /media/hdd/timeshift

Thanks,

Rob van der Does
29-06-16, 15:40
How come the HDD is in Ext3? Didn't you initialize it using the STB?

Flyingpig
29-06-16, 16:00
I havent changed anything on the STB - it has worked for years, always updated, and this HDD has been in it since I got it 4 years ago. Nothing has changed with the HDD. It used to work so if something has changed the STB has changed it somehow? All of the recordings that have been on it since I got it and update are all still there so it has never been reformatted?

What is EXT3 and does it need to be something different, if so, how can I change it back?

Thanks,

FP.

Rob van der Does
29-06-16, 16:06
EXT3 or 4 don't make that much difference, but being in EXT3 shows the HDD has not been initialized by the STB. And that's not wise, as the formatting by the STB optimizes the HDD fot STB-usage.
Not sure if this is anyway related to your issue though, but I would advise anyway to re-initialize the HDD. But indeed: that will delete all the contents on the HDD.

Flyingpig
29-06-16, 16:16
Okay thanks..... I will copy across my STB HDD to my NAS and then copy it back once re-initialized it in EXT4

However I dont think that is what is causing the issue with my hard links issue and timeshift.

I have turned off Timeshift for the time being and it the message doesnt pop up now, but I want timeshift on. This has only started in the last 4 weeks or so. The message also pops up at the start of each new programme or when I turn over after 4 seconds (obvioulsy).

Thanks,

FP.

Rob van der Does
29-06-16, 16:19
Nope, I don't think this will resolve the issue either.
One more try, just to be sure: please disconnect the USB-stick, reboot and see if the timeshift issue is the same.

Flyingpig
29-06-16, 16:21
I am just looking in Blue Button>VIX>Mount Manager>

and it shows HDD as EXT4

Flyingpig
29-06-16, 16:22
One more try, just to be sure: please disconnect the USB-stick, reboot and see if the timeshift issue is the same.

Will do right now.

THanks for your help.....

Flyingpig
29-06-16, 16:26

Removed USB, rebooted STB, reset timehisft to on, and still get the same message.

''Creating Hardlink to timeshift file failed!

{Erno2} no such file or directory''

Rob van der Does
29-06-16, 16:41
I am just looking in Blue Button>VIX>Mount Manager>
and it shows HDD as EXT4
Well, that looks OK then.

Removed USB, rebooted STB, reset timehisft to on, and still get the same message.

''Creating Hardlink to timeshift file failed!

{Erno2} no such file or directory''
As expected, but good to try.
It might be an idea to run a check on your HDD. Are you familiar with that?

Flyingpig
29-06-16, 16:46
No, dont know how to do that....How do I do it?

Flyingpig
29-06-16, 17:01
I hate IT and Electronice..... I tried to run the HDD check from teh setup menu. it said it could as HDD was busy and need to unmount couldnd unmount.

I recognised his is due to timeshift being turned on. Went to convert EXT3 to EXT4 and not I dont get the message??

What is going on.,.,??

Haha...

birdman
29-06-16, 17:37
Yes, in Vix Mount Manager

Hard Disk WDC5000AACS-0
Device /dev/sda1
Mount: /media/HDD

Does it really say /media/HDD?? If so, then /media/hdd/timeshift will not be on that disk, as the file-system is case-sensitive.

Rob van der Does
29-06-16, 17:41
I hate IT and Electronice..... I tried to run the HDD check from teh setup menu. it said it could as HDD was busy and need to unmount couldnd unmount.

I recognised his is due to timeshift being turned on. Went to convert EXT3 to EXT4 and not I dont get the message??

What is going on.,.,??

Haha...
An option to do that is:
1- Temporarily set the USB-stick as HDD in mountmanager
2- Reboot
3- Carry out the check via the menu (make sure you select the correct drive).
4- Reset the correct mounts in mountmanager
5- Reboot.

And indeed, as Birdman said: make sure the location is 100% correct. You can make a new setting via the GUI to make sure it is correct.

casuk
29-06-16, 19:24
I got the same message after a reboot (et10k) but nothing has changed for me

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk