PDA

View Full Version : Always one update available

gadget-man
26-06-16, 19:57
Just updated my box to 4.1.014 as it offered the update in the corner of the screen.

But after that was done it then offered me one package to update, I have applied this update multiple times but when it loads back up it says the same again, one package available. I can't view what the changes are because it's empty.

How do I get round this as it does not want to apply it, and I want to get rid of the update icon on screen.

Thanks.

iwg
26-06-16, 20:22
Already answered on the thread about -013 upgrade at http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?52170-Once-updated-to-4-1-013-system-keeps-notifing-me-off-a-new-update&p=407414#post407414

Hope this helps.

gadget-man
26-06-16, 20:45
Many thanks will have a read.

Cheers

abu baniaz
27-06-16, 00:59
We ask people to report using the method in link below. We now have several threads saying the same thing.
which do we answer?

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?33155-ALL-MEMBERS-PLEASE-READ!-New-method-of-posting-in-ViX-Support-Section (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?33155-ALL-MEMBERS-PLEASE-READ!-New-method-of-posting-in-ViX-Support-Section)!

gadget-man
27-06-16, 18:35
Ok thanks Abu I did not realise that.

Thanks for highlighting this.

Cheers

abu baniaz
28-06-16, 15:55
4.1 version 015 has been released. If you had the bootlogo issue, it won't go away. Best to create a settings backup, flash newest image, restore settings and plugins

See here
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?47588-Flashing-Settings-backup-and-Restores

iwg
28-06-16, 17:51
Hi Abu - thanks for advice. Before doing flash and restore, thought I'd try online upgrade from -014 to -015 AFTER having previously done manual repairs suggested by Rob earlier for EPG and bootlogo issues. This did work cleanly but it won't obviously solve the green dot issues in itself, like a reflash would. So this is just for anyone who has repaired -013 and -014 manually - online works in this case.

gadget-man
28-06-16, 18:45
So if I flash via usb pen drive 015 and then restore my settings all will be fine ? no more update icon.

abu baniaz
28-06-16, 18:53
So if I flash via usb pen drive 015 and then restore my settings all will be fine ? no more update icon.

Yes, correct. You can flash using Image Manager or USB stick.

Make sure you create a settings backup first. This is automatic if using Image Manager on latest images.

gadget-man
28-06-16, 18:56
Ok thanks Abu I'll give that a go soon.

Cheers

gadget-man
28-06-16, 19:16
Well that was easy, I never used the image manager before now, downloaded 015 and restored it, then restored my settings. No more update icon.

Only thing I noticed was at one point I saw an animated vix icon while it was loading up which I've never seen before but after restoring my settings it's back to the animated circular dots.

I assume there may be a setting for this ?

What is the difference between flashing via image manager / usb and doing an online update via setup and software update.

Thanks

abu baniaz
28-06-16, 19:23
Image Manager/USB= same effect apart from the automated settings backup and ease.

Online update. This updates the files on the receiver. Sometimes a file cannot be overwritten/installed because of a clash (hence the constant update indication).

gadget-man
28-06-16, 19:54
Ok great thanks for all your help.

Is there a loading logo setting or was that just because it was reflashing etc.

iwg
29-06-16, 21:09
Hi Gadget Man
The first method you query (Image Manager or USB flash) is a raw device overwrite of the device's onboard operating system as a physical block level. Either from the image downloaded via Image Manager or via an image you have downloaded via a PC type device and transferred via a USB stick plugged into the box. This will ALWAYS result in basically a cold install of the verified and tested base image released by Vix. They have options to restore both Settings and Plugins after that - Settings virttally always restore (eg your screen position or timers settings), Plugins usually restore if the Plugin itself is still supported and does not in itself need a fresh install/upgrade. So basically, your root partition is fully overwritten then some restores.
An online update does not do this cold install and settings restore - it merely takes the 80 odd "packages" that form the delivered image and assess which of them need updated - they are then updated on a logical file by file basis using the Linux toolset "opkg". Sometimes this can result in conflicts that stop certain packages been cleanly installed - hence the "plethoria" of recent queries where flash-install has been advocated. Unless familiar with Linux and opkg packaging, I'd go down the wait and re-flash option. Otherwise, it should be possible to de-install offending package and re-install its newest version. Worked for me on -013 and -014. (After some advice from Rob van der Does on here - thx)

iwg
29-06-16, 21:12
Gadget - think as you reflashed you got the original boot logo - the one you say is "animated" but your newer settings will have set a different one like the circular dots after restore