PDA

View Full Version : Couple of Issues....

Lurch
25-06-16, 11:33
When I logged in again I was asked to renew my password (think that's the first time this has happened on a forum) which I now realise is an attempt by the admins to increase security (it doesn't btw). I have also discovered that mentioning this means this thread will be locked.

This is at odds with the fact that HTTPS doesn't work, you either want to increase security, or you don't. You really should enable HTTPS and keep it updated and working as your 30 day password change policy will mean that most people will use simple passwords, and probably reuse existing ones rather than a long complex unique one so even though I have seen it mentioned that "it doesn't matter, it's only a satellite forum" the passwords being securely transmitted is important regardless. As a rule of thumb if you have to enter a username and password on a page or you have a link to a page with a login form on it then those pages should be HTTPS.

As for the actual reason I was actually going to start this thread, I was asked to agree to the forum rules and in the rules there some links to posts on the forum, which I can't view until I agree to the rules so a catch 22 situation there. I either need to agree to the rules without actually fully reading everything or I do it properly and get stuck not being able to agree to something I am not allowed to look at.

twol
25-06-16, 11:37
This is a bit like the recent referendum, you are either in or out .... this is not a negotiable situation, you either agree and participate or you dont particpate:)

Lurch
25-06-16, 11:57
This is a bit like the recent referendum, you are either in or out .... this is not a negotiable situation, you either agree and participate or you dont particpate:)

That was my point, you cannot agree to something you know nothing about and are not allowed to look at.

duoduo
25-06-16, 12:12
Pmsl.. Guys please don't start getting all political. This has been brought up before and the stance is you either agree or don't use the forum buddy

bellejt
25-06-16, 12:18
the discussion about renewall password is ages old and was closed.Just use the same password again and you will be alright.No need to change and rules are rules.I did not read them all to.Just keep in mind no CS talking and posting in right section.

ronand
25-06-16, 14:02
This is not a democracy here (or any other forum) - you either agree to & respect the rules and the way the forum is run or else don't use the forum. If it was up to forum members to decide the rules it would be a complete mess. The issue of passwords needing changing has been brought up several times and I don't think anyone will change the policy for you either. You obviously don't participate a lot if this is the first time in 3 years you needed to change the password. And you really are nitpicking - only 2 items in the forum rules have links - one of them is the instructions on how to post a link (you dont need to accept anything here) and the other are the trading rules - they only need to be looked at if you are actually going to trade on the forum. You really need to contribute more instead of whinging.

Lurch
25-06-16, 14:39
With the general attitude of '**** it, that'll do' I don't really want to contribute tbh. I don't know what you want me to contribute, I came here as a potential customer of the sponsor, but if this is the attitude then I'd rather go elsewhere. Whether it is nitpicking or not it doesn't matter, I raised an issue and it could either be looked at and noted, or completely ignored. I don't much care whether you think I am whinging or not.

Sicilian
26-06-16, 05:49
Enabling https is going to take a lot of work for which I won't have time for at until early Sept, I've got too much going on right now.

Password expiry was set to 180 days a while back.

I've changed the registration rules to not include the two links that you are referring too. No one has ever pointed out about those two links, thank you :)

Willmoore
26-06-16, 08:40
If the op wants to post something on a forum, he's entitled too. He wasn't rude or disrespectful to anyone - unlike some of the responses.

redrobin
08-03-17, 11:30
Just had to change my password which i've done number of times before, but now the entry boxes aren't aligning with the prompts