PDA

View Full Version : Internal + external drives seem to have been wiped

clancger
20-06-16, 15:00
Hi,

Overnight it looks like someone went to my box and very tidily erased the contents of the internal SATA and external USB disks.

On the internal drive, only the movies folder (empty) is still there, and in the external drive, its as if someone formatted it for me.

I had been having issues with my network connection over the weekend, and was getting some errors related to that, but I'n stumped now as to what could have happened.
I was last one to switch off last night and first to touch this morning.

Any ideas please?

Bangord30
21-06-16, 08:35
Hmmm. FTPd to your hdd to double check? Got any backed up images then to restore with then no?

bellejt
21-06-16, 09:00
Maybe mounts have gone.Restart box completely and perhaps your mounts are back.If not try to remound but never initialise.

clancger
23-06-16, 23:56
Hmmm. FTPd to your hdd to double check? Got any backed up images then to restore with then no?

Well it seems to have wiped itself again yesterday of it's own accord. I didnt see it happen, but definitely the box reset itself in some fundamental manner, so much so that eg the Samba networking was no longer installed, and although my Inadyn settings were still there, the utility itself was inactive.
The internal HDD was wiped again but for the empty Movies folder and the Timeshift folder.

I did make sure logging was enabled (too late) after the crash the other day, and I see there were a load of error logs created, though I wont be able to go through them for another few days.

clancger
23-06-16, 23:59
Maybe mounts have gone.Restart box completely and perhaps your mounts are back.If not try to remound but never initialise.

I was trying to mount a pendrive fairly late the other night to transfer some recordings to, and my initial thought was that I'd initialised by accident, but now that it wiped itself again, I'm thinking I'm innocent after all

Ford1
24-06-16, 00:21
Now I may be wide of the make here, but do use a (cough) line? I have heard of some unscrupulous people from another forum accessing peoples box's remotely via the said line and doing all sorts to there box's.

I am in now way casting aspersions as to how you use your equipment, but I though id offer it as a possibility?

clancger
24-06-16, 01:17
Now I may be wide of the make here, but do use a (cough) line? I have heard of some unscrupulous people from another forum accessing peoples box's remotely via the said line and doing all sorts to there box's.

I am in now way casting aspersions as to how you use your equipment, but I though id offer it as a possibility?

Honestly, and without knowing there might be such a risk of contagion..that's what is top of my suspicion list..

If that were the case, how would I recognise having been hacked, and prevent happening again?

If I remember rightly, I had my box ip in the DMZ, and the Webif (non standard) port forwarded to external

Rob van der Does
24-06-16, 02:58
If I remember rightly, I had my box ip in the DMZ, and the Webif (non standard) port forwarded to external
So you are willingly and knowingly taking a huge risk!
And not only for your STB; did you check your bank account?

imish
24-06-16, 03:37

that is a big no no....

did you have the box password protected - atleast that gives some security

judge
24-06-16, 07:08

You are wide off the mark.
A line nothing to do with it, the users setup is the problem.

Trial
24-06-16, 08:00
Hi,

do you know what DMZ means? It means Demilitarized Zone and is almost the same as leaving the door to you home open all the time. Portforwarding, if you know what you do, is OK in my opinion but DMZ is a no go and should only used when you have a good protected server.

ciao

chuf
24-06-16, 09:44
Hi,

do you know what DMZ means? It means Demilitarized Zone and is almost the same as leaving the door to you home open all the time. Portforwarding, if you know what you do, is OK in my opinion but DMZ is a no go and should only used when you have a good protected server.

ciao

Get a decent router setup a vlan Job done!

:cool:

clancger
24-06-16, 15:51
Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated, quite a bit to ponder.

The box is connected via a new Archer C7 router, so I'll be looking into a Vlan, and I was also thinking about using a VPN on this for external connections.
Either way, right now, the horse has already bolted.

I did have a password on the box, and luckily the bank seems to be unaffected.

In fairness, the setup I have has not changed much since I got my 1st duo about 6 yrs ago, so I guess there is a big element of complacency, and while I did set it up this way, I wasn't conscious of the risk of being attacked via the box.

imish
26-06-16, 21:14
Dont need a VLAN, VPN would be the best way to connect to the home network from outside.

Again - port forwarding not recommended - the streams are not protected at all and your box is advertized on the internet like a pile of s.... to flies..