PDA

View Full Version : vu 4k or vu solo 2

pspmixer
14-06-16, 17:21
currently have a vu solo 2 box connected to my new 4k tv noticed the box doesnt display full 1080 as its pixelated a little on iptv hd channels and some sd channels show it too
so i am considering buying a vu 4k box would it be worth upgrading to this from my vu solo 2
if so why would it display a better picture
or would people recommend to stink with current vu solo 2 box

let me hear you thoughts and recommendatins

thanks

john doe
14-06-16, 17:25
iptv will always show pixelated no matter which box you get as it feed through internet. theres a couple of issues with the 4k, also no uk 4k channels at moment, although a powerful box. I've had my eyes on one for sometime, but decided not worth the money at this moment in time. the solo2 is a top box and never had any issues with mine (touch wood):)

waiting for the new batch of receivers to come out in next couple of months

twol
14-06-16, 17:39
In your current setup, Vu is over priced and overkill (in my view :) ), as John Doe says wait for the "budget 4K boxes" which are available from this month end and should at least 4K wise match what the Vu box offers.

DaMacFunkin
14-06-16, 17:44
In your current setup, Vu is over priced and overkill (in my view :) ), as John Doe says wait for the "budget 4K boxes" which are available from this month end and should at least 4K wise match what the Vu box offers.

I have to say I have my Solo4k set to output everything at 2160p and most channels look great, it will be interesting to see how well the new budget boxes upscale 1080i, that may be one corner that gets cut.

twol
14-06-16, 18:10
I have to say I have my Solo4k set to output everything at 2160p and most channels look great, it will be interesting to see how well the new budget boxes upscale 1080i, that may be one corner that gets cut.

Why? They are using the more advanced Brahma chip that Broadcom offers compared to the one currently used by Vu+
Everything is on the SoC, agree they need to get the drivers correct, but Vu+ vs Mut@nt who would you put your money on for correct drivers? :)

pspmixer
14-06-16, 18:38
Thanks everyone
What you mean new boxes are these new clones or something totally new

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ashley69
14-06-16, 18:55
No clones on here. They are new boxes coming out soon. http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?52017-VU-announces-2-new-4k-boxes-at-the-Anga

twol
14-06-16, 19:02
Thanks everyone
What you mean new boxes are these new clones or something totally new

Clones - No - I think its too early for them - too much work to copy:) , as much as I vent on Vu+, they have led the way, have been innovative with fba tuners , but have probably learnt a lot from their mistakes.
But there are some other current suppliers (Mut@nt, Gigablue, perhaps Xtrend) that will release 4K boxes shortly - hopefully they will have learnt from Vu (going later means they have a better SoC) and deliver good 4K receivers at a reasonable price :)

Andy_Hazza
14-06-16, 19:24
Once you've tried n used FBC tuners you'll not want to go back to the crappy traditional tuners. [emoji4]

pspmixer
14-06-16, 21:21
FBC tuner what is that
What's difference
So would people not recommend the solo 4K wait for ulitmo 4K

twol
14-06-16, 21:54
Once you've tried n used FBC tuners you'll not want to go back to the crappy traditional tuners. [emoji4]

So with fbc tuners I have better sensitivity and ability to pick up and lock on marginal channels than with current tuners?:)
If not then the ability to record more channels at the same time is just a waste of money for me:)
I can handle all my requirements with current tuner technologies.

maxal
14-06-16, 22:05
Hi, I am new here I have a [deleted] but I hear people talking about the VU box saying how good they are but I don't know which box to buy so what do people recommend, I only have Sky feed no cable tv

Huevos
14-06-16, 23:12
If I had to choose between 2x FBC tuners or 4x conventional I'd go with the conventional. FBC only comes into its own if it is connected to a fixed Unicable LNB pointed at one satellite.

I've got both boxes. Both work well. If you have a 4K TV and a Solo2 the Solo2 is going to upscale to 1080P and the TV is going to upscale again to 2180.
With the Solo 4K the upscaling will all be done in the Solo 4K in one step and not on the TV for the second step. Even if the TV's embedded upscale is good (which generally it is not) having a 2 step process is never a good thing for picture quality. In this respect the Solo 4K is going to win on picture quality when played on a 4K TV even if the source is only SD.

pspmixer
15-06-16, 06:59
If I had to choose between 2x FBC tuners or 4x conventional I'd go with the conventional. FBC only comes into its own if it is connected to a fixed Unicable LNB pointed at one satellite.

I've got both boxes. Both work well. If you have a 4K TV and a Solo2 the Solo2 is going to upscale to 1080P and the TV is going to upscale again to 2180.
With the Solo 4K the upscaling will all be done in the Solo 4K in one step and not on the TV for the second step. Even if the TV's embedded upscale is good (which generally it is not) having a 2 step process is never a good thing for picture quality. In this respect the Solo 4K is going to win on picture quality when played on a 4K TV even if the source is only SD.
Thanks mate for that
Would you be able to a short video of the comparison in picture quality between the two of you have both

Rob van der Does
15-06-16, 07:37
Well, everything depends on the quality.
You can also use the AutoResolution plugin so leave all upscaling to the TV

I must say that I'm surprised to see how good the upscaler of my 4k-TV actually works. SD & HD give a brilliant picture on the TV (and no: I'm not saying that SD is just as good as HD, of course it isn't). This is using 'conventional' boxes, set to output 1080p (and sometimes comparing with the use of AR, but no noticeable difference).

twol
15-06-16, 08:28
Well, everything depends on the quality.
You can also use the AutoResolution plugin so leave all upscaling to the TV

I must say that I'm surprised to see how good the upscaler of my 4k-TV actually works. SD & HD give a brilliant picture on the TV (and no: I'm not saying that SD is just as good as HD, of course it isn't). This is using 'conventional' boxes, set to output 1080p (and sometimes comparing with the use of AR, but no noticeable difference).

Ah, but it's an LG OLED :) not sure all 4K TV's will be as good:) .... now if BBC/Das Erste/ZDF changed to 4K and I could afford a LG OLED then I might think more about 4K

Huevos
15-06-16, 10:43
now if BBC/Das Erste/ZDF changed to 4K and I could afford a LG OLED then I might think more about 4KI can't see BBC upgrading to 4K any time soon. They're too mean with bandwidth already. BBC HD used to be 10 Mb/sec, now BBC One HD is around 3.5Mb/sec. So mean with bandwidth that they even stopped broadcasting BBC 3.

Blu-ray
15-06-16, 10:45
Why? They are using the more advanced Brahma chip that Broadcom offers compared to the one currently used by Vu+
Everything is on the SoC, agree they need to get the drivers correct, but Vu+ vs Mut@nt who would you put your money on for correct drivers? :)

Mut@nt

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DaMacFunkin
15-06-16, 11:01
Mmm didn't mutant launch with a big kodi fanfare? Upto now I think VU+ have the most reliable version, when prodded they can get it right you know...

Huevos
15-06-16, 11:18
Upto now I think VU+ have the most reliable version, when prodded they can get it right you know...Doesn't compile under up-to-date GCC. Vu will need to sort this out, or it will get dropped.

twol
15-06-16, 13:30
I can't see BBC upgrading to 4K any time soon. They're too mean with bandwidth already. BBC HD used to be 10 Mb/sec, now BBC One HD is around 3.5Mb/sec. So mean with bandwidth that they even stopped broadcasting BBC 3.

You are so right :)
I wonder how much the BBC spend with Astra to get their transponders beam restricted to UK zone (which for some reason seems to stretch down to the Canary Islands - guess BBC holiday homes:) ) - probably enough to have saved BBC 3:)

pspmixer
16-06-16, 18:21
What date will the new vu boxes come out

twol
16-06-16, 18:43
What date will the new vu boxes come out

I don,t think they have said, but probably 4Q2016, whereas others will deliver from end June ... guess Vu+ went all out on their current product and forgot their traditional fan base :)

Huevos
16-06-16, 18:44
Probably Christmas... under my tree.

Ashley69
16-06-16, 18:56
Probably Christmas... under my tree.

Only if you have been a good boy this year.:angel: