PDA

View Full Version : Vu+ Duo2 Boot Time

chuf
14-06-16, 13:17
Hi All

Is it just me but the boot time for my box takes nearly 5 minuets from power off to watching a tv show, are they all the same?

Chuf

john doe
14-06-16, 13:29
should be faster. my solo takes about a minute to minute and half.

chuf
14-06-16, 13:35
should be faster. my solo takes about a minute to minute and half.

Well that's what got me thinking as I have a VU+ Solo SE as well and that boots in under a minuet.............

Any ideas what might be slowing it down?:confused:

tappari
14-06-16, 13:37
2 minutes and 12 seconds with 4 nfs mounts (FSTAB) and 3 cifs mounts (AUTOFS) connected. Duo2. Those cifs nas drives will take some time to wake up since they are upstairs behind powerline adapters. :)

john doe
14-06-16, 13:45
Well that's what got me thinking as I have a VU+ Solo SE as well and that boots in under a minuet.............

Any ideas what might be slowing it down?:confused:

have you recently updated? if so try a restart

bellejt
14-06-16, 14:38
duo2 openvix and softcam oscam : 1 min 50 sec and viewing channels.

gerinemo
14-06-16, 21:19
VU+Duo2 with vix
1:50

Rob van der Does
14-06-16, 21:46
My DUO2 also takes around 2 minutes to boot.
Be aware that plugins, external mounts (especially when not available) and (lots of) timers/autotimers have a huge influence on booting time.
Nevertheless: DUO2 is the slowest of all my boxes.

Clabs
15-06-16, 21:12
My DUO2 also takes around 2 minutes to boot.
Be aware that plugins, external mounts (especially when not available) and (lots of) timers/autotimers have a huge influence on booting time.
Nevertheless: DUO2 is the slowest of all my boxes.

Thanks for that Rob

My Duo2 was taking a similar long time to boot but only had a chance to look at this today and your post made me mindful of the impact of unavailable network devices . Turned out to be a network mount for a device that is no longer connected to my network. I removed that and back to 95 second boot times.

MPEGMAN
20-06-16, 05:50
My Duo2 takes in excess of 20 mins to reboot...I also thought that it could be trying to resolve non-existant network locations so I went through and deleted them all (Is there a 'bulk' way of doing this as it took me hours to do individually)
After all that effort the boot time has reduced from about 20 to 15 mins..
It does seem to be a rather flaky part of the system...Very often I add a new location and everything seems to have completed OK but when I try and access the location I get the message 'Directory /media/autofs/..... does not exist'
Could this be a clue..?
Any suggestions..

Mark

Rob van der Does
20-06-16, 06:38
20 mins is far too long, as is 15 mins.
Having deleted my network mounts boottime is back to just over 1 minute.
The best way to add mounts that are not always available is using the networkbrowser and to add them via the autofs-protocol. But even then it takes time to look for them when they are not available at boottime. This is normal Linux behaviour.

To manually delete servers you can look in the files etc/enigma2/automounts.xml, etc/fstab & etc/auto.network. And given your excessive boottime, there may be still entries in there or they might be corrupted.

Anyway: your box set-up is not OK, far from it. I would simply reflash, without using restore.

chuf
21-06-16, 08:19
I have three mounts so will try and remove them when I get 5 and see if it makes any difference :thumbsup:

chuf
21-06-16, 08:26
Just found my issue in etc/fstab found 3 old mounts that I changed the ip address :eek:

Rob van der Does
21-06-16, 09:06
Good. So all fixed now? Boottime is....?

chuf
21-06-16, 09:18
Good. So all fixed now? Boottime is....?

From poweroff to picture on the screen is an amazing...............................1 minuet 44 seconds Whey!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:zoom:

Tnks for the help :thumbsup:

MPEGMAN
22-06-16, 02:47
Hi Rob

Thanks for the info (I don't know how to refer back to previous messages...Is there a guide somewhere..?)

I tried deleting spurious entries from \\VUDUO2\Root\etc\enigma2\automounts.xml but they just re-appeared again after a network scan..

\\VUDUO2\Root\etc\auto.network however has over 2000 entries in it...Should there be..?
Is this a logfile or a control file...Is it OK to delete entries from it..?

Mark

Rob van der Does
22-06-16, 05:40
Thanks for the info (I don't know how to refer back to previous messages...Is there a guide somewhere..?)
Just hit the 'reply with quote' button

I tried deleting spurious entries from \\VUDUO2\Root\etc\enigma2\automounts.xml but they just re-appeared again after a network scan..
Make sure to stop E2 (telnet 'init 4') before manually editiing files. As all the information is kept in RAM the files will be overwritten again with the original contents if E2 is alive.

\\VUDUO2\Root\etc\auto.network however has over 2000 entries in it...Should there be..?
Is this a logfile or a control file...Is it OK to delete entries from it..?

That most certainly is not OK. No idea how all that got in there, but you'd better delete them all. Best do it manually (after stopping E2).
But: this gives me the idea your image has been corrupted; so I would suggest to flash without restoring anything at all (although you might want to save your timers).

judge
22-06-16, 08:47
Pretty sure both these files can be deleted when E2 is sleeping & new blank ones will be created on waking E2. Save a lot of manual work.

chuf
22-06-16, 13:11
Pretty sure both these files can be deleted when E2 is sleeping & new blank ones will be created on waking E2. Save a lot of manual work.

Just deleted mine in etc/fstab using E2 did it live no problems all good :thumbsup:

MPEGMAN
24-07-16, 18:24
Just hit the 'reply with quote' button

Make sure to stop E2 (telnet 'init 4') before manually editiing files. As all the information is kept in RAM the files will be overwritten again with the original contents if E2 is alive.

That most certainly is not OK. No idea how all that got in there, but you'd better delete them all. Best do it manually (after stopping E2).
But: this gives me the idea your image has been corrupted; so I would suggest to flash without restoring anything at all (although you might want to save your timers).

Hi Rob

Stopping E2 meant I lost access to the root directory on the VU box...What do you mean when you say "(telnet 'init 4')"..

I eventually managed to delete the DSNs you specified and my boot time dropped from 20mins to 25secs...Success...BUT
I've lost access to two of my NAS boxes

They are both Dlink DNS-320...Slightly different models..
There is another thread where a gentleman has the same problem with these boxes and the solution was a re-flash...
It's a good 2-3 years since I've done this...Is it still a case of downloading to a flash-drive, sticking it in the USB port on the VU and then turning it off and on again or is there a new whizzo (Easier) way of doing a re-flash..
Also can I, and if so how, save timers,auto-timers, channel settings and favourites

Mark

Rob van der Does
24-07-16, 19:24
"init 4" does nothing more then stopping E2. Telnet & FTP with the box remain active, as they are dealt with by Linux and have nothing to do with E2.

"init 3' starts E2 again.

For contact between STB & NAS you should use the network browser, to add a mount.

MPEGMAN
24-07-16, 20:00
Apologies...I assumed E2 was the operating system...Is there a guide somewhere on the site explaining the use of Telnet and/or FTP...At the moment I'm accessing the files via Windows 7...

What is STB..?

I've tried every which way to add these NAS locations including via network browser and always get the same result...It seems to have added them successfully but when I try and access them using the file manager I get the message 'Directory /media/autofs/..... does not exist'...

Having downloaded the PDF 'How to flash a VU DUO 2' my version of Vix (Apollo 014) doesn't seem to be available to download...
Can you suggest a suitable version..?

abu baniaz
24-07-16, 20:06
STB= Set top box, ie satellite receiver.

You can download most recent image from openvix.co.uk

Be advised 4.1 image line appears to be dead. The 4.2 image will be next, no restores from previous images will not be allowed. So may be worth waiting.

MPEGMAN
24-07-16, 20:56
Can I, and if so how, save timers,auto-timers, channel settings and favourites before I start

Rob van der Does
24-07-16, 22:18
Can I, and if so how, save timers,auto-timers, channel settings and favourites before I start
Yes: copy them from etc/enigma 2

When adding them to your newly flashed box: first stop E2 again.

And no: the Operating System is Linux, the application that is running is Enigma2.