PDA

View Full Version : No stereo output from AV output jack

reflux
13-06-16, 16:25
Hi got my edision os-mini recently but can't for the life of me figure out why Stereo output does not work from the AV output jack on the back of the box.

I have tried directly connecting headphones to it (which work fine on any other device in stereo) have also tried the special edision AV output cable attached to pc speakers and heaphones with no luck, sound always comes out on right hand side only.

Checked through setup>system>a/v settings and tried playing around with AAC and downmix settings with no luck, also tried hitting audio button but stereo mode is already selected. Stereo works fine through hdmi to tv stereos speakers, just not headphones or separate speakers to the AV output jack.

Any setting I may have missed?

adm
13-06-16, 17:10
The AV socket is likely to be carrying left and right audio plus video and requires a plug with 4 contacts. If you plug in a standard headphone 3 contract 3.5mm plug you are unlikely to make proper contact.

Looking at the manual the 3.5mm plug that fits into the socket has 4 electrical contacts and is supplied with a lead that has 3 phono plugs on the other end. Which two if the phono plugs on this lead did you use to try and get left and right audio? Yellow should be the video output.

Wait for other advice but you may need something like this if you are trying to connect a 3 contact headphone plug into a 4 contact socket.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-headsets-separate-headphone-microphone/dp/B004SP0WAQ

2nd edit
There doesn't seem to be a 'standard' in the way 4 way 3.5mm sockets are wired. Some of the bigger players Apple/Sony/Panasonic/LG all seem to allocate the 4 contracts in a different way on AV sockets. With this mind it may be safer to use the 3.5mm to phono plug that comes with the box.

reflux
13-06-16, 17:42
The AV socket is likely to be carrying left and right audio plus video and requires a plug with 4 contacts. If you plug in a standard headphone 3 contract 3.5mm plug you are unlikely to make proper contact.

Looking at the manual the 3.5mm plug that fits into the socket has 4 electrical contacts and is supplied with a lead that has 3 phono plugs on the other end. Which two if the phono plugs on this lead did you use to try and get left and right audio? Yellow should be the video output.

Wait for other advice but you may need something like this if you are trying to connect a 3 contact headphone plug into a 4 contact socket.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/StarTech-com-headsets-separate-headphone-microphone/dp/B004SP0WAQ

2nd edit
There doesn't seem to be a 'standard' in the way 4 way 3.5mm sockets are wired. Some of the bigger players Apple/Sony/Panasonic/LG all seem to allocate the 4 contracts in a different way on AV sockets. With this mind it may be safer to use the 3.5mm to phono plug that comes with the box.

thanks much appreciated for the support it was just me being silly, the dongle was not fully inserted right in, less then 1mm poking out and stereo gets cut off !

Yes it was not work straight with headphones connected the dongle has to be 100% used (red/white for audio) then it works fine, just needs to be pushed firmly into the socket.

all working fine now cheers