PDA

View Full Version : Signal strength

djmadman
06-06-16, 12:51
Hi guys,

Got some issues here on my quad with regards to signal strength.

Its all kind of started since upgrading the image.

When i go to signal finder the strength fluctuates between 79% and 40% with no stable strength.
Yet when on a channel the strength averages at 50% and keeps dropping to 0%.

My satellite setup has not changed. Dish has not moved. I have tried 3 different LNB's 2 of which were brand new. This didnt solve the issue. Cabling is fine. I have checked that end to end. My motor is fine also.

So im stuck now. Its really annoying trying to watch tv.

Could my onboard tuners be on their way out? Or could it be the software?

Any help will be most appreciated.

Cheers guys

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk

Willmoore
06-06-16, 13:20
To rule out the software flash back to the last image.

djmadman
06-06-16, 13:26
Ill try that when i get home tonight.

To be honest i didnt think it could or eould have been the image lol

twol
06-06-16, 13:29
Hi guys,

Got some issues here on my quad with regards to signal strength.

Its all kind of started since upgrading the image.

When i go to signal finder the strength fluctuates between 79% and 40% with no stable strength.
Yet when on a channel the strength averages at 50% and keeps dropping to 0%.

My satellite setup has not changed. Dish has not moved. I have tried 3 different LNB's 2 of which were brand new. This didnt solve the issue. Cabling is fine. I have checked that end to end. My motor is fine also.

So im stuck now. Its really annoying trying to watch tv.

Could my onboard tuners be on their way out? Or could it be the software?

Any help will be most appreciated.

Cheers guys

So naive Q - do you actually receive a picture/audio or are you just worried about SNR?
If its really a signal issue, I would suggest that your dish has moved slightly ....... could be the original setup was not that good and it has moved causing the signal fluctuation - I believe that the weather has been bad in the UK over last 10 days??

djmadman
06-06-16, 13:32
So naive Q - do you actually receive a picture/audio or are you just worried about SNR?
If its really a signal issue, I would suggest that your dish has moved slightly ....... could be the original setup was not that good and it has moved causing the signal fluctuation - I believe that the weather has been bad in the UK over last 10 days??
I dont believe the question was vague at all. But for the benefit of your reply,

Yes i do get picture and audio yet every 10 seconds the picture drops and tune failed.

As originally posted nothing has changed in the alignment or setup of the dish and i have checked that with my signal meter.

Cheers for your reply

djmadman
06-06-16, 13:37
Also just to add, i have had this setup for 6+ years and have never had this issue. Weather has not been too bad recently. And my setup has withstood 80+mph winds and never deviated at all

twol
06-06-16, 15:23
Also just to add, i have had this setup for 6+ years and have never had this issue. Weather has not been too bad recently. And my setup has withstood 80+mph winds and never deviated at all

Water seepage into the cables?
Any chance of running a (new) cable between LNB and receiver ..... at least it would rule out this possibility which after 6 1/2 years is possible.

djmadman
06-06-16, 15:40
I can try.

All cables were protectes with cable covers and the built in covers on the lnbs. But worth a shot.

Before i spend money im going to revert back to my old vix image and see if that improves.

twol
06-06-16, 15:45
I can try.

All cables were protectes with cable covers and the built in covers on the lnbs. But worth a shot.

Before i spend money im going to revert back to my old vix image and see if that improves.

Old image worth trying ... you never know but drivers not updated for last 6 months

djmadman
06-06-16, 16:01
Its a possibility. It was working faultlessly before the upgrade. Fingers crossed thats what it is. Never usually have any issues with vix images tho [emoji17]

djmadman
07-06-16, 08:48
I have reverted back to openvix 3.2 image. Tv viewing has been stable for the past hour. No tune failed etc.

Signal strength at a constant 60% so need some fine tweeking on the lnb.

Clearly openvix 4 was unstable on the box.

If any of the devs are there, do we happen to know why? Or was this just a freak issue on my box.

Cheers all

Rob van der Does
07-06-16, 09:27
Please don't even look at the signal strength; it tells you literally nothing.
Just use the SNR; if that drops there is something wrong.

twol
07-06-16, 09:29
At 60% signal strength (assuming UK based) that is pretty good for me but UK, I would expect much better.
I am really marginal and so depending on weather/solar flares/aliens etc etc, it can be OK or bad.
With drivers not changing for 6 months, and signal levels changing significantly over the last week (for me), just wonder if you need to sort out your dish alignment - really cannot think of anything significant that has changed over last few months..... but would be interesting to know which version 3.2 you were/are running - it might fall into that 6 months timeframe.

djmadman
07-06-16, 11:01
Using the very last 3.2 release.

I will check the dish again. But before the image update and me tinkering with different lnbs i was getting 85-96% signal strength. The setup was that spot on. Obviously wind/weather/obstructions/aliens all pay a part it decreased signal. But on a non
windy day i will get high 90%.

Will check this weekend. But right now im happy. Been on solid since just after 8 no glitches no drop in signal