PDA

View Full Version : Waking from deep standby to record - tuning to channel instead of idling in standby

meherenow
30-05-16, 08:43
Phew, I hope I managed to describe this right in the title.

I'm running the latest stable OpenVix but I've noticed this problem since I got my ET10000 a few weeks ago.

I exchanged my Mutant HD2400 for this box because of issues getting all the tuners to work at the same time, however on that box when I set auto timers up, leaving "standard" checked so that the box would revert to the last state, I was able to have the box wake from deep standby, record the programme, then return to deep standby, all the while the box would be in standby mode and not tuned to a channel unless I did so myself manually.

On the ET10000 though, the box will tune to whatever channel was on last and then record the timer. I was also finding that even with "standard" checked, and it was definitely coming from deep standby, nothing would happen after a recording finished - the box would just remained tuned to the last channel viewed. I've had to specifically change the timers to go to deep standby when recording finished.

I'm basically looking for the same as happened on the Mutant box - to wake from deep standby to (normal) standby when recording and then switch back to deep standby when using standard (so the 3 minute warning doesn't show up if I am watching something, again this never happened on the Mutant, it was just happy to not switch the box off and let me continue watching uninterrupted).

I'm not sure if I've maybe set something up differently with this box to cause this. The only thing I can think of is the EPG refresh plugin is somehow causing the box to think it didn't come out of deep standby, but I don't have it set on any special wake timer, only to search during a time when the box is switched on by other means.

The waking to a tuned channel is my main annoyance I have to say though, I'd rather it woke to standby as the Mutant box did.

Is there something obvious I'm missing?

Cheers in advance.

Andy_Hazza
30-05-16, 08:49
To record from deep standby you need to setup power timers.
Also I have a Mut@nt HD2400 and no issues with all 4 tuners.
What is your setup? Satellite only? Cable only? Or both satellite and cable?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

meherenow
30-05-16, 09:11
I have 2 x sat and 2 x cable tuners.

My big problem with the HD2400 was when recording from the 2 sat tuners, watching 1 of the cable tuners and then either recording from the second cable tuner or watching it in PiP - this caused picture breakup and glitching on this final hybrid to be tuned in, no matter what configuration I had the tuners in - and it only seemed to affect this cable/hybrid tuner. I had Stef from WOS getting me to swap them out all roads. Eventually after sending the box in to them I was told that Mut@nt themselves have stated it may be a driver issue. For what I am aware, there was no problem with the actual tuners, only the socket it was plugged into on the board, socket B when all 3 other tuners were in use. The tuners worked fine independently of each other and both exhibited the issue when swapped in and out of socket B.

Anyway, back to my new issue - I don't have any power timers setup, except for the autotimers to record a programme - the box wakes from deep standby no problem, only it wakes and tunes into the last viewed channel. The programme records just fine. The box will only return to deep standby when I specify this in the autotimer settings for that particular programme. If I set it to standard then the box just finishes the recording and stays tuned to the last watched channel as it does all through the recording process.

I'm just sure that when I had the HD2400 it did all this as well but just woke to standby (instead of tuning to the last viewed channel), recorded the programme and then returned to deep standby when using the standard method (i.e. returning to the last state before recording - my box is mostly on deep standby when I am not watching it). I didn't have any special power timers on that box either.

Rob van der Does
30-05-16, 09:18
No powertimer is required for a recording (from deep or whatever). If the box is in deep, it will awake in time (to standby) to make the recording. If in the timer setup 'after event' has been set to 'auto' the box will revert to the state it was in before the recording was made. In the latter case, if you happen to be watching live or recorded TV in the mean time, a question will arise like 'a finished timer want to shut down your box; do you want to do that?'. If you're not using the box (and no other recording is active) it will go deep silently.
I use this all the time on all my boxes and never have any issues with that.

ccs
30-05-16, 09:35
My ET10k works fine going from deep standby to record (in standby) and back to deep standby. No powertimers.
I have "after event" set to "go to deep standby" for all autotimers (you can set it as the default), and a Birdman patch to stop the closing down prompt when watching a recording.

http://birdman.dynalias.org/OpenVix/

meherenow
30-05-16, 09:45
Hmm, something is wrong for me then, because the ET10k ALWAYS wakes from deep standby to record and then tunes into the last watched channel. I have never noticed it recording from standby, it definitely tunes to the last channel viewed.

I didn't think you needed power timers set to record from deep standby, quite poor advice from Andy_Hazza there...

And with "auto" set for the timers it never reverts to deep standby, I have to manually set this, as ccs does in the previous post.

Could this be EPG Refresh related I wonder? There must be something that is causing the box to tune to a channel even though I want it to go from deep standby > standby when recording.

EPG Refresh is the only plugin I have running that I think could cause this - it wants to tune to the cable preview channel using an invisible PiP to get the EPG data. What settings should I use for this to not do this unless the box is actually manually tuned to a channel?

I'll disable EPG Refresh and do some testing on that basis...

edit: also I have EPG Import running, the options looked ok in that though but I will disable that too.

edit again: by "standard" in the timer settings in my first post I meant "auto"

Rob van der Does
30-05-16, 10:03
Of course any use of the box (like the 2 you mentioned, also think about automated backups or stream-clients), will influence the behaviour. But you know the times for which those actions are set.
For EPG-import/refresh/Cross & backups I do set a powertimer to wake up the box, then to execute those actions and again a powertimer for going deep.

But anyhow: if the box awakes from deep for a recording and doesn't go to standby, there is something wrong. If you can't find anything obvious, I would advise to flash the box without restoring anything, make a basic setup (only services/servicelists & softcam), setup a number of timers ( I would advise 'Auto' for after event, not for 'deep') and see how you go.

ccs
30-05-16, 10:10
I don't manually set autotimers to go to deep standby, I've set a one off default value for all autotimers to go to deep standby.

I have my ET10k wake up to a specific channel rather than the last one tuned, but I don't think that is relevant.

When waking from deep standby, my box switches "full on" for about 5 seconds with a picture on the tv via hdmi, before dropping back to standby.

Maybe hdmi CEC is getting involved?

meherenow
30-05-16, 10:41
All good advice guys.

I'm going to delete the EPG Refresh and Import first and set up a quickie 10 min timer from CBBC or suchlike. As you say Rob, the times involved for those plugins (I think its around 17:00 - 22:00, can't check just now, my kids are enjoying some bank holiday sunshine by playing Minecraft...) shouldn't affect the record timers, especially this early in the day (first noticed this recording Quincy lol, usually on around 9am-ish).

Maybe I'll just trash all my existing timers too before I go for the flash.

I have HDMI CEC disabled so can rule that out.

I was/am going to setup power timers as you mention Rob, to automate the EPG stuff in the middle of the night, but I really need to get this deep standby/recording quirk sorted first obviously.

Rob van der Does
30-05-16, 10:49
I have my ET10k wake up to a specific channel rather than the last one tuned, but I don't think that is relevant.
Same here, should be just fine

When waking from deep standby, my box switches "full on" for about 5 seconds with a picture on the tv via hdmi, before dropping back to standby.
That's indeed the way it should work.

meherenow
30-05-16, 11:06
OK, success.

I got rid of EPG Refresh (I didn't remove CrossEPG as this is what sets up EPG Import is that right?)

This fixed it - box comes out of standby, tunes for 5 seconds and reverts to standby, timer is recording just now from standby, I set it to auto so I imagine after the record it will go back to deep standby, got a few minutes to wait to check this.

So just need to figure out what the best settings are for EPG Refresh so it doesn't override this. What do you guys reckon? A power timer to take care of this in the middle of the night. It would seem that the EPG Refresh is trying to do its business every time the box boots?

edit: yes, back to deep standby so clearly my issue is with EPG Refresh. I'll have a fiddle with the settings when I get a chance later.

Thanks for the advice Rob and ccs.

birdman
30-05-16, 12:26
Hmm, something is wrong for me then, because the ET10k ALWAYS wakes from deep standby to record and then tunes into the last watched channel. I have never noticed it recording from standby, it definitely tunes to the last channel viewed.All boxes do that. They are then supposed to go into standby if they woke up for a recording. But this requires the hardware to set a flag saying the wake-up was from a timer, not a keypress.
The Miraclebox MBTwin (what I have) fails to set this if it has been in Deep Standby for any length of time (the FP clock runs fast, so it wakes early too). Perhaps the ET10000 has the same problem?
I have repeating PowerTimers set to put the box to Standby (every hour) and DeepStandby (every 30mins - only if in Standby) to get around this. It's a reasonable workaround (for me).

Edit: Posted before I got to the end of the thread...

Mind you - I can't see why EPG Refresh should stop a box going to Standby. But if it doesn't go to Standby that would explain why the box doesn't shiutdown at the end (the RecordTimer expects it to be in Standby, so if it isn't it assumes you've done something so wont shutdown).

Bangord30
30-05-16, 13:15
Just do a zap timer to a preview channel and box will come out, update and go back to sleep itself after 3 mins

Rob van der Does
30-05-16, 16:06
EPG-refresh has two settings around standby; you can play around with them to see if they make any difference.
Anyway: the way I do it (power-on timer --> EPG-refresh --> XMLTV-import --> Cross OpenTV --> Settingsbckup power-off timer) always worked and works fine.

meherenow
30-05-16, 18:41
EPG-refresh has two settings around standby; you can play around with them to see if they make any difference.
Anyway: the way I do it (power-on timer --> EPG-refresh --> XMLTV-import --> Cross OpenTV --> Settingsbckup power-off timer) always worked and works fine.

Thanks Rob, I'll try that out.

Joe_90
03-06-16, 14:07
I have the same issue with the Miraclebox Twin and it never goes into standby after booting from deep, either to do a recording or on a daily PowerTimer which is set to specifically boot from deep into standby to perform CrossEPG and ABM on a daily basis. I know the PowerTimer code in the egami and ATV images has specific workarounds for the MB Twin. I don't have any plug-ins or utilities on this receiver - just using stock ViX image.

@birdman - I know we've batted this issue about on another thread but my receiver does this exact same thing.

birdman
03-06-16, 14:34
@birdman - I know we've batted this issue about on another thread but my receiver does this exact same thing.Well, at least you've now mentioned "never" in this context. :)

Joe_90
03-06-16, 14:36
Har har :D

meherenow
03-06-16, 22:35
Ach, it's doing it again! Just powering on to record and staying on the last channel viewed!?

I disabled the CrossEPG timer as well so there should be nothing interfering with it, but something is obviously making it "stick" on instead of going to standby after the 5 secs or so...

I suppose I'm going to have to flash afresh and troubleshoot from there because it's kind of annoying.

Allyboy
29-06-16, 11:09
I use openatv on ET10000 and have this problem of not going back to deep standby after recordings I had a miraclebox box before and that went to deep standby no problem have messed with all settings and never fixes it it'll work if you actually set manual timer with go to deep standby but if you have another timer set to start straight after that one that seems to mess it up to. For someone who doesn't like to waste electric and have the box be on all day it's very annoying.

Rob van der Does
29-06-16, 11:34
Wow; one sentence consisting of 75 words without even a comma in it. I'm very sorry, but that's impossible for me to read.

ccs
29-06-16, 11:44
My ET10k goes into deep standby after a timer/multiple timers without any problems.

If you don't use timeshift, this might help....

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?48033-Unable-to-go-into-deep-standby-after-a-recording&p=382929&viewfull=1#post382929

Allyboy
29-06-16, 22:06
I don't use timeshift I don't understand this problem has to be something with the box I also have a Zgemma box and had a miraclebox without this problem. Also have this box around a year now and many image upgrades but problem always remains.