PDA

View Full Version : [ET10x00] Timeshift buffer

adm
28-05-16, 10:22
How is the time-shift buffer meant to work?

Currently I have the time-shift settings set to automatically start time-shift after 5 seconds.

I assumed that on a channel change the time-shift buffer would be enabled after 5 seconds and would have recorded up-to x hours of the channel being watched allowing a rewind at any point to the start of the buffer, or to a point limited by the maximum size of the buffer. On other (non-Enigma 2) I've owned boxes the buffer size has been a maximum of 2 or 3 hours.

What appears to be happening on my box (ET 10K) is that the buffer is reset every time a new program starts. This means, say, when watching a film for 90 minutes and then missing the last 5 minutes the end of the film cannot be seen in time-shift by simply rewinding if the next program has already started. The start of the buffer only contains content from the point where the program changed.

I'm aware that if I had pressed pause then the time-shift would have entered a different mode in that it will have recorded everything onward irrespective of a program change.

On a related issue, and just a small annoyance.

If I watch a channel in time-shift and then change channels a menu box appears saying that "You seem to be in time-shift. Do you want to leave time-shift?" If I select the option "Yes, but don't save time-shift as a movie" the menu box ALWAYS appears for the second time with the same question and I have to select the 'Don't save' option again. Often, but not every time, this is followed by a dialogue "time-shift saved".
Just in case it's relevant, I have 4 tuners - 2 are for UK Freeview terrestrial TV and 2 for UK Freesat satellite TV - could the time-shift be duplicated because of the 2 different reception methods, each with its own bouquet?

psykix
28-05-16, 10:27
Yes, I observe the same behaviour and it has been discussed before. No idea why it doesn't just keep timeshifting the channel, as opposed to the programme.

On your other point, I have timeshift set to don't save. I've never had reason to save the timeshift.

adm
28-05-16, 11:17
On your other point, I have timeshift set to don't save. I've never had reason to save the timeshift.

I've just changed the option from 'ask user' to 'don't save'

I get the screen asking if I want to leave time-shift but this time with only the options 'yes' and 'no' but on pressing yes the screen STILL reappears for the second time. It's the second appearance of the menu screen that is the (minor) problem.

psykix
28-05-16, 11:34
I have it set to No and Don't Save.

I have no need for a warning, and no need to save the timeshift to a file.

abu baniaz
28-05-16, 21:23
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?28139-Permanent-TimeShift&p=210146&viewfull=1#post210146

you can now press < or > when in a timeshift state to skip to previous/next events. pressing < will skip to the previous event and start rewinding from the end backwards, pressing > will (if anywhere in current live timeshift event) exit timeshift and go live (just like pressing stop does), if you are in a previous event it will skip to next event and start playing from the beginning.

video
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?46481-Timeshift-Help-please&p=362798&viewfull=1#post362798

Rob van der Does
29-05-16, 07:18
That means that pressing '>' is very dangerous. If one is in the last event, TS will be stopped and hence lost.
IMHO that should never stop TS, only jump to the next event (and do nothing if there is no next event).