PDA

View Full Version : Watching 2 different channels at the same time??

sn196
03-01-11, 01:51
Hi there, I have had a VU+ duo for a few months now and know im not using it to its full potential. There is one thing i would like to know...is it possible for say my wife to be watching Eastenders on the TV and me to watch a different channel on the same sattelite? I know it is dual tuner so maybe it is possible? i have tried to watch another channel by connecting via the web interface but it changes the channel on the receiver.

Is there a solution to me watching normal programms while the wife watches CR@p??

basilyoung
03-01-11, 02:17
sadly, no, other than buy another VU

baz

Huevos
03-01-11, 03:20
Of course you can watch a different channel. Just go in the web interface and click on the TV icon next to the channel you want to watch and it will start streaming. What you are doing wrong is clicking on the link text which does turn the receiver over.

Attachment shows watching an HD channel while streaming an HD channel and an SD channel to the laptop.

silverfox0786
03-01-11, 05:04
well then thats some thing even i learnt you mind explaining how your doing it then

Huevos
03-01-11, 10:02
well then thats some thing even i learnt you mind explaining how your doing it thenWhich bit? Do you mean more than one channel? As long as the channels you want to watch are only coming from 2 transponders you just keep opening streams.

In the attachment: Baby TV, Russia Today, ITV1, SyFy +1, Diva +1, and just for good measure playing a movie from the hard drive.

jonb2010
03-01-11, 11:56
Is there an option in VLC I can't see to allow more than one stream at a time ? As soon as I click on another program it opens up in the same VLC window and will only run one at a time. Running it on a Mac if that makes any difference.

dfdream
03-01-11, 12:04
No. I think its limited to 1 channel at a time.
If you look at the info bar on the VU (it does on mine anyway) the recording icon is flashing and the second tuner is also shown as in use.
I dont think you can view channels on same transponder either with another instance of VLC.

bob1
03-01-11, 12:48
Mine gets to 5 channels on the pc and 1 on the tv at the same time, i have always watched another channel like this

dfdream
03-01-11, 12:53
Bob impressive, is there a way to force each channel in Web Interface to force a new instance of VLC rather than opening the existing one.
On a side question has anyone had issues with stream stopping after a while.
Is there a way to increase the buffer or check why a stream stopped (btw wifi is fine)

bob1
03-01-11, 12:59
When i click on the streaming vlc just opens another window and runs, i never set anything up it just worked like that for me.
I have had the streaming drop out but not very often.

bob1
03-01-11, 13:32
Here we go 9 recordings 2 streams from dvb-t and 2 from satellite and the kids are in the other room watching a film on hd:cool:.

Huevos
03-01-11, 15:23
I dont think you can view channels on same transponder either with another instance of VLC.Definitely can, otherwise it wouldn't be possible.

BTW, the thing I see that Bob and I have in common is Firefox.

I have had the streaming drop out but not very often.Sometimes I lose the stream too if I move the laptop but I just put that down to the wireless link. Anyway once I put it down in a good signal area and click the play button in VLC the stream starts up again without any further ado.

GiP
03-01-11, 16:34
Hi,

as it seems that there are a lot of people that know about streaming and how it works...

Is it possible to change the audio channel that is streamed? I can only here the first audio stream and that is not good as it's not the english one for the channels I want.

If I use the TV it remembers my last chioce and uses the right one but on the PC it's only the first one and cannot find a way to change it.

G

Larry-G
03-01-11, 16:38
i'm at work now so i'm just guessing, but have you tried clicking on the audio options within VLC to see if it's streaming all the available languages and therefore allowing you to change them ?

GiP
03-01-11, 16:42
i'm at work now so i'm just guessing, but have you tried clicking on the audio options within VLC to see if it's streaming all the available languages and therefore allowing you to change them ?

Actually I haven't tried with VLC, I used the Web Interface and WebTV. I'll try with VLC this evening and see what happens. Thanks for the pointer..

G

Maxwell
03-01-11, 16:46
when streaming select the VLC Audio menu on the top bar then Audio Track and select the one you want

Larry-G
03-01-11, 16:51
when streaming select the VLC Audio menu on the top bar then Audio Track and select the one you want

yep pretty much as i suggested lol. but a wee bit more detailed LOL.

Maxwell
03-01-11, 17:04
For anyone struggling to get more than one thing streaming regardless of browser do this:

1. Open however many instances of VLC you want e.g 4
2. Open VU interface in your browser
3. Right click the TV icon for the channel you want
4. Select Copy Link Address
5. On one of the instances of VLC select Media on the top menu bar
6. Select Open Network Stream
7. Right click on the box under Please Enter A Network URL and paste the link in there
8. Press Play button at the bottom
9. Once it is streaming repeat steps 3-8 for each other instance of VLC

Note : If the channel you try to stream after the first two is not on the same transponder as them you will get an error message saying unable to Play blah blah blah

MalteseMick
03-01-11, 17:22
it's bizarre people are having issues, I always just click on the link to the right of the channel to get it to other channels stream fine, using IE and nothing funny goin on.

GiP
03-01-11, 18:01

Yep, as Pheonix said, I just tried and it works! Thanks to all, for some reason I was stuck on using WebTV instead of trusting VLC.
G

dfdream
03-01-11, 21:53
MalteeseMick do you do as maxwell4321 says and use the URL or does each click on stream local channel button open a new instance of VLC.
Because if yes this is way different to how it works for most.
The default with IE and basic install of VLC only opens one instance of VLC for 1st or subsequent streams.
Its the same with chrome or firefox.

MalteseMick
04-01-11, 01:01
I just click on the link to the right of the web EPG/bouquet which opens a new VLC media player instance, with the link to that specific channel playing in it. I don't use the embedded web player if that's what your asking.

I'll try again when I'm home next week, as I always use either Chrome or IE when browsing the web and i've never had the issue with it switching over (unless I got lucky).

dfdream
09-01-11, 14:50
Found this on VLC site.

How to play multiple instances of VLC
From VideoLAN Wiki

In version .8.5 it was easy to have multiple instances of VLC playing each with its unique stream of data.

In version .8.6x playing multiple VLC instances and different streams in each is as easy as clicking Settings -> Preferences... (note this does not exist on the Mac version):

Advanced (tick Advanced options to see all the options available)
Allow only one running instance (untick it)
This allows users to use more than one VLC player at a time.
Press Save and restart VLC.
Once you've done the above you should be able to play as many VLC instances and video or audio files as you like.
In version 0.9.6 (It works on v 1.1.5 also)

http://wiki.videolan.org/How_to_play_multiple_instances_of_VLC

You must also go to Tools -> Preferences -> (set "Show settings" to "All") -> Advanced, and uncheck "One instance when started from file".