PDA

View Full Version : Need a new box what do you recommend?

rafter_01
25-05-16, 08:31
Hi,

Would like to purchase a box for satellite but not sure what to get?

I am aware that HD Channels don't work and it's possible SD channels will be coming to an end soon but I'm still happy to invest in a box.

In the past I've owned a VU DUO twin tuner box and really liked it.

Any recommendations other than this box or shall i stick to this box? It's on for around £189, worth it now?

I'm obviously used to configuring the vuo duo box but would you recommend something different?

Cheers

john doe
25-05-16, 08:44
solo2 is a great box, but slight more than what you want to spend. £209. much beter and faster than the duo. theres a miraclebox for £199, but not sure what they are like. the next up from that would be mutant or extrend for extra £40/£50 quid.

rafter_01
25-05-16, 08:54
solo2 is a great box, but slight more than what you want to spend. £209. much beter and faster than the duo. theres a miraclebox for £199, but not sure what they are like. the next up from that would be mutant or extrend for extra £40/£50 quid.

What about xtrend et8000? A lot of people recommend this.

Is it easy to configure? Kodi?

Best place to purchase?

cheers

rafter_01
25-05-16, 09:25
http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Vu/VU-Plus-Solo-SE-V2-2x-DVB-S2

how would you compare this box to the vu duo that is for 189?

Andy_Hazza
25-05-16, 09:31
Vu+ Solo SE v2 pee wee's all over the Duo. The Duo is ancient now. It was good in its day but struggles and time for the Duo to be laid to rest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rafter_01
25-05-16, 09:46
Vu+ Solo SE v2 pee wee's all over the Duo. The Duo is ancient now. It was good in its day but struggles and time for the Duo to be laid to rest.

oh okay, thanks for the info.

In the past with my vu+ duo, I could view the box on my phone or tablet, is that still possible with the Solo SE v2? Twin tuner I assume I can play n record at the same time with the SOLO SE?

why is the Solo SE cheaper than the solo2 which is for 209?

Sicilian
25-05-16, 10:09
Solo SE does not have internal HDD facility or any front display.

If on a budget look at this http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Technomate-Linux-HD-Receivers/Technomate-TM-Nano-SE-Plus-2x-satellite-dvb-s-s2 twin tuner with internal HDD facility.

Andy_Hazza
25-05-16, 10:11
Yeah you can still view the Solo SE v2 on your phone or tablet etc. The Solo SE v2 doesn't have an internal HDD option whereas the Solo2 does. But both these boxes (Solo SE & Solo2) will let you install the vuplus-kodi so an added bonus there. [emoji4]

rafter_01
25-05-16, 10:21
Solo SE does not have internal HDD facility or any front display.

If on a budget look at this http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Technomate-Linux-HD-Receivers/Technomate-TM-Nano-SE-Plus-2x-satellite-dvb-s-s2 twin tuner with internal HDD facility.

I will take a look at this.

thanks

rafter_01
25-05-16, 10:21
Yeah you can still view the Solo SE v2 on your phone or tablet etc. The Solo SE v2 doesn't have an internal HDD option whereas the Solo2 does. But both these boxes (Solo SE & Solo2) will let you install the vuplus-kodi so an added bonus there. [emoji4]

can I play and record at the same time with this box?

Sicilian
25-05-16, 10:23
can I play and record at the same time with this box?

Yes, comes with twin tuner module. USB HDD Only, no internal HDD facility.

Andy_Hazza
25-05-16, 10:23
I'm not a fan of any Technomate's receivers. But that is my just my preference.

Sicilian
25-05-16, 10:25

Why? TM-Nano SE Plus is a superb little box for anyone looking for a compact single, twin or combo receiver with internal SATA HDD facility. I've had one in my bedroom for months, been perfect.

Andy_Hazza
25-05-16, 10:26
Yeah you can watch one n record another with the Vu+ Solo SE v2. I always prefer a box with an internal HDD option, but again that is my preference. You can even get high capacity usb flash drives nowadays so that's a good option also. [emoji4]

rafter_01
25-05-16, 10:28
Yes, comes with twin tuner module. USB HDD Only, no internal HDD facility.

sorry for the dumb q, you are referring to the solo v2 box?

External HDD no issue with that as long as I can record and play at the same time, perfect for me.

Also, if it does what vu duo did and better then it's a winner for me.

Sicilian
25-05-16, 10:29
sorry for the dumb q, you are referring to the solo v2 box?

Yes, referring to Solo SE V2.

rafter_01
25-05-16, 10:32
thanks for the replies,

Solo v2 is what ill be getting. Now need to find an external HDD from work haha

abu baniaz
25-05-16, 11:05
Best to get an external HDD with its own PSU or use a powered USB hub.

judge
25-05-16, 12:44

Been using 2 TMs full time again recently. TM Nano & TM T2 Super, both with USB-T sticks attached, working perfectly.

Andy_Hazza
25-05-16, 12:51
Yeah just my preference Judge.

abu baniaz
25-05-16, 13:09
More like dislike and bias. Not very helpful when someone giving advice.

I like the TMs because they started up as a local company in my borough. For repairs, they are only a short distance away and I can go in person. Not had to have a repair on any receiver other than the TM800 (Jtag upgrade and fan install), TM Twin and TM600 (dried PSU capacitor). My preferance for the TMs did not stop me recommending the ET8000 which was the most cost effective receive while in stock.

My TMs have been fine ever since the recording issue. Only minor niggles like all other receivers have. We reported an issue and it got fixed within 24 hours, not had that for a while. Even got a thank you from TM.

scottmcmullan8
25-05-16, 13:38
Nano 3T is a great combo receiver also and at 185 - only issue that I have had with mine it is sometimes will freeze with blue spinner on screen and has to be powered off and on (once or twice a week if on all the time). Couple of the guys on here reported this and not sure what it is. Off track there but what I was trying to say was I wouldn't be put of technomate but again it is all personal preference with these things.