PDA

View Full Version : Edision OS Mini Combo total Ram is low !

gadget-man
24-05-16, 18:19
Hi there,

I've had my Edision Combo box for some weeks now and noticed when I check my total ram it says 249mb when it should be 512mb.

Anyone know why this is so low ?

My epg is saving to an external drive not the internal flash.

Thanks.

aido
24-05-16, 18:40
It's like RAM on your computer and it's used by the running programs and OS so you would expect to see what you're seeing there

Sicilian
24-05-16, 19:00
Some of the ram is reserved for system services just like a PC does.

gadget-man
24-05-16, 22:08
Ok thanks for the replies, I just thought it would display the actual total ram to start with and then what's free after the OS etc. Mine says 93mb free, does not seem like much left. Someone else who has the same box said they have around 350mb free.

On pc's like my one it displays my total memory i.e. 16gb or 8gb etc.

Thanks

danlou
25-05-16, 14:28
I may be on the wrong track...

But have you set up your swapfile on external device? If not, it may be that your internal RAM is 'doing more work'?

Andy_Hazza
25-05-16, 14:48
No need for a swap file on the Edison OS Mini.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

danlou
25-05-16, 15:20
No need for a swap file on the Edison OS Mini.

Why is that Andy? I have set up a few boxes and created a swapfile 256mb each time. Is it because we are saying this is enough system RAM to handle whatever processing is going on? I suppose also by having a swapfile externally is only activated (used ) when system ram memory is low. Probably I am getting mixed up with Paging?

Andy_Hazza
25-05-16, 15:25
Just no need, will do more harm than good. Boxes like Vu+ Duo, Vu+ Solo, TM Twin OE I can understand but certainly not newer boxes.

danlou
25-05-16, 15:59
Just no need, will do more harm than good. Boxes like Vu+ Duo, Vu+ Solo, TM Twin OE I can understand but certainly not newer boxes.

Now, I'm curious...
What harm would this be exactly?
All the machines have same image on so why would it be different?

Andy_Hazza
25-05-16, 16:10
A swap file is only needed for receivers that struggle especially with CrossEPG and Vu+ Duo, Vu+ Solo2 and TW Twin OE to name a few that struggles with this process. When I say do more harm than good, It could have a negative effect on the responsiveness etc and can become sluggish. Really no need at all for the new generation of boxes.

Bangord30
26-05-16, 08:14
Sorry to interrupt, should my xtrend 8000 have a swap file enabled???

Sicilian
26-05-16, 08:38
Sorry to interrupt, should my xtrend 8000 have a swap file enabled???

No need, no.

stu232
14-06-16, 18:40
Should a Dreambox 800 SE need a swap file?

Andy_Hazza
14-06-16, 19:50
Should a Dreambox 800 SE need a swap file?

Compare the specs to the Vu+ Duo & Vu+ Solo, if alike then yes.