PDA

View Full Version : Best multi-tuner cable receiver with recording capabilities

danlou
21-05-16, 17:28
Best multi-tuner cable receiver with recording capabilities?

hello

I'm looking for a suitable cable receiver. It requires:

mutlt-tuner at least two
hard-disk capable
suitable performance - decent PQ, response
budget £250 to £300

I know I have choice around Miraclebox box Ultra, Vu+ Solo SE V2 Twin Tuner range, Xtrend ET10000,

Any recommendations as to which of the above and why, please?

Andy_Hazza
21-05-16, 18:34
Cable and Satellite?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

twol
21-05-16, 18:52
Best multi-tuner cable receiver with recording capabilities?

hello

I'm looking for a suitable cable receiver. It requires:

mutlt-tuner at least two
hard-disk capable
suitable performance - decent PQ, response
budget £250 to £300

I know I have choice around Miraclebox box Ultra, Vu+ Solo SE V2 Twin Tuner range, Xtrend ET10000,

Any recommendations as to which of the above and why, please?
Xtrend or Mut@nt.
Why because they are current receivers that can handle the majority of requirements well and are still supported by their manufacturers.

danlou
22-05-16, 13:54
Cable and Satellite?

it has to be cable really as that is already in-situ

danlou
22-05-16, 13:55
Xtrend or Mut@nt.
Why because they are current receivers that can handle the majority of requirements well and are still supported by their manufacturers.

thanks, any reason why not Miracle Ultra?

danlou
22-05-16, 13:58
looks like WoS don't have any Mutant receivers to sell, maybe discontinued?
http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Hybrid-Cable-Terrestrial-Digital-HD-Receivers/Mutant-Linux-HD-Hybrid-Cable-Terrestrial-Receivers

Andy_Hazza
22-05-16, 14:19
Stef at WoS raves about this receiver >> http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Hybrid-Cable-Terrestrial-Digital-HD-Receivers/Miraclebox-Linux-HD-Hybrid-Cable-Terrestrial-Receivers/Miraclebox-Premium-Twin-plus-3x-dvb-c-t-t2

twol
22-05-16, 14:36
looks like WoS don't have any Mutant receivers to sell, maybe discontinued?
http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Hybrid-Cable-Terrestrial-Digital-HD-Receivers/Mutant-Linux-HD-Hybrid-Cable-Terrestrial-Receivers
Looks like most receiver providers are getting ready for new ranges :)

danlou
22-05-16, 20:29
Looks like most receiver providers are getting ready for new ranges :)

Can WoS start disconting their existing range please???:thumbsup:

danlou
22-05-16, 23:11
whats the difference between Miraclebox premium twin+ 3 tuner and Miraclebox ultra? tried looking on WoS website and can't find the Ultra link anymore...

Andy_Hazza
23-05-16, 07:22
The mb premium+ is the new receiver and has better specs than the ultra.

Rob van der Does
23-05-16, 09:04
ET10000 is poorly supported by Xtrend and doesn't allow 4 DVB-C tuners (but 3 are fine).

danlou
23-05-16, 20:54
ET10000 is poorly supported by Xtrend and doesn't allow 4 DVB-C tuners (but 3 are fine).

Why do you say that Rob? In what way? Upgrades, bug-fixes?

Rob van der Does
23-05-16, 21:38
The box hasn't had any updates for ages. Soon after the 8k & 10k were released, some new boxes were released that got all the attention (many updates). And now that it has (new kernel & drivers), things go wrong without any response from the manufacturer.
And apart from that both 8k&10k have some issues, whilst others of the same series have not. And production has stopped; that must have a reason as well.

imish
25-05-16, 19:33
The mb premium+ is the new receiver and has better specs than the ultra.

I have read that the premium is fanless unlike the ultra but the ultra has a transcoder...

Rest of the specs look the same if not identical....perhaps someone can clarify

Sicilian
25-05-16, 20:13
Twin+ is fanless, no transcoding on it yet, its been asked for, but still waiting.

danlou
25-05-16, 22:31
No transcoding? Does that mean I can't stream to a PC or phone for example with the Twin+;
Will I be able to watch via Kodi with the VU+ PLUGIN?

Sent from my Vodafone Smart ultra 6 using Tapatalk

scottmcmullan8
27-05-16, 10:55
I have read that the premium is fanless unlike the ultra but the ultra has a transcoder...

Rest of the specs look the same if not identical....perhaps someone can clarify

As far as I'm aware there is a different processor in the twin+ and the ultra. The Ultra has the BCM7424 chipset (Same as the Mut@nt2400 and the Duo2) and the Twin+ has the BCM7241 (Same as SoloSE and ET8000).

Maybe software transcoding is something they could offer on the Twin+ going forward.

Rob van der Does
27-05-16, 11:42
There is no such thing as 'softeware transcoding'. Transcoding is a very heavy task, that can't possibly be done by any STB SoC.
See the CPU-usage of e.g. the Solo2 while transcoding: still only a few percent.
Hardware support for transcoding is required; in case of the Solo2 this is very limited, for the ET8000 it is non existent, for the DUO2 it is quite extended.

scottmcmullan8
27-05-16, 12:41
There is no such thing as 'softeware transcoding'. Transcoding is a very heavy task, that can't possibly be done by any STB SoC.
See the CPU-usage of e.g. the Solo2 while transcoding: still only a few percent.
Hardware support for transcoding is required; in case of the Solo2 this is very limited, for the ET8000 it is non existent, for the DUO2 it is quite extended.

Ah ok didn't know this just picked it up when reading something online. So the Solo2 supports hardware transcoding or not? And what about the SoC in the Miraclebox Premium Twin+? Not something I would use anyway but just curious.

Rob van der Does
27-05-16, 13:16
So the Solo2 supports hardware transcoding or not?
Apparently, otherwise it wouldn't work.

And what about the SoC in the Miraclebox Premium Twin+?
No idea; I'm not familiar with that box.

scottmcmullan8
27-05-16, 13:42
Apparently, otherwise it wouldn't work.

No idea; I'm not familiar with that box.

Forgive me if this has been answered then but what is it that hardware transcoding actually offers?

If you can stream from your satellite box to your laptop using openwebif or your phone using an app like dreamplayer (for me mblive tv works) - what benefit does hardware transcoding offer? Is this is you want to stream from your box if you are on an external network somewhere?

Rob van der Does
27-05-16, 16:34
'Transcoding' decreases the required bandwidth for streaming, by decreasing the resolution and/or bitrate. This is very useful for watching TV & recordings from outside your LAN, as that depends on the upload speed your ISP offers you.

scottmcmullan8
27-05-16, 18:03
'Transcoding' decreases the required bandwidth for streaming, by decreasing the resolution and/or bitrate. This is very useful for watching TV & recordings from outside your LAN, as that depends on the upload speed your ISP offers you.
Thanks for clearing that up. Not something that i would ever make use of then but can see why some people might want it :)

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk