PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Duo2] New remote control suggestions

tomos
21-05-16, 10:50
Hi All,

Could anyone suggest a good alternative remote to the standard remote that shipped with the Duo2

Thanks

Tom.

Ashley69
21-05-16, 11:13
http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Replacement-Remote-Controls/VU-Plus-Remote-Controls/VU-Duo-Duo2-Duo-2-Solo-Uno-Ultimo-Genuine-Universal-Remote-Control.

I switched to this one when my original started playing up. Great remote.

Trial
21-05-16, 11:32
Hi,
Logitech Harmony. Best option Harmony 650 and up.

ciao

Ichi
21-05-16, 12:18
This vid might fix problems with duo2 remotes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqesz7v7u1A
Just pencil it in, fixed buttons that before had to push down really hard

Andy_Hazza
21-05-16, 13:18
The Vu+ universal remote is by far the best remote available. See here >> http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Replacement-Remote-Controls/VU-Plus-Remote-Controls/VU-Duo-Duo2-Duo-2-Solo-Uno-Ultimo-Genuine-Universal-Remote-Control

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tomos
22-05-16, 19:32
Hi Ichi,
The video worked a treat, thanks a lot, Tomos.

twol
22-05-16, 20:03
The Vu+ universal remote is by far the best remote available. See here >> http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Replacement-Remote-Controls/VU-Plus-Remote-Controls/VU-Duo-Duo2-Duo-2-Solo-Uno-Ultimo-Genuine-Universal-Remote-Control

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Andy, you have convinced me that Vu+ can make remotes that work, pity about their other products!:)

Andy_Hazza
22-05-16, 20:15
Andy, you have convinced me that Vu+ can make remotes that work, pity about their other products!:)

lol......... The Vu+ Solo2 is a fab box!

Rob van der Does
22-05-16, 21:10
The Vu+ universal remote is by far the best remote available.
I absolutely disagree; Logitech harmony all the way.
You can't even compare any device-RC with an activity based RC.

pmatil
23-05-16, 05:50
The original Vu+ remote (new model: http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/image/cache/data/VU/VU-DUO2-REMOTE-500x500.jpg) is OK but not great. The problem is in the narrow and slippery buttons. Also the DVR buttons are in the upper part which is not handy at all if you want to operate them using your thumb. I find that Logitech Harmony 350 is much better (DVR buttons reachable by thumb) and of course programmable. The only problem is that you cannot program the Power Button to send a long signal (which has a power menu function in many boxes).

Rob van der Does
23-05-16, 06:22
Not sure about the Harmony 350, but in all Harmonies 600 & up this is no problem at all.

You forgot to mention that the original RC doesn't have backlit buttons, like all Harmonies have.

Edit: there is no need to program long-power in the Harmony at all; that programming is done in the box (e.g. via 'button setup'). Just hold the power button for some time to send a long-button command.

psykix
23-05-16, 08:38
I absolutely disagree; Logitech harmony all the way.
You can't even compare any device-RC with an activity based RC.

Have to agree with this. I can't abide the remote that came with my Solo4K. It's just too spongy for my liking.

I use a Harmony Ultimate, but they make sense really only if you have an amp with multiple inputs. I have Solo4k, Shield TV, Xbox One so makes all that nice and easy :-)

Andy_Hazza
23-05-16, 17:59
Have to agree with this. I can't abide the remote that came with my Solo4K. It's just too spongy for my liking.

I use a Harmony Ultimate, but they make sense really only if you have an amp with multiple inputs. I have Solo4k, Shield TV, Xbox One so makes all that nice and easy :-)

Are you selling the Vu+ remote then? [emoji6]

Rob van der Does
23-05-16, 18:56
I would never do that; keep the box complete.
I only use an original VU-RC after a fresh install, as the default code is then '2', while my harmonies are setup for different codes for several VU's. But that's only for the first few button-punches.

pmatil
24-05-16, 05:32
Not sure about the Harmony 350, but in all Harmonies 600 & up this is no problem at all.

You forgot to mention that the original RC doesn't have backlit buttons, like all Harmonies have.

But the 350 does not have.

Edit: there is no need to program long-power in the Harmony at all; that programming is done in the box (e.g. via 'button setup'). Just hold the power button for some time to send a long-button command.

That's the thing, you cannot. Pressing the power button does not send a long command no matter how long you press the button. I had a long discussion about this with Logitech support and finally they confirmed that if you need the long power button command you have to use another button for it.

Rob van der Does
24-05-16, 05:56
1- a 350 is just a device-RC; not one I would recommend.
2- All Harmonies I've ever used (555/600/900/1100) have no issues whatsoever sending a long-command.

Trial
24-05-16, 07:24
Hi Rob,
i think he means the all off button.

Ralf

Gesendet von meinem SM-G900F mit Tapatalk

psykix
24-05-16, 08:51

Nah, I always keep them in case I decide to sell!

Rob van der Does
24-05-16, 09:33
i think he means the all off button.
If that's the case he could use 'button setup' on the STB to let the (short)-power button do what he wants to achieve.

pmatil
26-05-16, 05:18
If that's the case he could use 'button setup' on the STB to let the (short)-power button do what he wants to achieve.

You cannot map "Power Menu" to a single command button. In the button setup you can only map the button to do one of the Power commands like Standby, Restart Enigma, Deep Standby. The Power Menu function is hardcoded to long power button press. At least it's in OpenVIX, no idea about other images.

Rob van der Does
26-05-16, 05:29
'Power menu' is not hardcoded to 'long-power'. To give you an example: I have 'long-power' assigned to 'deep sleep' via 'Button setup'.
But you're right that the complete 'power menu' cannot be assigned to a button, only dedicated power commands.

But back to your issue: the 'power off activity' of a Harmony will never send a 'long-power' command; it sends a normal power toggle. I wonder why you would like a long-power then? IMHO you'd better go to the menu and do what you want to do directly before powering-off the activity, or assign power-toggle via button setup to what you want to do. Or create an additional button for power (if your Harmony allows you to do that; not sure about that).
And coming to that: what exactly is it you want to achieve?

pmatil
26-05-16, 17:29
I just wanted the same functionality for the power button than the original remote has. But with the 350 I have to use another way.

Rob van der Does
26-05-16, 17:43
1- But you still haven't told us what 'power button' you mean. If it's the all power off button (to end an activity like watching TV) it will indeed be the 'power-toggle' that's being sent. But then you can still set the function of that button in 'Button setup' (although I fail to see what you would want to achieve with that).

And 'the same functionality for the power button as the original remote has' is rather vague, as it doesn't tell me what exactly you want to achieve. Again: you can crete a new button with the function 'power' and assign any function to it via 'Button setup'.

pmatil
30-05-16, 06:21
1- But you still haven't told us what 'power button' you mean. If it's the all power off button (to end an activity like watching TV) it will indeed be the 'power-toggle' that's being sent. But then you can still set the function of that button in 'Button setup' (although I fail to see what you would want to achieve with that).

Sorry I don't know why it's so hard to explain this. The power button is the one in this picture (the small one at the top part, just right of the 4 light-colored buttons with the power symbol): https://assets.logitech.com/assets/51204/5/harmony-350-control-sm-promo.png

That button, by default sends the "power toggle" command. And that's fine as a command but as you cannot send a long signal by just keeping the button pressed (to get shutdown menu) you have to map that "power toggle" command to some other button. This is the limitation of the remote. So the power button in the 350 cannot be configured to function like in the original VU+ remote.

Rob van der Does
30-05-16, 06:44
It's not difficult: you just never told.
So again: that's the 'all power off' button, that cannot be assigned to any button. But why would you?
But the 'powertoggle' that it sends can be set via 'Button Setup' if you really want to do it something else.
And also again: you can assign any other RC-button (a button you don't use) to 'power-long' and use ButtonSetup to assign a function to it.

PS: In the next ViX build (4.1.011) you will find that the power-menu can also be assigned. I added that especially for you :)

ccs
30-05-16, 09:38
And also again: you can assign any other RC-button (a button you don't use) to 'power-long' and use ButtonSetup to assign a function to it.
I use the "E" button. Long press works ok.

Rob van der Does
30-05-16, 10:06
Yep, that's a logical one.

ccs
30-05-16, 10:14
Yep, that's a logical one.It would be if it has one - I thought the picture was a harmony one.
I must look more carefully!

Rob van der Does
30-05-16, 10:55
I surely see the 'E' on the bottom right button. Or use the '+' bottom left. Or......

pmatil
31-05-16, 05:54
So again: that's the 'all power off' button, that cannot be assigned to any button. But why would you?

Sorry I don't understand. What can't I assign to any button? I haven't found any all-off functions in the remote except if it's the Watch TV button in the top left corner that powers all of the devices on. Maybe it powers them off as well? I don't use that button at all.

This is the way to do it yes. I only need to assign a "power toggle" to a button and then press the button long enough for the menu to appear. Also Logitech Support added a command for me that sends a power toggle command for 3 seconds with a single press and release of a button.

PS: In the next ViX build (4.1.011) you will find that the power-menu can also be assigned. I added that especially for you :)

Ha, thanks Rob! Very much appreciated. I haven't upgraded yet but want to avoid the EPG crash so will do it soon.

Rob van der Does
31-05-16, 06:21
4.1.011 isn't out yet; 4.1.010 is the actual image. So be patient please.

pmatil
01-06-16, 11:04
Yep I know. That's why I will probably wait for it before upgrading from 008.

baz2011uk
09-06-16, 00:29
This vid might fix problems with duo2 remotes
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqesz7v7u1A
Just pencil it in, fixed buttons that before had to push down really hard

just did this on mine and worked a treat on the left and right on the chrome circle buttons