PDA

View Full Version : Complete Novice

Jamieb11
20-05-16, 22:50
Hi everyone!

First post and complete novice so be gentle with me!

I'm looking to buy a Vu+ Solo 2, but am a bit confused by all the different options. Would someone be able to point me in the direction of an "idiot's guide" on what I should be ordering?

I have a s*y satellite dish already, would like to be able to record one channel while viewing another, have a decent sized hdd either internal or external.

Thanking you all in advance.

Jamie

Andy_Hazza
20-05-16, 23:06
The Vu+ Solo2 is an excellent receiver. Internal HDD always the best route to go imo. Take a look here >> http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Vu/VU-Solo-2-Solo2-Twin-Tuner-DVB-S2-HD-Enigma2-Linux-Satellite-Receiver
You are sure to get a genuine receiver if you ordered from the sponsors website (WoS) from the link provided.
The Vu+ Solo2 will let you record a channel and watch another, has a fantastic remote and if you had ViX installed, you will have the best image available to provide you with a great user experience. [emoji4]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jamieb11
21-05-16, 07:03
Thanks Andy, that all sounds perfect.

Just a bit confused by all the options on the product page. Why would I want/need wifi? What is a network power line for? Is there a benefit to having another tuner?

Just wondering what to order, and why!

Thanks again

J

Andy_Hazza
21-05-16, 08:23
Wifi adapter is if you wanted to connect the box wireless. Homeplugs is connecting to your receiver to your router via electric mains. Best option is hardwired imo, so cat5/6 cable from router and into your Vu+ Solo2. Internal HDD the best option for storage so you have 3 options; 320GB, 500GB or 1TB with 1TB being the highest capacity Hard Drive available to you from WoS. USB storage is just if you wanted a usb stick for future image flashing. ViX imo is the best image to use. The additional tuner is if you wanted to connect a terrestrial or cable to your receiver also.
Basically WoS are just giving you all the available options to you for that receiver. So for instance in the Wifi options tab I would personally change to "not required", then in the firmware/image tab I would change to "OpenViX (latest)" etc etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jamieb11
21-05-16, 11:19
Thank you so much, you've been incredibly helpful.

Last question (I promise) am I able to just plug in the s*y cable into the back, or do I need to worry about the dish direction, connectors etc...?

Thanks again
Jamie

adm
21-05-16, 11:22
Thank you so much, you've been incredibly helpful.

Last question (I promise) am I able to just plug in the s*y cable into the back, or do I need to worry about the dish direction, connectors etc...?

Thanks again
Jamie

If you have a working sky dish then you just need to plug in the cables. UK Freesat is exactly the same cluster of satellites as Sky and the dish/cables/LNB are interchangeable.

Jamieb11
21-05-16, 12:36
Thank you. I am placing my order as we speak.