PDA

View Full Version : Vu 4K - use as 4K media player via USB?

scooby81
10-05-16, 21:13
Greetings all,

Anyone have any experience with using the Vu4K to play 2160p media files from a USB drive?

I have checked out VLC (server but not a local player) and Kodi (GUI outputs at 720p so assume it won't output media in 2160p).

Anyone know of another media player I should investigate?

Thanks

twol
10-05-16, 21:31
Greetings all,

Anyone have any experience with using the Vu4K to play 2160p media files from a USB drive?

I have checked out VLC (server but not a local player) and Kodi (GUI outputs at 720p so assume it won't output media in 2160p).

Anyone know of another media player I should investigate?

Thanks
If you want a media player then look at the Zappiti 4K player, has great software to build video/movie libraries ...... As well as playing almost any format from usb, NAs etc
French company but been around for some time and innovative

scooby81
10-05-16, 21:35
If you want a media player then look at the Zappiti 4K player, has great software to build video/movie libraries ...... As well as playing almost any format from usb, NAs etc
French company but been around for some time and innovative

Thanks Twol - looks nice.

I should have been clearer - I meant other software plugins for the Vu4K that would be good for playing back the media files - right now I am messing around with the MediaPlayer plugin and testing

Trial
11-05-16, 07:56
Hi,
the VU+ Solo 4K can play external 4K but they must be h265 coded not h264. For media play I would rather take a look at the Solo 4K (what a name:-))) from HDI Dune because it has a Sigmal Design chip and these were better than Realtek in the past. On the other hand zappiti is really nice and I use it for my old HDI.

ciao

twol
11-05-16, 08:47
Hi,
the VU+ Solo 4K can play external 4K but they must be h265 coded not h264. For media play I would rather take a look at the Solo 4K (what a name:-))) from HDI Dune because it has a Sigmal Design chip and these were better than Realtek in the past. On the other hand zappiti is really nice and I use it for my old HDI.

ciao
Scooby81, the difference with both the Zappiti and HDI Dune boxes (true media players), is that they can play any format without messing around :)
Trial - totally agree on the HDI Dune :) For my sins I have 3 Dunes (2 x Prime 3.0 and a TV 303 D) and have used the Zappiti software for an eternity. I also have a Mede8er (given to me, so I could continue to set up a friends box!) which if it used the Zappiti software would be good but ....
I pushed the Zappiti box because they added all the extra's to Dune to make it work for me and others with big video libraries and they have been really brilliant retailers (amazed I am saying this for a French company :) ) adding real value to their boxes.